The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

Lets temper our expectations with Rafferty. Wasnt too long when a young Kevin Connauton ripped it up in the Dub and everyone in CDC was penciling him as PP1 material, Norris candidate etc. Lets see him stay in the NHL first

Fair enough, but junior and the AHL are two different ball games. Being a near PPG Dman in a pro league gives me a lot more faith than being a near PPG player in junior. Besides, Kevin Connauton went on to have a pretty solid career. Nothing amazing, but better than most 3rd picks end up being. If we end up with a Connauton-esque player for without having to trade or use a draft pick on him, that’s a win.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Lets temper our expectations with Rafferty. Wasnt too long when a young Kevin Connauton ripped it up in the Dub and everyone in CDC was penciling him as PP1 material, Norris candidate etc. Lets see him stay in the NHL first

Fair enough!  But it's also fair to point out that Rafferty might indeed have more upside.  The best Connauton ever produced in the AHL was 31 points in 70+ games.  Rafferty already has 20 in 25 in his first pro season.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Fair enough, but junior and the AHL are two different ball games. Being a near PPG Dman in a pro league gives me a lot more faith than being a near PPG player in junior. Besides, Kevin Connauton went on to have a pretty solid career. Nothing amazing, but better than most 3rd picks end up being. If we end up with a Connauton-esque player for without having to trade or use a draft pick on him, that’s a win.

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

Fair enough!  But it's also fair to point out that Rafferty might indeed have more upside.  The best Connauton ever produced in the AHL was 31 points in 70+ games.  Rafferty already has 20 in 25 in his first pro season.

Adam Clendening had 59 points in 74 games (which the current pace Rafferty is on now) in the AHL as a 20 year old. Benning had been slammed for years for acquiring him.

Rafferty is 4 years older. Didn't require an asset to acquire, so I guess the expectations are different?

Not knocking Rafferty at all and hope the best for him, but I agree with tempering the expectations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

I like Rafferty.  He is older as he graduated University.  I think he is 24 or 25 years old already.  I suspect he will improve but he may be close to what he will be. Maybe a 3rd pairing guy I would guess.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Adam Clendening had 59 points in 74 games (which the current pace Rafferty is on now) in the AHL as a 20 year old. Benning had been slammed for years for acquiring him.

Rafferty is 4 years older. Didn't require an asset to acquire, so I guess the expectations are different?

Not knocking Rafferty at all and hope the best for him, but I agree with tempering the expectations.

I mean, there most certainly are countless examples of players that were able to produce in the AHL and amounted to nothing in the NHL. We've had a boatload come and go ourselves. Clendening, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Subban, Gragnani, Goldobin, etc etc etc.... I think the fact that this kid pretty much came out of nowhere and had an excellent training camp as well, coupled with the overall unpredictability of defensemen as opposed to forwards is what's giving people excitement.  

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mean, there most certainly are countless examples of players that were able to produce in the AHL and amounted to nothing in the NHL. We've had a boatload come and go ourselves. Clendening, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Subban, Gragnani, Goldobin, etc etc etc.... I think the fact that this kid pretty much came out of nowhere and had an excellent training camp as well, coupled with the overall unpredictability of defensemen as opposed to forwards is what's giving people excitement.  

And be excited you should be, but the point is that not all players make it. People seem to already be coming out with pitchforks about why we aren't calling him up and such. Things like this get progressively worse because they get this notion that this player will amount to a top 4 dman or something and we are letting it squander if we don't give him that opportunity. The reality is he's just starting his 1st pro season and he could simply be on a hot streak as an older player. In years past he would have cracked out team, but our depth is growing to allow him to steep a little longer to see what we've got without rushing him. IMO that's what is more exciting than the individual himself.

As far as I’m aware, Rafferty was never pegged as an offensive d-man. He’s viewed more as a all-round 2-way sort of guy. Unfortunately, due to AHLtv’s stupid prices and the lack of meaningful statistics, we can only really go off things like his points per game for comparison to other players. Eye test and fancy stats aren’t really available

I wonder how he is doing as a two-way guy. I did notice in the highlight package from the game last night that he blew the zone to try and create an odd man rush which resulted in a 2 on 0 the other way for one of the Tigers goals

18 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I like Rafferty.  He is older as he graduated University.  I think he is 24 or 25 years old already.  I suspect he will improve but he may be close to what he will be. Maybe a 3rd pairing guy I would guess.

