The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Poolparty wants out of Edmonton

46 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Main sticking point with Edler is the expansion draft. He wants NMC protection from expansion draft. 

Let's see where it goes. 

Can they not structure the contract back end loaded. Say 3 + 3 + 8 for instance. It would virtually guarantee Seattle wouldn't take him. Or structure the bonuses as such?

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Can they not structure the contract back end loaded. Say 3 + 3 + 8 for instance. It would virtually guarantee Seattle wouldn't take him. Or structure the bonuses as such?

Yes rek. I hear you.  So contract has fluctuation limits of 50%.

So could be 8 mill highest 4 mill lowest. 

I'm thinking maybe sign him 2 yrs give him high salary. And tell him after expansion draft well sign him 2 more years. He'll be ufa that year again

Not sure he goes for that but he's been here entire career and aqa can sit talk to him

Interesting situation 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm just saying its not the end of the world if he does walk, I do think we can find a way to make the left side work. In all likelihood he's not going to put in a full season so we have to anyway. 

Yes we will have to make do with the situation, but having Edler, even with a partial season, will be much more of a successful season than not when compared to what scraps are available as UFA and on day 2 to boot. I guess the rumours of the Canucks looking into Gardiner is probably a ploy to suggest we have other "options" beyond Edler if he chooses to not sign here.

With that said, I was commenting on the fact that we shouldn't deal Hutton until we sort out whether or not Edler returns or not. At least with Hutton, we have a guy that Green trusts to average over 22 minutes a night, so it'll be easier to take on some depth filler until Juolevi or other younger depth can demonstrate that they can step up.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Oh great idea!!!  With the fluctuation limits it would have to be slightly more balanced but there is no way Seattle takes him at 8mil salary with a 5 or 6 cap hit.  Too risky for them financially in their first year.  Do it!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

You can’t seriously think Edm wants to make this trade.... we would have to trade a piece that actually has value to acquire Jesse. Nvm Edm using him as a sweetener to take on Lucic. 

Puljujarvi’s value has to be around a second round pick and if Edmonton doesn’t think so you just offer sheet for 4 or under and pay a second.  Fairly certain Puljujarvi would sign an offer sheet in a heartbeat especially with the Joulevi connection and a fresh start.  I know he’s proven nothing in the NHL yet but you have to play some lottery tickets to build a team.  He has everything you want in a winger.  I would do 3x3 and see if it works out.  I guessing it will.

50 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Puljujarvi’s value has to be around a second round pick and if Edmonton doesn’t think so you just offer sheet for 4 or under and pay a second.  Fairly certain Puljujarvi would sign an offer sheet in a heartbeat especially with the Joulevi connection and a fresh start.  I know he’s proven nothing in the NHL yet but you have to play some lottery tickets to build a team.  He has everything you want in a winger.  I would do 3x3 and see if it works out.  I guessing it will.

How about no? He doesn't deserve to make anymore than Virtanen does right now.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yes we will have to make do with the situation, but having Edler, even with a partial season, will be much more of a successful season than not when compared to what scraps are available as UFA and on day 2 to boot. I guess the rumours of the Canucks looking into Gardiner is probably a ploy to suggest we have other "options" beyond Edler if he chooses to not sign here.

With that said, I was commenting on the fact that we shouldn't deal Hutton until we sort out whether or not Edler returns or not. At least with Hutton, we have a guy that Green trusts to average over 22 minutes a night, so it'll be easier to take on some depth filler until Juolevi or other younger depth can demonstrate that they can step up.

thats true, but what kind of minutes? Hutty to me is a pretty big disappointment from what he looked like he might be in his 1st season. We haven't seen that guy for 2 years so I don't see a big difference between him and some of the secondary FA or lower down trade market guys. 

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

That average is misleading.  It's more that there were no other options.  Edler missed 26 games and the rest of the left was Hutton, Pouliot, Sautner, Brisebois and MDZ or Biega playing his off-side.  

10 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

How about no? He doesn't deserve to make anymore than Virtanen does right now.

Agreed he hasn’t earned it but it could be a steal if he turns it around.  I mentioned 3m and not 4m if it matters.  Eriksson makes more than Horvat too so it doesn’t always work out perfectly.

2 hours ago, mll said:

That average is misleading.  It's more that there were no other options.  Edler missed 26 games and the rest of the left was Hutton, Pouliot, Sautner, Brisebois and MDZ or Biega playing his off-side.  

The point is Green trusted him when he got desperate over any other option that could've taken the opportunity to step up. My response was towards the idea of trading Hutton regardless of whether Edler signs or not may not be the best course of action. I don't believe Hutton to replace Edler, but signing a lesser UFA considering the market may only work with Hutton still in the lineup.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, but what kind of minutes? Hutty to me is a pretty big disappointment from what he looked like he might be in his 1st season. We haven't seen that guy for 2 years so I don't see a big difference between him and some of the secondary FA or lower down trade market guys. 

