The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aucoin spills the beans about ex-Canucks teammates. Best Interview ever

JustNazzy

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As I recall Bure scored ALOT of shorthanded goals.  Mogilny was a superstar player, but his laziness cost him a chance to truly be one of the greats.  Both great players but one MAJOR thing separates the two...

Pavel Bure was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012.  Alexander  Mogilny was not.  Case closed...

The second you call Mogilny lazy I know you have zero clue what you're talking about. 

Newsflash effortless looking =/= lazy. 

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

That quote was about mogilny

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

You know that Aucion is talking about Mogilny right?  Bure was a more explosive skater, otherwise their skill sets were similar.  Expect Mogilny backchecked and played defense too, something Bure never showed much interest in although would come back when he saw opportunities to get the puck...most of the time he stayed back waiting for a pass though.   Having watched both of them during all there time here, Alex was the better player at that time.  Going to NJ didnt do his numbers any favours but it did get him a cup, and his numbers still were very good for how many he played, and that he played half his career in the dead puck era.

Perhaps I quoted too much, read the first line again.

"Alex, he was not the most motivated player..."

10 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The craziest thing about Mogilny is that he was a 5th round pick! 89th overall in the 1988 draft.

Yeah there was this thing called Communism... Iron Curtain... guys like Kharlamov were never drafted because of it. Had that been today Mogilny would have been top 5 pick for sure.

Mogilny vs Bure

I was around watching those games. Mogilny was great, but he relied on having a good center in Ronning to dish him the puck. Bure could change the game all on his own, and more, he wanted to every shift. Bure had the passion that I didn't see in Mogilny. To be fair we got Mogilny just as, or just before he was declining. He had his best year in his first with the Canucks. Then for some reason Quinn just let Ronning walk for nothing. Mogilny talked about how that decision affected his play and his desire to play here. He and Ronning had something special. I still do not know why they didn't let Ronning finish his career here, or at least while Mogilny was here to keep Alex happy.

Mogilny had the ability to change a game too, but more and more the longer he was here, he took shifts off. Maybe it was laziness, maybe it was just natural decline, but using the eye test, Bure just wanted it more. Not that Mogilny was not a great player, but  Bure > Mogilny all day long.

Pre-back injury, Mogilny was an absolute monster. He was essentially playing with a sponge back after his first season with us, and I think  that’s why he wasn’t really “motivated” enough to play the way we hoped for, in his Buffalo days. He probably didn’t want to risk further damaging his back.

10 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

It actually isn't that crazy. It was how Russia was. 

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Yeah there was this thing called Communism... Iron Curtain... guys like Kharlamov were never drafted because of it. Had that been today Mogilny would have been top 5 pick for sure.

Yes, I understand this, it was a political thing. The corn fed Canadian boys got selected first and after that talent pool was all dried up they  gave some Ruskies a shot. It's still crazy though that they put politics before talent back in those days, but I guess that's just the way it was.

17 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

It's still crazy though that they put politics before talent back in those days, but I guess that's just the way it was.

Not crazy at all.

Why waste a high pick on a Soviet player that most likely would never be allowed to leave the Soviet block.

Much better to pick a player you know will be allowed to play here.

23 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Yes, I understand this, it was a political thing. The corn fed Canadian boys got selected first and after that talent pool was all dried up they  gave some Ruskies a shot. It's still crazy though that they put politics before talent back in those days, but I guess that's just the way it was.

That's the thing though man. Russians weren't allowed out. Mogilny defected. Very dangerous. 

5 hours ago, Boeserker said:

Perhaps I quoted too much, read the first line again.

"Alex, he was not the most motivated player..."

He was the best player on our team while he was there regardless, and yes I’d say that includes Bure who was injured for a good portion of it.  Bure wasn’t a plus monster, most years he was around zero but more than made up for it on special teams (both ones).    I watched as many games as I could back then, anyone that was televised and used the radio for those that weren’t (going back to around when Linden was drafted),  for those who did as well you know what I’m talking about, Bure was the most exciting player I’ve ever watched, but he did have his flaws, and those were mostly his lack of responsibility away from the puck which is where Mogilny had more value.

Mogilny was like EP in his skill set, he was so far ahead of most of his peers that he might do anything at any given time.  Whatever Aucion meant about his lack of motivation didn’t affect how he played on the ice while he was in Vancouver.  Later on he became a key piece in a NJ team who happened to have the best offense in the East if not the entire league and got his cup.

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Been missing that key component for yrs..

Absolutely.  Who was the last forward that we had who could blow someone apart along the boards or simple muscle his way to the net and score a goal.  Bertuzzi.  Horvat has shown some promise in that regard but he usually gets picked off after he gets by the first guy.  JV would have to show something very soon to meet this standard...he’s got the tools, but doesn’t seem to fit it all together well and avoids the tougher areas way too much (maybe WD is still screaming in his ear to not lose the puck on hard plays or something) and plays too much time on the perimeter.  

Horvat is the best we have at the moment, could be worse but also could be better.   Nobody in the system either, unless Madden puts on some serious weight and height over the next few years which is doubtfu.  JG looks like a bottom six player at this point.

Archived