The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

He's a good defenseman. The issue is we only get him for around 60 games/year. We're better off paying for someone less injury-prone, as losing our top d-man for that amount of time hurts us every year.

A NTC seems more than fair.  It will just prove that the Canucks won't voluntarily trade him.  

Seattle is only like 2 hours away if he happens to get claimed.  The uncertainty is annoying, but it's way better than just uprooting his family completely and moving to who knows where.

A NMC should only be offered if he's gonna be taking a massive cut like 3 million per season, as it would most likely require the GM to make some deal to bribe Seattle to not take some prized player.  The discount would still be beneficial to the team.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Was Edler even asked to waive at the deadline?  Shouldn't we have known we would have issues signing him?  If he's not going to stay, he should of been moved 

How???

Wasn't he was asked? Maybe his agent told the club already at that stage, Edler only wanted play for Canucks, and now changed his mind?

If he didn't want to be moved you can't move him...especially in the last few months of his contract... What are you gonna do? put a gun to his head? 

You're venting your anger the wrong place....

Edited by spook007

2 hours ago, gurn said:

He did help this team, he played well at less than market value in return for a NTC.

Exactly.... why is it, that every time a player signs for less than market value in return for a NTC, the player is being hung out at the end of his contract.

It's the club that decides to hand out the NTC's... simples...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Losing Hamhuis and Edler for nothing is colossal mismanagement and anybody involved should be fired.  We/Benning/Aqualinni are going to look so stupid if Edler walks

Not as stupid as we would look if we signed him to a long term no movement contrtact. The Hamhuis situation was a totally different  and comparing them is stupid. Letting Edler walk is probably the smart move here, don't get sucked in thinking we need him.

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Upvote 2

Well Alex we are having some contract difficulties so it looks like you'll become a UFA this year.  We would appreciate it if you would at least waive your NTC.  If this discussion wasn't had then it is a failure

Yeah thanks for saying so Jim, but no thanks... I prefer to play for Vancouver, and if I can't play here, I want to decide myself where I play. Thats the reason I signed a NTC...but thanks for the coffee...

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Anything over 3 million is to much. 2 years at 3 with no clauses would sign him.  He is only a shadow of his former self.. and I mean his self before the NMC and the NTC. 

Lay off the Bud bro.

3 million?  Wtf?  He was our #1 dman by a fair margin last season.  3 million is just unrealistic.

6 million is more around what hes worth.

• Upvote 1

Really?  Want me to bring up a group who reluctantly waived their NTC's?  It happens.  Hamhuis and Garrison both waived, despite being B.C boys and wanting to stay close to family.  They were pushed

But you know what? Fine, losing Edler for nothing is nobody's fault...you win.  I will always be an Edler fan and have been one of his biggest supporters over the years.

I believe Francesco has watched all the Godfather movies and even Goodfellas but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will go all Michael Corleone on one of his players...

• Haha 1

I am an Edler fan and have defended him multiple times even though I know people who blame him for everything. 

Yet, I wouldn’t give him 6 million. 5 tops and preferable 4 or less. Giving him an NTC with a low cap hit like 3.5 isn’t out of the question but he would have to understand that we might buy him out or give him the Gagner AHL treatment or not protect him in the expansion draft if we don’t need him anymore before his contract expires.