The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

This - in my opinion - is an excellent signing . Good for the team in that the term isn't long and good for Edler - he doesn't have to move his family.  A cheaper deal then what would have been on the open market and we know what we have. . I hope we re-sign Schenn - he plays with some grit and he can move the puck. Remains to be seen what happens with Tanev - rumours  are afloat

14 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Great Job GMJB!

Now they can focus on either a Tanev trade to upgrade the right side with some offense, or sign a top 4 UFA.

On top of that sign Luke Schenn and we're looking pretty good

Edler - RD UFA or Tanev upgrade

Hughes- Tanev

Hutton- Stecher

Joulevi - Schenn

Sautner- Biega

Depth....

I still believe Tanev + Hutton will both be gone come opening night.

• Cheers 1

That’s a good deal for Vancouver....  As long as he doesn’t need protection in the expansion. 

2x6 is fair and what he’s worth. I don’t think he would have gotten much more $$ maybe a bit more term on the open market his age and history of not staying healthy his entire career and the way he plays in between contract years doesn’t help his case. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I actually wouldn't be adverse to Eddie wearing the C for the next cpl seasons.  I like Bo, but I'm not sure he's ready and, depending on madden and AG, I'm not sure hes in Van long term

That's probably one of the dumbest statements I have read on this website. Horvat IS and WILL be the next Captain, and he WILL be here for most of his career. The guys already call him Capt and if GM did that, boy oh boy would there be a riot.

1 minute ago, tas said:

I'm hopeful that the feeling in my gut is right and this is the first of many excellent moves in a huge offseason for this organization. 

I, too, think that JB is about to have a great offseason. I just think hes being super active and isn't willing to settle for a bad trade.

• Cheers 1

Great thing to have that one done and locked in.

a lot of stuff will take place here that may need to be figured out via the cap. Having Eddie and hopefully Brock signed soon will help navigate that stuff better when you dont have to figure out how much you need to have to get them signed.

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

Great signing by jb. Didn’t budge on 2 years and used edlers desire to play here against him

Or both parties talked and mutually agreed on what was best for all involved.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Shekky said:

perfect amount of term. Benning needs to sign Schenn next 

I don't think Schenn is the next necessity.

Benning needs to do two things before he signs Schenn:

1) survey the trade market, because the opportunity to acquire a Ristolainen, Cernak, Mayfiel, Foote type RHD might just be a possibility.

2) look at other UFA blueliners that in all likelihood wind up higher on the depth chart than Schenn.

I really liked/appreciated what Schenn brought at the end of last season - a really good placeholder who gave them exactly what they needed under the circumstances - and I was impressed with his ability to minimize the effect of his mobility - he seems to play 'within himself' far more effectively than when he was younger, and got caught chasing, got beaten regularly (playing in Toronto, with Phaneuf probably didn't help).

But in fairness to Schenn - he looked like a serviceable depth blueliner still late in the season - so if you're re-signing him, the reality is that he'll probably enter the season around the 5 spot on the depth chart - Tanev, Stecher, UFA/trade acquisition, and as well as Schenn played, he was still playing considerably fewer minutes than Biega, who I think at this stage at least (who knows what happens in camp, etc) falls above Schenn in the depth chart (although Schenn's size and grit helps).

Is there a better opportunity out there for Schenn to make an NHL roster?  Because in all likelihood, or probably at least a good chance he'll be exposed to waivers - so re-signing him this early may be expecting him to forego his own interests - if he finds a better opportunity where he's not as at risk of being claimed on waivers by a team that he may not particularly want to play for.  I think it might be fairest to him to revisit it after free agency opens, unless he just really wants to return here (or Utica) regardless and wants the security of a contract, in which case he's a relative no-brainer.

Look, this is a great deal given the current circumstance but I will say that Edler's priorities have never ever been to win the Cup. Much like the Sedin's, he has given Vancouver a sweetheart deal due to his personal needs. This is not the type of player you build a Cup winner around.

He is comfortable in Vancouver and just wants to ride it out here. We need to steer clear of these types of player mentality starting NOW.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2