The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Predictions for Draft & July 1 UFA

1 hour ago, therodigy said:

I'd love to play along.

Hard to say where they draft at this point. If the Canucks make the playoffs but get bounced in the first round, I'd like for them to make a play for Victor Soderstrom. Two way RHD who's not afraid to play physical. If we pick in the 5-12 range, I'd say go for either Boldy (for left wing depth) or Byram (Can't have enough good defensemen). 

If Pearson proves to have good chemistry with Bo Horvat, and Goldy continues good play and production with Petey, then we don't really need to shop for a top 6 winger. If not, then Ferland ($5 million x 5 years) would be a priority target. If that's the case, I lean on trading out Pearson while qualifying Goldy and giving him a show-me bridge contract under $1.5 million.

A few of my calculations may be a little on the cheap side. Ferland likely goes for $6 million, and it's possible we don't sign our bridge deals for $1.5 million, but rather closer to $2 - 3 million. All that being said, we have a fair bit of cap to circumnavigate those issues should it arise. Anyways. Thoughts?

Ferland at 5 or 6 Mill for 5 years kinda worries me.

I do like the idea of Victor Soderstrom. Bob McKenzie had him at #17 on his last list but I think he's a guy who will end up a bit higher on teams lists come the draft. Especially with the lack of high-end defenseman this year. 

Regarding UFA market, I can see the Canucks going after Myers.  He seems like he could be a good D partner for Hughes.

As for forwards, it's hard to say.  I don't see the Canucks wading in on guys like Panarin but it's certainly possible.

Personally, I wonder if the Canucks will go after guys like Anders Lee, Nyquist and/or Dzingle. 

Lee seems the most interesting to me.  I presume he will be re-signed by NYI but if he makes it to free agency, he seems like a good complimentary top-6 winger.  Lee's production has dropped without Tavares but it hasn't been terrible.  From what I know, Lee's a good skater, has great size and can finish.  He might command quite a bit of $ but who knows.  Size at forward is something the Canucks lack.

2 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Don't want Karlsson.  Don't want Edler.  Like Myers.  No to Chara--we don't need a sr citizen on the team.  Somehow dump Ericksson's contract.

Really why wouldn’t you want Karlsson, he’s the best defenseman in the world and has been for over five years...he’s so good that they had to change the way they do stats just to show the rest of the world what he does makes an impact.  He’s Swedish,  he has tattoos, he likes heavy metal, he has real hockey hair, oh and he’s one of three other defenseman in the history of the game to be top ten in scoring three times (Orr and Coffey are the other two).  Not only that he blocks a ton of shots and the ice tilts heavily the other way when he’s on the ice.  He’s also already in the upper echelon of scoring for defenseman all-time and could be the next one to break 1000 points before he’s done.  We’d be mad to not sign him if we have a chance...I like Myers too but he’s injury prone and be asked to against top competition and minutes on our club which comes with some concerns.  EK all the way..or simply do nothing please.

I think we will have a discussion with Karlsson if he hasn't resigned with San Jose, and the fact that he hasn't yet, tells me that he is interested in playing in a different city.

I don't think we have a serious chance of signing Karlsson, but I think Myers could be a real possibility.

Forget the defense, go fire-wagon mode!  I would love to see Simmonds, Panarin and Ferland, with Jasek up if ready, Gaudette staying all year, and Virtanen/Sutter/Schaller/Spooner/Goldobin/Granlund/Eriksson (sell for scraps if necessary, with exception of Sutter and Virtanen, but get the salaries out the door to pay for Panarin and a bit of Ferland/Simmonds) being shown the door, to have something like this:  

Panarin  Horvat  Boeser 

Ferland  Pettersson  Simmonds = protection for The Franchise

Pearson  Gaudette  Leivo 

Roussel  Beagle  Motte 

Jasek  Gaunce

Or, top two lines could also be:

Ferland  Horvat  Simmonds = wear out the opposition 

Panarin  Pettersson  Boeser = take advantage of the opposition

I don't have faith in Benning to improve the back end with signings like he could up front with the chance to play with Elias, but I could see him making a trade at the draft with Goldobin/Sutter/Virtanen (I love Jake, but the trades and moves being made are blocking him from getting a solid chance at a top 6 role here) + the 1st round pick to get a 1RD, with other changes from within and signing Edler:

Edler  1RD 

Hutton   Stecher 

Hughes  Tanev (lower risk of injury playing 3rd pairing minutes)

Brisebois  Biega  Woo  OJ

23 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Don't set yourself up for disappointment or anything.

