The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

JT has been the MVP of this team so far half way into this season. This is the best move JB has made. Well worth a top pick given his skill, contract and age.

I’m more critical of the Meyers acquisition. This is one guy they needed to do more homework on. He is not a 6M defenceman and this gets lost in the conversation. I hope he picks it up, I love his size but he seems to be weak on his stick handling/puck shooting skills.

Tough choice between him and Marky IMO, Miller is the versatile glue guy for his line but we wouldn't be in some games if Markstrom didn't play lights out.

Definitely glad we got him for cheap to form the Lotto Line though!

On 12/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, WHL rocks said:

I don't think Canucks make the playoffs this year..

Vegas ARZ CGY EDM will be top 4 in division

Then one of DAL NSH SJS for 2nd WC spot.

I'm hoping we finally catch some luck and win the draft lottery.

Draft Lafreniere this coming draft... next year our young guns will be a year more mature and developed, make the playoffs win a cpl rounds and give TBL a late 1st..

I'm not sure why you think Edmonton and SJ are better than us? Edmonton is free falling and SJ is a bloody mess. Neither team has goaltending they can count on. So they're both going to finish below us IMO. Nashville and Calgary are a toss up as well with Vancouver. We have a real shot at 3rd in the division, possibly even 2nd if we go on a run. Nothing is a given but I think you're overestimating some other teams in our division. 

50 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not sure why you think Edmonton and SJ are better than us? Edmonton is free falling and SJ is a bloody mess. Neither team has goaltending they can count on. So they're both going to finish below us IMO. Nashville and Calgary are a toss up as well with Vancouver. We have a real shot at 3rd in the division, possibly even 2nd if we go on a run. Nothing is a given but I think you're overestimating some other teams in our division. 

Apparently neither team has defence to count on either. SJS is -32 as a team 101 GF to 133 GA.

Karlsson -10

Burns -24

Dillon -8

The ONLY + player is Couture at +1

What a disaster that team has become

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Apparently neither team has defence to count on either. SJS is -32 as a team 101 GF to 133 GA.

Karlsson -10

Burns -24

Dillon -8

The ONLY + player is Couture at +1

What a disaster that team has become

Taking a team as far as it could go.  I see a huge house clearing happening soon in SJ.  Wonder if their fans will lose it for 5 years of they call it a retool Vs rebuild?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Taking a team as far as it could go.  I see a huge house clearing happening soon in SJ.  Wonder if their fans will lose it for 5 years of they call it a retool Vs rebuild?  

I would say that they push their team past the max especially after Karlsson's trade and signing.  That would be like us getting Rick Nash way back in the day. 

Anyone of interest?? 

Edited by milk and honey

On 12/24/2019 at 9:25 PM, milk and honey said:

I would say that they push their team past the max especially after Karlsson's trade and signing.  That would be like us getting Rick Nash way back in the day. 

Anyone of interest?? 

Burns and Jo  Bring them  into play with Benn and have the all beard team.  

On 12/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, Phat Fingers said:

I dont agree.  JT has been excellent and the needless hand wringing was about him being a '4th liner' by those that never saw him actually play.  

The only way the 11st becomes to rich is if it is a top 5 pick.  Right now JT is easily worth a 10th pick.  

If we draft 10-15, so what.  

Just with the expected progression of our younger players like Ep40, Gaudette, Brock and Hughes will improve the team.  It is expected that younger players improve and that the decline happens after the 30 year mark or so.  

Seeing as we have a very young team, that has improved since last season, further progression should be expected the following year.  That is to say if this team regressed like Edmonton last year, then management and coaching changes would be expected.  

If things stay on track, why would we even be concerned about next years pick.  As of now, we would be in the 13-15 range.  That's a fair price for what miller brings.  

i largely agree

the talent base on this team is improved over last year's team

but the team is still needing to resolve 2 key issues

1.  it lacks a clear team identity and has become a bit too one dimensional, overall team defence has gone downhill as the season has progressed, not sure why this has happened with such a veteran laden team (miller, sutter, beagle, horvat - each line has/had a key veteran).  the goalie tandem is good. the d grouping is deeper and more talented then last season.

