The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Andrej Sekera

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

On the other hand, an argument can be made that any Oiler castoffs will become highly talented players and contributors:

Taylor Hall: Hart

Devan Dubnyk: Vezina finalist

Jordan Eberle: Valued playoff scorer

Jeff Petry: Legit top 3 defenseman

Yakupov: KHL player :lol: 

You forgot Justin Schultz, Stanley Cup winner.

I would take Sekera as a depth d-man for $1M or so in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 2

Id actually sign this guy on the cheap for 1 year. Has had injury problems recently but is a good player when healthy. We could use him short term until Juolevi is up to speed and ready for top 6 minutes.

Edler

Hughes

Sekera- trade at deadline. Bring in Juolevi, Teves or Brisebois.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That gives them +11m below cap, so they COULD sign a player or two that MIGHT help them out.B)

I could see a reclamation project winger signing there for one season to play with McDavid in hopes to resurrect their career, and then cash in next July.

i wonder if Jake would work with Conner?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I could see a reclamation project winger signing there for one season to play with McDavid in hopes to resurrect their career, and then cash in next July.

i wonder if Jake would work with Conner?  

He certainly has the speed, but beyond that, I'm not sure.  For the Nucks to trade JV to a division rival (while he's still developing) it would take a solid trade that helped improve the team. 

I would say take a chance at him but he's been injured the last 2 years and played less than 30 games in those seasons and at 33 years old I'd be afraid this is a trend due to his age rather than circumstance.

Either way we have Edler and Tanev on the roster still so with their health uncertainty we would be better suited in targeting someone like Jordie Benn even if it is for longer term and higher cap hit.

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, if he would be willing to sign a 1 year "show me" contract, I would take him.

Is he the answer to our d issues?  No. But a cheap 1 year contract is easy for us to absorb and it allows us to look at next year's UFAs instead of this year's which is not an ideal selection right now.

It also gives us a better idea to Tryamkin's return.

Sekara did manage decent points before his last two injury filled seasons. If he trains hard and stays healthy I see at least the potential of him being a moderate contributor.

Finally, a cheap contract would at the veey least give us the security of having another d who can actually play in the NHL when Tanev and friends go down.