Might be disappointed  as other teams know Sutter is hurt all the time along with Tanev..

Grandlund lucky if you get a 6th RD pick...

Sutter --Maybe a 2nd

Tanev == late 2nd and prospect at best..

Pouliot -- walks

Schaller ? buy out contractor try and get a late pick..He did okay in Boston..

16 hours ago, therodigy said:

[...]

LTIR: Baertschi ($3.67 Million). Just a bad feeling he may hang up his skates following this season.

A few of my calculations may be a little on the cheap side. Ferland likely goes for $6 million, and it's possible we don't sign our bridge deals for $1.5 million, but rather closer to $2 - 3 million. All that being said, we have a fair bit of cap to circumnavigate those issues should it arise. Anyways. Thoughts?

Baertschi is back skating.

If doctors declare him fit to play he cannot retire and still receive his salary.  He goes on IR only if doctors say he can't play anymore.  

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

Might be disappointed  as other teams know Sutter is hurt all the time along with Tanev..

Grandlund lucky if you get a 6th RD pick...

Sutter --Maybe a 2nd

Tanev == late 2nd and prospect at best..

Pouliot -- walks

Schaller ? buy out contractor try and get a late pick..He did okay in Boston..

Granlund for a sixth I’d take it. Sutter for even a third I’d take it. Tanev for 2nd and prospect I’d take it missed his trade window by about a year and a half. Pouliot for nothing I’d take it. And why buy out Schaller just hold onto his 1.9 for 1 year. 

#1 Priority - Karlsson

As many have said, the Canucks are best to take a real shot at Karlsson with a big offer.  It would likely be in the $11 mil range long-term.  But it's worth it for a truly elite talent.  In this case we'd likely have to trade Eriksson (with picks added) to create space.  Or a combo of trading Spooner and Pearson.  Or all three.

With that said, the likelihood is still very low, as he's probably more inclined to take that money from a team like San Jose who is in their prime, than the Canucks who are still a couple years away.

He is worth the price.  True #1 elite d-men are so hard to come by.  He could be a cornerstone of a cup winning team.

#2 Priority - Do NOT sign mid-level free agents.

We can't risk anther Eriksson situation.  The $5-7 million dollar guys are always risky.  Sometimes they pan out, but there are too many examples of guys like Lucic just hampering an upcoming team for years with long term big money contracts.  Unless Benning sees a guy with the character and tenacity to truly help us be a cup winner and grind through the playoffs, I wouldn't sign the mid-range.  Avoid the Ferland, Skinner, Gardiner, Eberle, Myers, etc guys.  Only consider if a player comes undervalued (rare in a UFA situation but maybe a guy like Nyquist or Zuccarelo could be had on a more reasonable deal, but still unlikely).  I'd even stay away from Duchene or Panarin in the $7-8 million dollar range, as I see them as very talented but not true franchise altering, Stanley Cup winning foundations for a team. 

Overall, go for Karlsson, even though it's unlikely he will sign here.  Then stay away from all other major or mid-level free agents this off-season.  The only way I'd consider one of these guys is if they came as a package with Karlsson, because he wanted us to compete now.  For example Panarin and Karlsson both wanting the Canucks to enter win-now mode, and to get them both we trade away the contracts of Eriksson, Pearson, Spooner, Sutter, Baertschi to create cap room (even if it costs us picks to do so).

Priority #3 - Stay The Course

It's not sexy but if we don't sign Karlsson (likely the case), I think we should and likely will just stay the course. 

Re-sign Edler for 2-3 years at around $5 mil. 

Try to re-sign Tryamkin. 

Hopefully we can draft Bowen Byram, but that depends what pick we have, and where he falls. 

Bring up Hughes, mentored by Edler and Tanev. 

Give guys like Pearson, Spooner, Goldobin, Leivo, Baertschi etc another shot to prove themselves while using up another year in some of their expensive contracts.  

Further develop guys like Juolevi, Gaudette and Demko. 

Next trade deadline consider trading Sutter, Tanev, Baertschi for assets. 

Next off-season again target a truly elite player to add to our young core, and then start turning the corner to try to take that next step towards being a cup contender.

JB has publicly said he wants to re-tool this defence and rightly so. I think our forward group is close and improving yearly, but this defence isn't close to perfect.

1) Draft: I think playoffs or not we're probably picking anywhere between 12th to 5th overall. Best player available for this draft, which will probably be a forward to be honest. Whoever we draft is going to far from NHL-ready anyway. Byram might be an interesting D-man pick up but I think we're picking a forward this year.

