Sign in to follow this  
ItalianCanuck1

Nils Höglander | LW

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think he has a decent chance to play games for the big club next year.  We need to gradually feed new players ur is into the lineup so we don’t just throw a bunch in at the same time.

 

He would be on the 3rd line anyways so fairly protected.  


I expect Juolevi and either Hoglander or Lind next year, with the other one doing spot duty for injury call ups.

Then the following year it is Podkolzin and the one of Hoglander or Lind thst doesn’t make the club next season.

DPietro and Rafferty have an outside shot that’s year depending on how things go with guys we re-sign/lose to expansion.

Unless Juolevi improves his skating, if he gets up at all, it won’t be for long.

  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Unless Juolevi improves his skating, if he gets up at all, it won’t be for long.

Agreed. Unless it has improved quite a bit of late. Every time I’ve watched him his lack of quickness on the defensive side of things hasn’t been up to NHL standards. Rooting for him to succeed though. Contrary to some, critiquing prospects doesn’t mean you want them fail.

 

As for Hog....want him in North America ASAP.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you're watching the wrong player, Juolevi is a smooth and strong skater. 

I have watched pretty much all of Utica’s games, Juolevi is slow compared to any other Canuck owned D in Utica. He has virtues but skating is not one of them. If you want to see an exceptional skater, watch Rafferty - he has NHL wheels - Juolevi does not. We will see next year whether Juolevi can make and stick with the Canucks.  I’d love to see him do it, but without better skating... emphatically no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched pretty much all of Utica’s games, Juolevi is slow compared to any other Canuck owned D in Utica. He has virtues but skating is not one of them. If you want to see an exceptional skater, watch Rafferty - he has NHL wheels - Juolevi does not. We will see next year whether Juolevi can make and stick with the Canucks.  I’d love to see him do it, but without better skating... emphatically no.

Please see below from the Juolevi thread.

  

On 2/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

Nice straight line speed from Juolevi on the back check.

 

On Hoglander though, he plays the game the right way and isn't afraid of the dirty areas. Kid is a gamer for sure

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched pretty much all of Utica’s games, Juolevi is slow compared to any other Canuck owned D in Utica. He has virtues but skating is not one of them. If you want to see an exceptional skater, watch Rafferty - he has NHL wheels - Juolevi does not. We will see next year whether Juolevi can make and stick with the Canucks.  I’d love to see him do it, but without better skating... emphatically no.

To be fair, 'not exceptional' =/= 'poor'.

 

He doesn't have blazing speed or Hughes like edge work but he does have a smooth, powerful stride and is a perfectly capable skater. Particularly given the back and knee injuries he's coming back from.

  • Like 2
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you're watching the wrong player, Juolevi is a smooth and strong skater. 

@VegasCanuck you ain't cheering for the Golden Knights??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

What an absolute beauty! Kids got some skill!

 

Cant wait to get a couple more Swedish kids dominating on our first line!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

What an absolute beauty! Kids got some skill!

 

Cant wait to get a couple more Swedish kids dominating on our first line!

1 Swede and 1 Russian will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see him playing with Gaudette or Horvat in a few years and becoming a Tom Wilson or a Brad Marchand type player later in his career that other teams hate to play against with his chippiness and getting in the other team’s head but can also score. He will be a fan favorite.

  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If next year we add Hoglander and Lind up front, and then the year after we add Podkolzin... we have the capacity to trade away other good players for assets.  I really think you want to insert Hoglander next year to get experience instead of both him and Podkolzin the same year (and probably both on the 3rd line).

 

Next year:

 

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Gaudette-MacEwan

Roussel-Beagle-Lind/defensive veteran

 

That allows you to trade a guy like Virtanen for a really good return and/or shed salary cap.


 

 

Edited by Provost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Provost said:

If next year we add Hoglander and Lind up front, and then the year after we add Podkolzin... we have the capacity to trade away other good players for assets.  I really think you want to insert Hoglander next year to get experience instead of both him and Podkolzin the same year (and probably both on the 3rd line).

 

Next year:

 

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Gaudette-MacEwan

Roussel-Beagle-Lind/defensive veteran

 

That allows you to trade a guy like Virtanen for a really good return and/or shed salary cap.


 

 

Please don’t take motte out of plans going forward, and I feel like we can keep virtanen around on a very team friendly deal, hogs won’t be ready for the show next year I think pods would be but that’s all up to weather his team would release him to come or not, but I am all for filling the holes within or making hockey trades from this point forward, no more big fish free agents

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Please don’t take motte out of plans going forward, and I feel like we can keep virtanen around on a very team friendly deal, hogs won’t be ready for the show next year I think pods would be but that’s all up to weather his team would release him to come or not, but I am all for filling the holes within or making hockey trades from this point forward, no more big fish free agents

I think Hoglander could benefit from a year in the AHL, but at the same time... we know that Podkolzin is almost a lock to play In the NHL the following year.
 

Both would slot in on the 3rd line at least initially and Green isn’t going to play two rookies together... so if Hoglander doesn’t get experience and Green’s trust this coming season he could suffer by being stuck in the AHL for a couple of years after Podkolzin has that experience under his belt.

 

He may not be ready, but you give him every chance and Even plan to play him for a few games at the start of the regular season to show if he can do it.  That helps our succession plan immensely.

 

We have to feed the rookies in steadily as we still want to win.  The same as we probably won’t add both Juolevi and Rafferty in the same year.  You can’t have an all rookie 3rd pairing and we are not going to play either of them in a top 4 role until they have proven themselves in more sheltered minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Provost said:

If next year we add Hoglander and Lind up front, and then the year after we add Podkolzin... we have the capacity to trade away other good players for assets.  I really think you want to insert Hoglander next year to get experience instead of both him and Podkolzin the same year (and probably both on the 3rd line).

 

Next year:

 

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Gaudette-MacEwan

Roussel-Beagle-Lind/defensive veteran

 

That allows you to trade a guy like Virtanen for a really good return and/or shed salary cap.


 

 

can't see Lind replacing Motte at this point.. sure hope Benning can resign Toffoli.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

can't see Lind replacing Motte at this point.. sure hope Benning can resign Toffoli.. 

Motte is a LW and Lind is a LW.... it would be Hoglander replacing Motte.  Actually it would be Hoglander replacing Roussel and Roussel replacing Motte, which is a big upgrade.

I like Motte, but he is the forward version of Biega.  Totally replaceable.  He is probably a 13th/14th forward next year depending on who we can get rid of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.