The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Utica could have a very good team this year.

Goldobin - Gaudette - Lind

Boucher - Graovac - Jasek

Perron - Hamilton - MacEwen

Gadjovich - Arseneau - Bailey

Juolevi - Biega

Brisebois - Rafferty

Sautner - Chatfield

Teves - Eliot

Bachman/McIntyre

DiPietro/Kielly

;)

Switch Goldy with Loui, and now you’re talkin’. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2019 at 10:19 PM, JamesBlondage said:

This guy is a super under the radar prospect for the Canucks. He's going to be better than a lot of people think. Just might be the best defenseman in Utica already...

I don't watch Utica (well rarely). So why is Rafferty Utica's best D man? 

Edited by Kanukfanatic

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Teves is probably Utica's best defensive D-man - he is really solid, Rafferty is their best offensive D-man (and that includes the injured Juolevi).  Rafferty might also be their best all round D.  One of the reasons he may be in Utica is because he is a risk taker, sometimes gets caught, but then makes great athletic recoveries.  NHL coaches tend not to like heart attacks, so they frown on guys that need to be making a lot of highlight reel recoveries. Still, he does make those recoveries...  He is also a very confident guy with a high hockey IQ - especially on the attack.  In his two NHL games last year, his confidence and adjustment to the speed of the game (especially to the high level processing of NHL players) was dramatic.  In his second game, when paired with Hughes in the third period, and they were out with the Pettersson line, it seemed like they never gave up the puck in the O-zone - he fit right in.

Thanks for this Ray. Much appreciated.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Teves is probably Utica's best defensive D-man - he is really solid, Rafferty is their best offensive D-man (and that includes the injured Juolevi).  Rafferty might also be their best all round D.  One of the reasons he may be in Utica is because he is a risk taker, sometimes gets caught, but then makes great athletic recoveries.  NHL coaches tend not to like heart attacks, so they frown on guys that need to be making a lot of highlight reel recoveries. Still, he does make those recoveries...  He is also a very confident guy with a high hockey IQ - especially on the attack.  In his two NHL games last year, his confidence and adjustment to the speed of the game (especially to the high level processing of NHL players) was dramatic.  In his second game, when paired with Hughes in the third period, and they were out with the Pettersson line, it seemed like they never gave up the puck in the O-zone - he fit right in.

Well I'm sold. Wrap it up with a bow..& put two more in, thanks! :^)

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Both Teves and Raffarty are coming 25.  Yes, they are good, and likely nice depth for us, but they are both physically men.  They will improve their understanding of the game, but they're pretty much finished products physically.  

OJ is 21, and still becoming a man.  In 4 years, then we can look back and see how good OJ is to those two guys are now.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Both Teves and Raffarty are coming 25.  Yes, they are good, and likely nice depth for us, but they are both physically men.  They will improve their understanding of the game, but they're pretty much finished products physically.  

OJ is 21, and still becoming a man.  In 4 years, then we can look back and see how good OJ is to those two guys are now.  

That’s fair regarding Juolevi, but my question was who is, not who might be. The thing I like about Rafferty and Teves is their ability to process the game. Rafferty especially has increased that confidence and processing ability with each game played.  Juolevi’s progress is much less even, and beset with physical problems that do not seem to go away. That is part of the package, and as he had not really showed that before being drafted, the scouting staff can’t be blamed for not seeing a problem until it later became one. A good comparison for the Utica D was when Fantenburg was sent down for conditioning - he looked strong, but no more so than Rafferty or Teves, in my opinion, he was stronger than Juolevi defensively but not offensively, for sure, but not much better than Sautner nor Brisebois. My only issue with Juolevi is - with his health issues, can he play enough to Improve? - sadly, so far it does not look promising. If Juolevi’s health was good, then okay, there has been improvement, his vision and ability to move the puck was already strong when he got here and his defensive game was improving (he was getting lots of special team time and being exposed to the other team’s best lines) but to improve still more he has to play and that has been the problem and he is out yet again.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't watch Utica (well rarely). So why is Rafferty Utica's best D man? 

He's playing all situations against the best players on the other team and excelling. 11 points and a plus 8 he's even stepped his game up a notch since Juolevi got injured. 

