The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carson Focht | C

elvis15

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Some interesting things on this kid. Seems optimistic, but who knows. Just sorta smells like Cole Cassels to me . 

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-is-hotshot-carson-focht-another-canucks-fifth-round-find

I haven't seen either players play but based off of stats, Focht isn't remotely keeping up with Cassels. Focht got 56 pts in 61 games, at the same age Cassels got 81 pts in 54 games. Those offensive stats are horrible coming from the CHL at that age. Maybe he's an elite defensive player at least?

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I haven't seen either players play but based off of stats, Focht isn't remotely keeping up with Cassels. Focht got 56 pts in 61 games, at the same age Cassels got 81 pts in 54 games. Those offensive stats are horrible coming from the CHL at that age. Maybe he's an elite defensive player at least?

I think you have to keep things in perspective....

Comparing stats from different decades is very deceiving and very often, not a good way of gauging 2 players from those two era's

5 hours ago, AK_19 said:

The report I heard on him was his motor never stops running.  It’s his work ethic they’re enamoured with. Touch of skill too. Tyler Motte esq

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you have to keep things in perspective....

Comparing stats from different decades is very deceiving and very often, not a good way of gauging 2 players from those two era's

Points has a lot to do with team strength and linemates. Cassels played on a stacked Oshawa team, that won the Memorial Cup. Focht plays for a Calgary team that was fighting to hold a wildcard spot in the WHL when COVID happened.

Different teams, different leagues, different eras... no real comparison. Or do I need to bring up Dane Fox?

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Points has a lot to do with team strength and linemates. Cassels played on a stacked Oshawa team, that won the Memorial Cup. Focht plays for a Calgary team that was fighting to hold a wildcard spot in the WHL when COVID happened.

Different teams, different leagues, different eras... no real comparison. Or do I need to bring up Dane Fox?

Not for me!

That was my point! LOL

Mr. Fox was an overaged point getter playing against 16 and 17 year old................Not a lot of upside......but he did get everyone stirred up (LOL)

No, we are in agreement!

Cheers!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 70seven said:

The report I heard on him was his motor never stops running.  It’s his work ethic they’re enamoured with. Touch of skill too. Tyler Motte esq

Well,  I would definitely be happy with  Motte type player out of him. I am a big fan of Tyler's. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well,  I would definitely be happy with  Motte type player out of him. I am a big fan of Tyler's. 

Indeed.  Getting a quality 4th liner who works hard is good value for that slot.  Developing good role players internally helps us save money and assets to keep building our core.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Not for me!

That was my point! LOL

Mr. Fox was an overaged point getter playing against 16 and 17 year old................Not a lot of upside......but he did get everyone stirred up (LOL)

No, we are in agreement!

Cheers!

::D I was quoting you to back up your point, not challenge you.

• Cheers 1

ONe thing about Benning, Green etc is that they place as much importance on the bottom six as they do the top 6.  So, this kid could be looking at being a Beagle-like player at some point and the org will probably be put a lot of resources into developing him into that kind of player and he doesn't have a lot of competition from within the org for that spot.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The Athletic did an article on Canucks prospects comparables a while back, and they put Focht somewhere between a Vern Fiddler and a Darren Helm.

Those are both long time nhlers. I'm okay with that for a 5th rounder lol.

At what point do we just trade all our picks to draft 32 times in the 5th round

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

• 4 months later...