The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Fair Criticism of Jim Benning

Rate this topic

18W-40C-6W

I agree 100% adding Burkie would be a great move.....in my books...Burkie's problem he couldn't find a goalie well Jim has couple real gems in the system...

I like Jim but like you said his ufa and trades arnt the best and I don't think he had a good role model in Boston.....

Burkie could teach him a lot. I just see Jim as a great AGM not the main guy....right now.

The draft has saved his job and is the main reason why I like Jim but some of the moves I get place holders and trying to fill in the rosters age gap but I think he needs a seasoned vet like Burke to help him out.....

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Upvote 1

Wait. Now you agree that he pisses away value like we piss away beer? Why were you arguing it in the other threads where he got too much credit?

There’s nothing more egregious than pissing away value as a manager and you are somehow saying he can piss away value and still be a good GM? Sorry, but those two things are mutually exclusive. If he can’t grasp value, he is a bad GM period.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 5
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Wait. Now you agree that he pisses away value like we piss away beer? Why were you arguing it in the other threads where he got too much credit?

There’s nothing more egregious than pissing away value as a manager and you are somehow saying he can piss away value and still be a good GM? Sorry, but those two things are mutually exclusive. If he can’t grasp value, he is a bad GM period.

Okay....let me ask you this is Burke a good GM?

4 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I would probably be classed as a Benning hater by many on this site. However I think you hit the nail on the head. This is pretty much what some of us so called haters have been saying. 

I think the owners have played a huge role in the decisions that have been made. The one thing that we might not fully agree on is the rebuild. I don't think he has ever done a rebuild . I think he ended up getting some high picks because the team was so bad. This was not planned but happened because of the poor deals that he made.

This is what scares me now. He is beginning to move first round picks. He has some money to spend. This could end up bad.

The man should be drafting and that is all.

Appleboy, I have some thoughts for you

#1. You say that the owners have had a huge role in the decisions being made...all of them? The one that went good? The ones that went bad? How do you know which ones? Personally, I would say that Aqualini had a lot to say when Benning first got here, and that is when the crux of the bad moves were made, IMO. I think they still are part of it but to a lesser degree......so I think you need to give Aqualini some of your hate.

#2. Regarding the rebuild...they said on many occasions it was a re-tool, much to the chagrin of many posters. But if #1 is true, than it is quite possible that Aqualini, had some large part in deciding it was a re-tool. I think the fans demanded a rebuild, and Linden, Aqualini, and Benning said...."OK, it is a re-build", but the fact was, it wasn't and it wasjust that Benning started hitting on some of his draft picks.

IMO, as with everyone, we have strengths and weakness, Benning's strengths are Drafting and the structure for his scouts to succeed in. Hire good people and let them do their job. Aka Brackett and Co. As for trades, who the heck knows who is making what decisions on them. How can you hate Benning for taking orders? 

I will say this in your defense, and that is that when his trades miss, they miss big, but again, who is pushing him on them? Now, also in your favor is the fact that Benning has to take some of the credit, good and bad.

I do think we are moving too fast with the additions, and I would prefer to let it grow more organically for another year or 2, as I personally think that Hughes and Demko will move us further along the line, as they are great additions to Boeser, Pettersson and Horvat. Juolevi is an unknown, as is Tryamkin, but now with Podkolzin and Hoglander, and the other prospects, we are getting closer and closer.

The addition of JT Miller is fine, but I hate like hell giving up a 1st for him. Benning has built great depth in the forward prospect pool, and I wish he would have taken alittle more time to complete the defensive side of the rebuild.

In saying all that, if Benning thinks he can complete the re-tool on the fly, over the next 2 years, by drafting Dmen, lateral trades, and UFA signings, then great, How can I argue with that?

So, yes, I have some questions, but overall, and looking forward, I am generally happy with where we are, and as it has been pointed out to me, he isn't finished. 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

To be fair you can't really judge the future which is what any GM will do when it comes to trades. It's all about Chemistry between linemates and a good example of this would be Loui Eriksson and the Sedins at the World Cup of Hockey. There line was amazing at the World Cup but it didn't translate very well when playing in an NHL Game. I Wished they had grabbed more 1st round draft picks in previous years I think Benning played it too carefully or more likely wasn't going to be able to get more 1st round draft picks because of all the NTC and NMC's that were handed out from Mike Gillis. Who knows what happens behind those closed doors and we will probably never know. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just thankful we finally have a group that can draft. 

We had a good team for awhile (Naslund,  Linden, Sedins, etc.).

Before that the Canucks had lousy teams with just as bad drafting.  IMO

This is the first time I am excited over our prospects. 

Benning is not perfect,  but the drafting team he assembled is the best I think the Canucks ever had.

The pros outweigh the cons

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Appleboy, I have some thoughts for you

#1. You say that the owners have had a huge role in the decisions being made...all of them? The one that went good? The ones that went bad? How do you know which ones? Personally, I would say that Aqualini had a lot to say when Benning first got here, and that is when the crux of the bad moves were made, IMO. I think they still are part of it but to a lesser degree......so I think you need to give Aqualini some of your hate.

#2. Regarding the rebuild...they said on many occasions it was a re-tool, much to the chagrin of many posters. But if #1 is true, than it is quite possible that Aqualini, had some large part in deciding it was a re-tool. I think the fans demanded a rebuild, and Linden, Aqualini, and Benning said...."OK, it is a re-build", but the fact was, it wasn't and it wasjust that Benning started hitting on some of his draft picks.

IMO, as with everyone, we have strengths and weakness, Benning's strengths are Drafting and the structure for his scouts to succeed in. Hire good people and let them do their job. Aka Brackett and Co. As for trades, who the heck knows who is making what decisions on them. How can you hate Benning for taking orders? 

I will say this in your defense, and that is that when his trades miss, they miss big, but again, who is pushing him on them? Now, also in your favor is the fact that Benning has to take some of the credit, good and bad.

I do think we are moving too fast with the additions, and I would prefer to let it grow more organically for another year or 2, as I personally think that Hughes and Demko will move us further along the line, as they are great additions to Boeser, Pettersson and Horvat. Juolevi is an unknown, as is Tryamkin, but now with Podkolzin and Hoglander, and the other prospects, we are getting closer and closer.

The addition of JT Miller is fine, but I hate like hell giving up a 1st for him. Benning has built great depth in the forward prospect pool, and I wish he would have taken alittle more time to complete the defensive side of the rebuild.

In saying all that, if Benning thinks he can complete the re-tool on the fly, over the next 2 years, by drafting Dmen, lateral trades, and UFA signings, then great, How can I argue with that?

So, yes, I have some questions, but overall, and looking forward, I am generally happy with where we are, and as it has been pointed out to me, he isn't finished. 

Not saying owners micromanage every decision.  What they do is set the overall agenda.  So , let's do a full blown rebuild or we want to try to stay competitive while rebuilding.  Let's build a cup contender or we want to be a playoff in 4 years.

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think the idea that he's a bad trader is heavily overstated. I'd say that he's probably an average trader. I think his greatest weakness is free agent signings, so I will agree on that point. His drafting is excellent, his trades are average, and his free agent signings are below average.

Can we pin this to the top of every Benning thread?

• Cheers 4