Edited by JamesBlondage
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That’s fair regarding Juolevi, but my question was who is, not who might be. The thing I like about Rafferty and Teves is their ability to process the game. Rafferty especially has increased that confidence and processing ability with each game played.  Juolevi’s progress is much less even, and beset with physical problems that do not seem to go away. That is part of the package, and as he had not really showed that before being drafted, the scouting staff can’t be blamed for not seeing a problem until it later became one. A good comparison for the Utica D was when Fantenburg was sent down for conditioning - he looked strong, but no more so than Rafferty or Teves, in my opinion, he was stronger than Juolevi defensively but not offensively, for sure, but not much better than Sautner nor Brisebois. My only issue with Juolevi is - with his health issues, can he play enough to Improve? - sadly, so far it does not look promising. If Juolevi’s health was good, then okay, there has been improvement, his vision and ability to move the puck was already strong when he got here and his defensive game was improving (he was getting lots of special team time and being exposed to the other team’s best lines) but to improve still more he has to play and that has been the problem and he is out yet again.

IMO we need to be cautious with our expectations for improvement with guys like Rafferty and Teves, who are fully physically developed.  OJ is still physically maturing.  Four years means a lot between 21 and 25.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMO we need to be cautious with our expectations for improvement with guys like Rafferty and Teves, who are fully physically developed.  OJ is still physically maturing.  Four years means a lot between 21 and 25.  

I agree with that, especially when reflecting on Gadjovich tonite - goal and an assist. That brings him to 2 goals and an assist in 4 games played this year. Small sample, but it follows the theme of young guys playing against men and struggling with injuries to gain their footing. Also Lind’s problem for most of last year. Staying healthy is in large part a skill. You have to learn how to train, how to condition your body, how to play and practice in such a way that allows you to play but minimize your vulnerability to injury. I’ve played a lot of sports in my life and found but that I pretty much always got hurt when I temporarily lost focus on my surroundings and the present threats.  As I said, staying healthy is a skill - and not losing focus on the ways you can get the job done while  minimizing risk of injury. And you need a little luck, and to make a little luck through preparation.

It’s far too early to write off Gadjovich, Palmu, and Lind - as many have done.  As for Juolevi, I sure hope this guy can get past these injuries that are dogging him. We had another promising player that suffered from this - McEneny - sure hope Juolevi can find a way through this.

28 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I agree with that, especially when reflecting on Gadjovich tonite - goal and an assist. That brings him to 2 goals and an assist in 4 games played this year. Small sample, but it follows the theme of young guys playing against men and struggling with injuries to gain their footing. Also Lind’s problem for most of last year. Staying healthy is in large part a skill. You have to learn how to train, how to condition your body, how to play and practice in such a way that allows you to play but minimize your vulnerability to injury. I’ve played a lot of sports in my life and found but that I pretty much always got hurt when I temporarily lost focus on my surroundings and the present threats.  As I said, staying healthy is a skill - and not losing focus on the ways you can get the job done while  minimizing risk of injury. And you need a little luck, and to make a little luck through preparation.

It’s far too early to write off Gadjovich, Palmu, and Lind - as many have done.  As for Juolevi, I sure hope this guy can get past these injuries that are dogging him. We had another promising player that suffered from this - McEneny - sure hope Juolevi can find a way through this.

As an addendum to your post; McEneny just signed a PTO with Laval yesterday according to the Hockey News transactions page. I sure hope that Juolevi does not have the same horrible luck that McEneny did.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 5:31 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I have been able to watch all the Utica games except for one of the games this last week-end and thought OJ looked much better than last year, so far.  He made a lot of great zone exits and was able to make tape to tape passes so the players receiving the passes didn't have to slow down in order to receive the pass at full speed (Not an easy task).  Offensively I thought he looked OK but his defensive game was really improving leading up to his injury.  In his last few games he was becoming a shot-blocking machine.  Before being hurt I thought he may be brought up if a middle 2nd pairing left D was needed.  But then he was hurt.  I think he may have been doing a little better this season so far  than you are giving him credit for.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Two assists midway through the second for Rafferty today - helpers on a shorty and on a PP. Leads all AHL rookie D’s with 2g 14a 16 pt in 22 games.

I like both Raffert and Teves, but both are almost 25.  They are physically and emotionally mature men.  I don’t see a lot of room for big improvement in either.  However, I see them as both excellent depth guys. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like both Raffert and Teves, but both are almost 25.  They are physically and emotionally mature men.  I don’t see a lot of room for big improvement in either.  However, I see them as both excellent depth guys. 

It is not the norm but there have been a number of good defensemen that ether did not play in the NHL or were not regulars until age 25 or later. Brian Rafalski did not play an NHL game until he was 26 and then went on to score over 500 points. Mark Giordano played 55 games for the Flames before becoming an every day player at age 25 and winning a Norris trophy at age 35. I think we need to give Teves and Rafferty a little more experience playing professional hockey before we write them off as "depth guys"....have faith.

• Cheers 3