The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

3 minutes ago, mll said:

A lot can change in 2 years.  Who knows who they add through trade or free agency.  There is always the situation where they might want to protect 4 Ds - so only 4 Fs spots left. 

Baertschi, Pearson and Sutter are UFAs and don't need to be protected.  Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, MacEwen could though.  

Vegas got top assets to not select certain players.  

I think this ED is going to be much different with everyone having gone through it once........I don't think you'll see teams gift wrap success and picks for Seattle the way they did for Vegas.

• Upvote 2

- Nucks have to eat 24 million dollars over the next four years,

- Nucks have to protect him in the ED

this is going to cost Edmonton a lot.

compensation for VAN  EDM 1st round pick 2019 + EDM 1st round pick 2020

otherwise we have a no - deal.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

A big solid no on another washed out ex bruin. We have our quota. 

Hes been as ineffective at just about every aspect of the game a eriksdone and we have spooner and shaller to and they have been zeros. 

Add another bigger slower older Lucy with a shyte contract that couldn’t achieve anything playing with mcdavid or anyone else on the Edmonton line up. It would be a step backwards and would rank high on the long list of stupid moves Jim’s made. 

• Upvote 2

Acquiring Lucic is a terrible idea, and it's not worth whatever little 'goodies' Edmonton throws in. Unless they are willing to give up their 1st round pick AND retain 50% of salary, it's a waste of time.

-Slow skater in a much faster NHL. He can't even hit in the o-zone because by the time he gets to the boards, the other guy is already gone.

-North of 30

-Unpleasant history with fans going back to 2011, and yes, I realize that some fans were out of line with Lucic and his family, but if anything that strengthens my position that it's not a good idea.

-He had 6 goals last season FFS. Does $1 million per goal sound like a good price to you? I bet at least 1 or 2 of those were empty-netters.

-Already has a championship, no hunger to earn another one. He looked like a zombie in molasses in Edmonton. He knows this contract may well be his last in the NHL, If he can't produce playing with Connor freakin' McDavid on his line, what hope does he have in Vancouver?

Lucic is a liability, not an asset. His only value is as cap dump for a team below the cap floor. (If any still exist)

This entire idea feels wrong, like it felt when they brought Moose on board over 20 years ago. It made my sick to see Messier in a Canucks jersey, and Lucic will feel much the same, 'hometown' boy or not. I would feel just as inclined to boo him.

• Upvote 2

Right now is about filling the roster with as much high end skill as we can to further develop the games of Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat, and Hughes. Them developing into the best players they can be is all that matters.

Now's not the time to be adding older slower players who have anchor contracts. 

The only way we take on Lucic is if they really sweeten the pot. I'm talking about the 8th overall and a prospect. Other wise we're better off just keeping Eriksson. At least he can still contribute somewhat.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Right now is about filling the roster with as much high end skill as we can to further develop the games of Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat, and Hughes. Them developing into the best players they can be is all that matters.

Now's not the time to be adding older slower players who have anchor contracts. 

The only way we take on Lucic is if they really sweeten the pot. I'm talking about the 8th overall and a prospect. Other wise we're better off just keeping Eriksson. At least he can still contribute somewhat.

Dreger says that Benning sees value in adding Lucic.  He explains that the Canucks have several smallish players in Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Lucic would bring some bite.  He talks of a sweetener because of the extra year.  Lucic for Eriksson might happen.  Lucic would waive - would Eriksson.  He played for Tippett in Dallas.  

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Dreger says that Benning sees value in adding Lucic.  He explains that the Canucks have several smallish players in Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Lucic would bring some bite.  He talks of a sweetener because of the extra year.  Lucic for Eriksson might happen.  Lucic would waive - would Eriksson.  He played for Tippett in Dallas.  

Based on what I saw of him in Edmonton he doesn't have any fire left. Thinking that we're getting the vintage enforcer Lucic is wrong. He barely skates anymore let alone stands up for his teammates.