If Rafferty even gets a career like an Alex Biega and on the top end, perhaps a Yannick Weber, thats already a win

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If Rafferty even gets a career like an Alex Biega and on the top end, perhaps a Yannick Weber, thats already a win

I watched with interest both Teves and Rafferty at the end of the season both IMO after their initial shock of "wow I'm here" they settled down. But what separated Rafferty was he was paired with Hughes for a couple shifts and it was instant chemistry. He read the game at a good level. He  has good size ( good reach) 6'2"/195 and not bad stats top D in Utica and 4th O/A on the roster I tend to think a little more polishing and use to the heavier game and he'll do fine. If it does happen who ever scouted him should get a bonus

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I watched with interest both Teves and Rafferty at the end of the season both IMO after their initial shock of "wow I'm here" they settled down. But what separated Rafferty was he was paired with Hughes for a couple shifts and it was instant chemistry. He read the game at a good level. He  has good size ( good reach) 6'2"/195 and not bad stats top D in Utica and 4th O/A on the roster I tend to think a little more polishing and use to the heavier game and he'll do fine. If it does happen who ever scouted him should get a bonus

As the season wears on, and we get more injuries on D, he'll likely get an extended audition up here. That's often how new D get into our main mix. That was how Bieksa established himself as a regular, through injury relief, and same could be said for Tanev and Stecher.

Its awesome to finally have some guys, Chatfield, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois, and even OJ I don't think is actually that far away, just needs a couple of months of consistent playing time.

45 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

As the season wears on, and we get more injuries on D, he'll likely get an extended audition up here. That's often how new D get into our main mix. That was how Bieksa established himself as a regular, through injury relief, and same could be said for Tanev and Stecher.

Its awesome to finally have some guys, Chatfield, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois, and even OJ I don't think is actually that far away, just needs a couple of months of consistent playing time.

LOL Bieska was signed by Burke when he one punched Fedor Federov in a parking lot in Winnipeg  :lol:

33 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

LOL Bieska was signed by Burke when he one punched Fedor Federov in a parking lot in Winnipeg  :lol:

Have never heard about him punching Federov, but Bieksa was a 5th round pick by the Canucks in 2001, signed his first deal, at the end of the 03/04 season when he left College hockey and played 4 games for the Moose that season and all 80 games in the lockout year, 04/05.

In 05/06, he was called up after 23 games, due to Injuries on the Canucks Blue Line and played the rest of the season with the Canucks and generally, never went back.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have never heard about him punching Federov, but Bieksa was a 5th round pick by the Canucks in 2001, signed his first deal, at the end of the 03/04 season when he left College hockey and played 4 games for the Moose that season and all 80 games in the lockout year, 04/05.

In 05/06, he was called up after 23 games, due to Injuries on the Canucks Blue Line and played the rest of the season with the Canucks and generally, never went back.

Federov and Bieska were at the Winnipeg camp together. When the report of the one sided fight came to BB attention he apparently told staff to sign him immediately …. Bieska went on the fame and fortune Fedrov  ….. not so much :lol:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Federov and Bieska were at the Winnipeg camp together. When the report of the one sided fight came to BB attention he apparently told staff to sign him immediately …. Bieska went on the fame and fortune Fedrov  ….. not so much :lol:

Just Googled the story, hadn't heard it before.

Thanks, so funny and totally like Burke to sign someone for that.

• Cheers 1

Here's another stat for Rafferty    …. Brogan Rafferty is 2nd in points for all defenceman and 1st among all rookie defenceman in the AHL

https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/all-teams/65?playertype=skater&position=defencemen&rookie=yes&sort=points&statstype=standard&page=1&league=4

Now if we saw stats like that for OJ I'd be excited

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Here's another stat for Rafferty    …. Brogan Rafferty is 2nd in points for all defenceman and 1st among all rookie defenceman in the AHL

https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/all-teams/65?playertype=skater&position=defencemen&rookie=yes&sort=points&statstype=standard&page=1&league=4

Now if we saw stats like that for OJ I'd be excited

Rafferty is 4 years older, and hasn't had injury issues like OJ.  How good will OJ be when he's 25, and a fully matured adult?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rafferty is 4 years older, and hasn't had injury issues like OJ.  How good will OJ be when he's 25, and a fully matured adult?  

I expected that, facts counter argued with pure speculation. Why not be happy about Rafferty's progress and good scouting by some one in the organization. I can tell you this, when OJ reaches these levels I'll be happy :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I expected that, facts counter argued with pure speculation. Why not be happy about Rafferty's progress and good scouting by some one in the organization. I can tell you this, when OJ reaches these levels I'll be happy :rolleyes:

I totally agree.  Rafferty looks like a keeper.  I believe OJ will prove to be a top four NHL D man, who is a minute muncher - much like Edler.