I'm not saying Hutton is a long term solution, but without Edler and Hutton and replacing them with either our young players or day 2 UFA is a major downgrade on both players at least for the season in which we may as well write off unless we plan on trying to outscore the opponent in which case we are not built for either.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The point is Green trusted him when he got desperate over any other option that could've taken the opportunity to step up. My response was towards the idea of trading Hutton regardless of whether Edler signs or not may not be the best course of action. I don't believe Hutton to replace Edler, but signing a lesser UFA considering the market may only work with Hutton still in the lineup.

I'm not saying Hutton is a long term solution, but without Edler and Hutton and replacing them with either our young players or day 2 UFA is a major downgrade on both players at least for the season in which we may as well write off unless we plan on trying to outscore the opponent in which case we are not built for either.

what about someone like Ben Chiarot from WPG? bigger body and same point totals as Hutty and will be a lot cheaper. Kronwall might have a year left in him too. Say we replace Hutty and Edler with these two on juicy 1 year deals. It leaves us with better contract options for next year and if we really go on a run for the playoffs we can get into the TDL market too. 

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what about someone like Ben Chiarot from WPG? bigger body and same point totals as Hutty and will be a lot cheaper. Kronwall might have a year left in him too. Say we replace Hutty and Edler with these two on juicy 1 year deals. It leaves us with better contract options for next year and if we really go on a run for the playoffs we can get into the TDL market too. 

I can't imagine Chiarot looking for a 1 year deal. Not sure if he makes it to day 2 UFA either. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Chiarot as a Hutton "replacement", but if Edler does walk, I'd prefer to have both Hutton and Chiarot splitting the hard minutes left by Edler while Hughes runs the offense.

Kronwall is certainly a step or two below Edler. He might do a one year deal, but I'm not sure if the Red Wings are stepping away from him as I imagine he would like to stick with his long time team especially for the season that should take him over 1000 games.

It's simply a do what we can in a bad situation type move and it would certainly be a downgrade in the grand scheme. I just don't see Puljujarvi being all that needed at the point to make the deal until we at least have Edler locked up first. We have too many forwards as it is, and it would simply be adding to it and he's in the Goldobin limbo right now.

A plug with a Cup that hits and plays hard and a plug that’s 21yrs old and is the 4OA16.

Sign me up.

VAN

Lucic

Puljujarvi

EDM

Eriksson

Hutton or Goldobin

For Edmonton, adding Eriksson and Hutton is an improvement on team defence. The Tippet effect may finally justify Eriksson’s contract. Let’s face it, Eriksson and the Canucks have not been a fit at all. Hutton is a definite T4D in Edmonton.

For Vancouver, they get a bruising forward and most importantly, the 21yr old 4OA16. Puljujarvi and Juolevi can have familiarity in affiliation and grow in the NHL together on the same team. 

Edmonton made the right choice in selecting Puljujarvi 4th overall. However, their development system doesn’t exist so kids fall off the growth line faster than they can put that jersey on. 

Holland gets rid of two organizational headaches, Vancouver gets rid of its own headache in Eriksson.

Edmonton betters it’s defence, Vancouver gives a second chance to a young 21 year old first rounder and Green does his magic in developing him right. 

If out of it all Lucic gets to perform better than in Edmonton, that’s just a bonus at this point. At least he wants to be here; Eriksson doesn’t.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Me_ said:

A plug with a Cup that hits and plays hard and a 21yr old 4OA16 plug.

Sign me up.

VAN

Lucic

Puljujarvi

EDM

Eriksson

Hutton or Goldobin

For Edmonton, adding Eriksson and Hutton is an improvement on team defence. The Tippet effect may finally justify Eriksson’s contract. Let’s face it, Eriksson and the Canucks have not been a fit at all. Hutton is a definite T4D in Edmonton.

For Vancouver, they get a bruising forward and most importantly, the 21yr old 4OA16. Puljujarvi and Juolevi can have familiarity in affiliation and grow in the NHL together on the same team. 

Edmonton made the right choice in selecting Puljujarvi 4th overall. However, their development system doesn’t exist so kids fall off the growth line faster than they can put that jersey on. 

Holland gets rid of two organizational headaches, Vancouver gets to give a second chance to a young 21 year old first rounder and Green does his magic in developing him right. 

If out of it all Lucic gets to perform better than in Edmonton, that’s just a bonus at this point. At least he wasn’t to be here; Eriksson doesn’t.

Great proposal and absolutely perfectly stated!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

A plug with a Cup that hits and plays hard and a 21yr old 4OA16 plug.

Sign me up.

VAN

Lucic

Puljujarvi

EDM

Eriksson

Hutton or Goldobin

Holland gets rid of two organizational headaches, Vancouver gets to give a second chance to a young 21 year old first rounder and Green does his magic in developing him right. 

If out of it all Lucic gets to perform better than in Edmonton, that’s just a bonus at this point. At least he wasn’t to be here; Eriksson doesn’t.

Add a swap of 1st round picks this year then sure, because I think your proposal needs that extra sweetener still.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Lucic and Puljujarvi both suck.  

I’d rather just try and offload Eriksson to a team out east with tons of cap space.  

Yeah any Lucic deal better include 8th OA as the starting point (though I doubt Holland does it).

Puljujarvi can come too as a 'what if' depending on other moving pieces, but he's by no means the sweetener the deal should be centered around.

• Cheers 1