The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know scouts said they are worried about Podkolzin's lack of offensive production, but his highlights shows a very pro like style that will make him successful regardless if he puts up points.  The numbers will come, his process and attention to the game will give him better opportunities to pad the stats.

Wrong forum....?

• 2 months later...

Went to the scrimmage again today and again Rafferty was very solid. He didn't stand out as much this time because the intensity today was greater than the intensity yesterday and the NHL locks began to run the show a little bit, but he still left a good impression. Pretty much everything I said in my last post still applies, but maybe to a lesser degree. 

One of the best ways I think I can describe him is he's someone who will rarely get caught defensively, but not look out of place offensively. Just an overall smart, effective player. I can see him being someone who has a solid year in Utica working up the depth chart. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I thought he looked very encouraging last night.

Was moving his feet, always looking to move the puck up ice. Good size, shoulders up ready for impact but loose enough to spin off guys and make plays.

He could probably be 7th D for Vancouver today, but I think he'll have some fun in Utica to start.

5 minutes ago, nergish said:

I thought he looked very encouraging last night.

Was moving his feet, always looking to move the puck up ice. Good size, shoulders up ready for impact but loose enough to spin off guys and make plays.

He could probably be 7th D for Vancouver today, but I think he'll have some fun in Utica to start.

He's already 24.  I wonder about these college guys who come to the NHL at 24 and 25 actually improving enough to become decent and useful players.  They do come free to us though, so no reason not to try.  However, my expectations for these guys is low.  And usually I'm excited about all our prospects.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He's already 24.  I wonder about these college guys who come to the NHL at 24 and 25 actually improving enough to become decent and useful players.  They do come free to us though, so no reason not to try.  However, my expectations for these guys is low.  And usually I'm excited about all our prospects.  

I actually thought Teves had a better overall game. Rafferty looked very good on a number of plays in the ozone. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  Most of these guys end up in the AHL or Europe.  When they do pan out though, it is a huge win.  I liked Rafferty's game last night, but he is at best #11 on the depth chart, maybe lower. I'd have him behind, in no order

Hughes

Tanev

Edler

Meyers

Benn

Stecher

Biega

Fantenberg

OJ

Breisbois

That is a tough hill to climb to crack the roster at any point this year.

If Rafferty earns the 7 spot out of camp I can see us replacing Tanev with him if he performs well enough. It would cut down on salary, make us younger, and give us a chance to sell on Tanev. If his health is even remotely a question. Moving him wouldn't be a bad idea.

I prefer Hughes and Tanev over Hughes and Myers tho

1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

He is not making the team out of camp, he will go to Utica and get big minutes there.

Likely one of the first injury call ups

According to JB he's the best show at this years camp. What I saw of him last season he has the all important "cool" that a D needs and a high IQ, in short IMO this kid has "it"

On 9/17/2019 at 1:46 PM, Boudrias said:

I actually thought Teves had a better overall game. Rafferty looked very good on a number of plays in the ozone. 

tbh, Rafferty was a train wreck...he reminded me of Pouliot, but with a super long stick...

...if he plays like that in Utica, he will not be playing for long.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

This guy looks like a potential 'diamond in the rough' to me.

Not that I think he'll be any kind of superstar, or even a top 4D, but looks like a guy who can play a regular shift.

He's had his poor moments this pre-season, but also good moments, & those combined with a strong showing at the end of last year.... I think he's on track to the NHL atleast. 

He'll play games this season & I'm excited to see where his development goes. If he's on our roster as a #5-6 in a year or two, that's a big success.