2) Trades: Don't think JB pulls the trigger on anymore big trades, the Gudbranson move was big enough.

3) UFA: I hope JB goes out and gets us a top-4 defenceman because we're obviously lacking, and ideally a top-6 forward although not as necessary as on defence. We've got plenty of cap space and here are some good options:

Jake Gardiner - top of the list, big physical shutdown defenceman who is going to be the odd man out in Toronto for sure. He'll have some playoff experience surely as well after this latest run to bring to the table, is relatively young. I know he's a lefty but we could use anyone at the moment. Don't see Karlsson or Myers wanting to come to Vancouver anyway.

Top-6 Forward: I don't see us winning the high stakes of say Panarin, Skinner or Duchene, but there are some options after the big stars. Eberle, Marcus Johansson, Brock Nelson...there's a long list of players in that 0.5-1 PPG region who could really complement our top-6 and JB has the fortune of being able to give out big money to them. If I were JB I'd go hard for say Nelson or Johansson.

4) Development: Realistically, I can see next season being a big one for our youth so we don't want to overcrowd them. Gaudette has been brilliant at times, and one of Juolevi or Hughes will probably stick with the NHL club but I doubt both of them.

Lineup for 2019-2020 season:

Boeser - Pettersson - Nelson

Baertschi - Horvat - Roussel

Gaudette - Sutter - Pearson

Goldobin - Granlund - Leivo

Virtanen, Eriksson, Beagle, Motte, Schaller

If Green wants more of a gritty lineup he just swaps in/out Goldobin/Granlund. Acquiring a top forward like Nelson/Johansson would really give this team a lot of depth, especially with Baertschi coming back hopefully.

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi/Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Gardiner

Biega, Sautner, Schenn, Brisebois

Wouldn't mind acquiring a 6/7th defenceman as well because as we've seen we struggle with injuries and Tanev and Edler are only getting more brittle. This is a big change from this season though and Gardiner can play just about anywhere in the lineup with anyone, but hopefully as a bit more of a physical stay at home defenceman it can allow Hutton to play a bit more offensively. Tanev would be the perfect veteran for one of the rookies to step in, and Edler and Stecher are our 2 best D-men still.

Markstrom and Demko just about share starts with hopefully a 50-30 split.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jake Gardiner - top of the list, big physical shutdown defenceman who is going to be the odd man out in Toronto for sure. He'll have some playoff experience surely as well after this latest run to bring to the table, is relatively young. I know he's a lefty but we could use anyone at the moment. Don't see Karlsson or Myers wanting to come to Vancouver anyway.

Sorry dude but you completely lost me when you say Jake Gardiner is a BIG PHYSICAL SHUT DOWN D MAN.

You do know he is none of those things right?????????????

BIG - Gardiner is 6'2" 200...that is not big. That is average in the NHL.

PHYSICAL - Gardiner is not physical.  

SHUTDOWN D MAN - Gardiner is the exact opposite of this. He is an offensive D man that makes lots of mistakes in his own end.

Wowza.

I do expect the canucks to trade sutter at the draft, so confident im willing to bet money on it :lol:

the UFA center market is thin. It goes Duchene, Hayes, Nelson and than mediocrity 

they host the draft and the draft host always wants to make a move in front of their fans 

we have gaudette who is pushing for a full time job and benning has stated that if a young player is ready they will make room and he has backed up his words. 

the canucks will want the 4.375 in savings to go big game hunting in free agency 

it just makes too much sense!

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

I would be happy to see them sign Karlsson and draft Alex Newhook (1st line LW/C potential) 

If we can somehow loose Eriksson, Sutter,  Baertchi, Schaller, Pouliot 

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Spooner Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Granlund MacEwen 

Edler Karlsson

Hutton Stetcher 

Hughes Tanev 

Juolevi Biega 

Demko

Markstrom 

Draft 10th

Alex Newhook 

24 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

If we can somehow loose Eriksson, Sutter,  Baertchi, Schaller, Pouliot 

doubt Eriksson goes anywhere

Sutter is still a tradeable asset

Baertschi is still the best left winger on the team

Schaller and Pouliot are  7th round pick type trades if (good) lucky.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I think we will have a discussion with Karlsson if he hasn't resigned with San Jose, and the fact that he hasn't yet, tells me that he is interested in playing in a different city.

I don't think we have a serious chance of signing Karlsson, but I think Myers could be a real possibility.

No Its because Karlsson is so injury prone he can barely skate no one will sign him.

Archived