The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Green needs to get Jake up on Petey's left wing.  I like Ferkland, but he's too old for our next core.  Guys who play his style often burn out in their late 20s.

No way the Canucks trade Virtanen.  He's been in primarily a defensive role all year playing a 200 ft game and doing alright at it and playing with discipline knowing bad penalties will cost the team points in the standings.  I like Virtanen a lot, but do want to see more scoring and/or more aggression from him.  I think he deserves a shot on Petey's wing.  Let's find out now if he can rise to the occasion and get like 19 goals this year.    

Fans are likely thinking Ferland can create space for EP and offer up protection at the same time, but, teams might target EP more knowing Ferland might react and take a bad penalty.  I guess Gretzky had Semenko, different era.  I think there has to be a better player to play with EP.  Canucks have to aspire to build the best line in hockey around him.  

21 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd be skeptical to give up Dahlen. Even with Ferlund, we'd still be pretty weak on the left side, and Dahlen is someone I could see eventually slotting in beside Horvat.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Either Goldobin or Granlund (depending on whether they'd be more interested in a player with more durability or a player with a higher offensive ceiling), our 2nd and Madden.

edit: And yes, I am aware that stating we're weak on the left side while also offering up Goldobin may be a bit hypocritical, but I really don't see Goldobin here in the long term.

We may not have to give up much or anything for Ferland considering he will probably walk..  the thing is to offer something that the Canes could use, a better offer than other clubs.. on Ferlands commitment to sign.

Maybe a 2 year offer at 4.5 for both the Player and the Canucks to try to do better with, when it nears its term.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

They sure are.  Play/played a very similar type game.  Ferland is the only one of the three that played regular time with ppg or near ppg players and his point totals show it.  Where as Virtanen/Clutterbuck both play/played in the bottom 3.  Their point totals at their respective and comparable ages show that very clearly.  Had Clutterbuck played with Tavares in NYI or a line with Neidereitter and Granlund while in Minni his point totals would have looked very different to within 10-20 points which puts him quite comparably with Ferland especially with his very specific role.  

Virtanen at 22 is currently and seamlessly surpassing ferlands point totals at the sdame age with his deployment while playing less of a role with lesser linemates.

The offers people are putting out there for this guy are absolutely Chia-Esque in their foolishness.

Their point totals may be similar, but their improvement curves are not. Besides, Ferlands presence on the ice has always far exceeded Virtanens. Ferland was drafted as an enforcer, and his transformation into a power forward took many by surprise. Virt was drafted as a power forward and has always been utilized as a power forward. So, when you say their point totals were the same at the same age, it doesn't sound very good that an enforcer was scoring just as much as a power forward. I still hope virt will develop into a higher scoring power forward, but Ferland is already there and I don't know if Virt will ever have Ferland's ice presence.

2 minutes ago, Singh13 said:

Perhaps this trade works

To Car

N. Goldobin- On pace for 42 points

L. Jasek- will be replaced by Lockwood

2019 sixth round pick

To Van

M. Ferland- Trade and extension- on pace for 51 points

S. Darling- Lessen the trade value of Ferland by taking a bad contract to help out in utica. Who knows maybe he becomes the goalie he once was.

Thoughts?

This would work if we took Ferland as a rental and gambled that he wanted to sign with us. Hate the thought of losing Jasek though. His performance curves have been completely unexpected in a good way.

7 minutes ago, Singh13 said:

Perhaps this trade works

To Car

N. Goldobin- On pace for 42 points

L. Jasek- will be replaced by Lockwood

2019 sixth round pick

To Van

M. Ferland- Trade and extension- on pace for 51 points

S. Darling- Lessen the trade value of Ferland by taking a bad contract to help out in utica. Who knows maybe he becomes the goalie he once was.

Thoughts?

Goldobin playing in the east could be good for him. But I would think that because Goldobin has been and still is a project player there would need to be a little more involved going to the canes. Im thinking a conditional pick of a third, or a second if he scores at less that .25 points per game kind of deal

or goldy and Lind of gadjovich

however gadjovich could very well turn into what ferland offers.

i think waiting until FA would ultimately be the best way to acquire him

Would like to have Ferland but our best choice is to try sign him as a FA.

Carolina has been linked to W.Nylander for a while. Now that he is signed and playing maybe TO does a trade for Ferland sending Willie the other way. Likely on a signed extension in place.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wonder if Tyler Madden is a piece that might interest Carolina? A US born player and someone who's stock has risen exponentially after lighting it up at the world juniors.

