The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner

cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired centre Ryan Spooner from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Sam Gagner. As part of the transaction, the New York Rangers will continue to retain 22.5% of his salary.

Spooner, 27, split the 2018.19 season between the New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers and Bakersfield Condors. He accumulated two points (1-1-2) in 16 games with the Rangers, three points (2-1-3) in 25 games with the Oilers and six points (2-4-6) in seven games with the Condors. Over the span of his career, Spooner has collected 163 NHL points (48-115-163) in 314 games.

The Ottawa, Ontario native was originally drafted by the Boston Bruins in the second round, 45th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-ryan-spooner/c-304889342

So we traded Gagner for.... basically Gagner?

Wonder what the impetus for either side was.  Just seeing if they can salvage something from another team’s problem?  I suspect this was driven by the Oilers and we were happy to give Gagner a chance to play again. 

We sorely need someone to give some secondary offence and play the 2nd unit PP.  I guess no harm in giving this a whirl.

Maybe this bodes poorly for Virtanen’s health?  I was worried about a separated shoulder when I saw the aftermath of the hot.

Could actually be good for both players. Gagner could get a chance to play in the big league again and help on the PP, Sponer had 4 solid seasons until he joined the Oil and fell off a cliff. He has a past with Benning, his cap hit is high, but only for one more year, so no issues here. I would do it.

Archived