2.  the team is unable to find and maintain an adequate second line.  bo appears a bit cursed it seems.  2 new players are acquired, either of whom can play on his line, but ferland is injured, baer (the depth fall back guy) fades a bit due to injury, leivo is now out, and miller connects too well with ep40 (and you simply have to support ep40's talent over bo if that is the choice presented), so there is no obvious 3rd player for a bo/pearson combo.  bo, the new captain, has also seen his game produce a wee bit less (he seems to want to do a bit more on his own to carry the team).   i think baer misplayed his hand and the team should forgive him and make amends.  he should be recalled and given a final opportunity to play with bo and pearson.  if baer can't cut it, then it's up to sutter or loui to round out the bo/pearson pairing.  (the recent gaud, rous, virt line shows promise and maybe the next 20 games should be about which of these 2 lines is really the 2a or the 2b line)

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i largely agree

the talent base on this team is improved over last year's team

but the team is still needing to resolve 2 key issues

1.  it lacks a clear team identity and has become a bit too one dimensional, overall team defence has gone downhill as the season has progressed, not sure why this has happened with such a veteran laden team (miller, sutter, beagle, horvat - each line has/had a key veteran).  the goalie tandem is good. the d grouping is deeper and more talented then last season.

2.  the team is unable to find and maintain an adequate second line.  bo appears a bit cursed it seems.  2 new players are acquired, either of whom can play on his line, but ferland is injured, baer (the depth fall back guy) fades a bit due to injury, leivo is now out, and miller connects too well with ep40 (and you simply have to support ep40's talent over bo if that is the choice presented), so there is no obvious 3rd player for a bo/pearson combo.  bo, the new captain, has also seen his game produce a wee bit less (he seems to want to do a bit more on his own to carry the team).   i think baer misplayed his hand and the team should forgive him and make amends.  he should be recalled and given a final opportunity to play with bo and pearson.  if baer can't cut it, then it's up to sutter or loui to round out the bo/pearson pairing.  (the recent gaud, rous, virt line shows promise and maybe the next 20 games should be about which of these 2 lines is really the 2a or the 2b line)

Bärtschi, Pearson, Sutter And Eriksson are not 1st/2nd line players. On a SC team, they are third-liners at best.

Horvat is the classic case of the 2C/3C who is too good for 3C duty only, and may not be good enough to hold permanent 2C position.

Now dont get me wrong here. He is the prototypical team captain and consulate winner. He gives it his all.

If the answer is to get players that can play with him, then that has to be considered soon.

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

HÖGLANDER - HORVAT - PODKOLZIN

?

Edited by Me_

On 12/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, Me_ said:

In three years maybe but not anytime soon.

Edit: I see brockboester is confused again. Poor chump....always confused lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

In three years maybe but not anytime soon.

Hoglander is on our team this spring - 2020.  

Pods is on the team spring 2021.

These guys are NHL skilled, smart, and compete right now.  They will be even better over the next year and half, especially Pods.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Bärtschi, Pearson, Sutter And Eriksson are not 1st/2nd line players. On a SC team, they are third-liners at best.

Horvat is the classic case of the 2C/3C who is too good for 3C duty only, and may not be good enough to hold permanent 2C position.

Now dont get me wrong here. He is the prototypical team captain and consulate winner. He gives it his all.

If the answer is to get players that can play with him, then that has to be considered soon.

?

so you want bo to wait at least 3 more years for his wingers to arrive ?

i think the team has decided to keep gaud as a center

otherwise i'd convert him to wing and put him on bo's line

bo has shown he is a decent 2nd line center, heavy and hard to deal with

he can be productive as well

but he needs a productive winger.. miller fit the bill

but he simply seems better with ep40, or ep40 benefits from playing with him

and say what you will about pearson

he played a significant role on a team that won a stanley cup

i see 2nd line potential for both him and bo

they both play playoff style games

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, coryberg said:

38th among nhl centers last year... how many teams do you think are in the league 15?

Screenshot_20191227-153117_Chrome.jpg

Not only that but Bo was 64th in scoring amongst NHL forwards last season. Put Miller and Boeser on his wings and tell me he isn't a top line center. He did all that with any top wingers.Not to mention the hundreds of D zone faceoffs and being matched up against the other teams top lines.

Screenshot_20191227-205637_Chrome.jpg

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not only that but Bo was 64th in scoring amongst NHL forwards last season. Put Miller and Boeser on his wings and tell me he isn't a top line center. He did all that with any top wingers.Not to mention the hundreds of D zone faceoffs and being matched up against the other teams top lines.

Screenshot_20191227-205637_Chrome.jpg

I'm just hoping Bo can carve out a Patrice Bergeron type of career.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, coryberg said:

38th among nhl centers last year... how many teams do you think are in the league 15?

Screenshot_20191227-153117_Chrome.jpg

Exactly. Anyone saying Horvat is a 3C is an idiot.

Edit: I see brockboester is confused again.  Poor chump....always confused :picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:28 PM, theo5789 said:

I'm just hoping Bo can carve out a Patrice Bergeron type of career.

Bo would have some serious growing to do. Offensively, he can get there. Defensively I wouldn't bank on it. Bergeron has been an elite center over the past decade. He might be the best 200 foot player in the game. Probably a toss up between him and O'Reilly.