There are much cheaper options to add some bite to the roster. And if sending them Eriksson is gonna reduce our return for taking on Lucic, no thanks. At least Loui is a good penalty killer still.

That's a bad deal for us and would wreak like Benning trying to relive glory days in Boston. No way he takes on Lucic if he wasn't a former player of his.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Acquiring Lucic is a terrible idea, and it's not worth whatever little 'goodies' Edmonton throws in. Unless they are willing to give up their 1st round pick AND retain 50% of salary, it's a waste of time.

-Slow skater in a much faster NHL. He can't even hit in the o-zone because by the time he gets to the boards, the other guy is already gone.

-North of 30

-Unpleasant history with fans going back to 2011, and yes, I realize that some fans were out of line with Lucic and his family, but if anything that strengthens my position that it's not a good idea.

-He had 6 goals last season FFS. Does $1 million per goal sound like a good price to you? I bet at least 1 or 2 of those were empty-netters.

-Already has a championship, no hunger to earn another one. He looked like a zombie in molasses in Edmonton. He knows this contract may well be his last in the NHL, If he can't produce playing with Connor freakin' McDavid on his line, what hope does he have in Vancouver?

Lucic is a liability, not an asset. His only value is as cap dump for a team below the cap floor. (If any still exist)

This entire idea feels wrong, like it felt when they brought Moose on board over 20 years ago. It made my sick to see Messier in a Canucks jersey, and Lucic will feel much the same, 'hometown' boy or not. I would feel just as inclined to boo him.

Would definitely be Messier 2.0.  Would become a Seattle fan if we traded for that worthless piece of garbage.  Already saw Messier disgrace the uniform with his classless BS, on and off the ice, and have no intention of repeating the same problem.

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

I wonder if adding a tough player like Lucic helps all our middle weight guys play a little tougher. Like how adding a number one dman slots the rest of the D more appropriately. 

Tough guys are useless if they can't skate. Why would Green play him if he's too slow to forecheck?

The new age of tough guys are ones that can play the game at high speed. Think Ryan Reeves.

Hell look at St.Louis and their forwards. Alot of them aren't big guys but they're willing to throw big hits and stand up for each other. That's the team toughness that wins in the playoffs. Not one tough guy to settle the score for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mll said:

This is the true attribute which is much needed on this team and the biggest difference between the 2 players. The other thing I noticed is that Lucic's numbers made an obvious drop after going to Edmonton. I have seen other players have the same occurrence after being exposed to that atmosphere. They have a very bad track record.

Both of these players are over paid and I think if they are making less they both still have some use in the NHL.

The biggest difference is the extra year which Edmonton will have to anti up for.

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Would definitely be Messier 2.0.  Would become a Seattle fan if we traded for that worthless piece of garbage.  Already saw Messier disgrace the uniform with his classless BS, on and off the ice, and have no intention of repeating the same problem.

Yeah, this idea has disaster written all over it.  

I’m sure Loui isn’t thrilled with the vitriol he draws from the fan base but I can see Lucic absolutely imploding because of it.  There’s no way he lives up to his contract and our fan base always fixates on the $. What a side show that would be. 

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

- Nucks have to eat 24 million dollars over the next four years,

- Nucks have to protect him in the ED

this is going to cost Edmonton a lot.

compensation for VAN  EDM 1st round pick 2019 + EDM 1st round pick 2020

otherwise we have a no - deal.

... or you could read the thread where the contract language has been posted a few times about the NMC protection not travelling with him if he waives.

57 minutes ago, mll said:

I agree.  Sick and tired of watching Petey getting rag dolled.  Don't care if Lucic can't skate anymore.  As long as his fists still work I'm okay with that.  Of course Edmonton will sweeten the pot.  JB doesn't do this deal straight up for Eriksson.  They either cough up Pool Party or throw in the 8th overall and we give them something of value back.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1