Sure, you hate to have to cough up a prospect of Madden's quality for a 26 year old player on an expiring contract, but you have to give a little to get a little.

Just a thought.

Hell no! Hard pass on that.

Elliotte Friedman just needed his mid-week entertainment, and he got just that by adding Vancouver’s name to the ‘long list’ of teams looking at Ferland. 

JB is wise enough to deal with shedding the big/silly contracts of some of the veterans...planning his cap space for the very young and rising stars we have...AND ONLY THEN...prob look at bringing in someone like Ferland who will be demanding big money for a long time. 

So chill out people, and let’s see JB’s plan unfold.

And chill out even more to those who think that the Canes would want Sutter and Granny (plus other assets) in a trade for Ferland. Keep dreaming! ;)

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

@Alflives He is NOT too old..  I believe he is 26?  Perfect prime age for any young power forward..

like I have mentioned, if he has resolved his off ice issues,. This young man will be a beast for 4-5 years.

... remember this ...

sure would look good in blue green and white...

I didn’t know Ferland even had office stuff before.  I wonder about his age fitting in with our next core though.  Is Ferland still going to be as effective physically in 2-4 years, when our next core is primed to compete firs Cup?  A lot of these tough guys, who play like Ferland, kind of lose their mojo in their late 20’s.  They slow down, and the way they play takes a serious toll on their hands, and shoulders.  I do like the guy though, and would gladly swap Baer for him.  

59 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Their point totals may be similar, but their improvement curves are not. Besides, Ferlands presence on the ice has always far exceeded Virtanens. Ferland was drafted as an enforcer, and his transformation into a power forward took many by surprise. Virt was drafted as a power forward and has always been utilized as a power forward. So, when you say their point totals were the same at the same age, it doesn't sound very good that an enforcer was scoring just as much as a power forward. I still hope virt will develop into a higher scoring power forward, but Ferland is already there and I don't know if Virt will ever have Ferland's ice presence.

Actually, and again it's important to note.  That if Virtanen was drafted as a PWF, Ferland was drafted as a PWF...Gaudreau was drafted as a scoring winger.  Two of those players FAR exceeded their draft status and played  together.  A 4th and 5th round pick which is a great thing for Calgary. Not mentioning of course that they both also played with a 6th OA pick in Tkachuk as well at times.  But Jake has never had that joy, neither did Clutterbuck.  They are very similar players drafted for and played in very similar roles.

When you look at Ferland at 22, Clutterbuck at 22, Jake at 22 (now) it's clear who the better player is/will be based on their production at age 22 alone.  Except only one of those players is still only 22

As well...did you seriously offer Sutter AND a 1st for Ferland?  Then say it's the price to pay for Sutters bad contract?  That's insane on the face of it 

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn’t know Ferland even had office stuff before.  I wonder about his age fitting in with our next core though.  Is Ferland still going to be as effective physically in 2-4 years, when our next core is primed to compete firs Cup?  A lot of these tough guys, who play like Ferland, kind of lose their mojo in their late 20’s.  They slow down, and the way they play takes a serious toll on their hands, and shoulders.  I do like the guy though, and would gladly swap Baer for him.  

Think of MF as Gino 3.0 ;)

It’s a good fit age wise Alf..

Erikksson, Sutter, Schaller, to name a few on the way out.

i think next year will be a treat for us,  if we can have Ferland for 4-5 years without trade clauses..

4.5m-5 per (that’s like last seasons 3.5-4m salary the way the cap is growing).

Gino ! Gino ! Gino !

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

It’s a good fit age wise Alf..

Erikksson, Sutter, Schaller, to name a few on the way out.

i think next year will be a treat for us,  if we can have Ferland for 4-5 years without trade clauses..

4.5m-5 per (that’s like last seasons 3.5-4m salary the way the cap is growing).

It sure would be nice to see Ferland riding shotgun on Petey’s wing?  Do you think JB will look seriously at Ferland?

I'll stand by what I've said before, we're not in a position organizationally to give up the assets for Ferland unless there's an extension agreement in place. In spite of our surprising season thus far we're still rebuilding and not in a position to give up assets for nothing. I don't believe we're in a place to compete with the offers of teams with better depth and prospect pools either. I'm def not for giving up our first rounder.

I'd def inquire and see what he's looking for and what it'd take to get him outta Carolina but I'd hope we're willing to walk away too. Make him an offer come July 1st because he'll likely see what's out there as a UFA if someone ain't willing to throw big money at him.

Archived