The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

With no more goons in the league, Ferland is the perfect sh!t disturber.  He can run amuck (as long as he doesn't take many stupid penalties) and create chaos for the other team because there are very very few players in the league he can't throw them with and win.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, mll said:

Can't buyout anyone anymore.  The buyout window closed on 30 June and there's no 2nd window for the Canucks as no one filed for arbitration.

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Bye Loui, or Sutter, or Tanev, or Goldy

Hopefully the first two

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

It's $3.5M

Looks like a good signing. The "only" problem is the cap.

Here are some possibilities.

1. This contract is about the same as Baetschi's in cap hit. Maybe Baer has had some recurring post concussion symptoms and will start the season on LTIR or maybe he retires. The other possibility is that the Canucks basically give Baer away. If he was healthy they could give away his contract but with his concussion issues, I don't see a lot of other teams being willing to take on his contract. But maybe they could package him with a small asset and find a taker.

2. Waiving Loui does  almost nothing -- only saves about a million on the cap. His contract is obviously untradable. But if the Canucks retain half his salary and package a small asset with him they might be able to unload his contract -- if they are lucky.

3. I am not sure if the Canuck can give away Sutter's contract. I doubt it. But, once again, maybe he can be packaged with a small asset. Or they could retain salary and maybe clear enough cap space.

4. Maybe Boeser signs a short bridge deal. That might save a bit. If he signed at, say, 5 million per year for 2 years, the numbers probably would work. But I don't see this as very likely.

5. The Canucks could trade Tanev and probably get something back -- maybe a second or third round pick. That would solve the current cap problem.

6. I don't see room for Goldy on this team. I think he has to sign for his QO and then the Canucks waive him. Or maybe they give him away first. But that does not solve the cap problem.

7. I also don't see room for Schaller. He will probably get waived to Utica but that only saves about a million off the cap. The Canucks would be fortunate if they can give him away to another team and save the full 1.9 million.

8. The Canucks are looking at major cap issues 2 years from now when EP and Hughes have to be re-signed. As others have said, Benning is all in for making the playoffs this year and is willing to let the future take care of itself. I just hope the Canucks do not have to give away too much to clear cap space.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, nazzymx said:

Now all we need is to trade for a D.  Sutter+Virtanen  for Risto?

Please please please!!!!!  If we were to do that, it would be hard for us to not be in the western conference contender convo.  Imagine Tryamkin coming back for a playoff run too:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Stecher

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Great Canucks said:

Dimitri has always been an idiot.

how this guy gets any attention from anyone is beyond me.  He's an absolute pod.......another analytics baby who thinks the purpose of the league is to find killer deals, and amass high draft pick after high draft pick, not actually win the cup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

My favorite comment?

Not good at all. Can potentially come back to bite us if he's healthy since we currently have the same grit and toughness of a high school girls softball team. Trey gotta fix that soon.7

Recall long after the 2015 playoffs Benning still saying that he was very disturbed by what happened.  I think this basically closes the circle, acquiring the nemesis for our own, and can unleash him back against the enemy.

Both Alberta teams are capped out, and can't really do much to improve aside from try to make trades.  Calgary needs to scramble just to re-sign Tkachuk and 18YO.  Perhaps they'll move Russell but then need to replace him, unless they figure that'll be with their younger ones.

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

This could be huge if true...and if im interpreting it correctly.  So if Loui signs a 3 year deal in Sweden to a team they agree to loan him to he is off the books here?

That would be some magic wand, pull a rabbit out of a hat, action

I’m not sure, it seems like it.. I have referred it to other whizzes here who should know better..  

This of course would have to be in his contract.. this part probably a standard approach so a player does not have to go to the AHL, and leaves him options.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I think this team is a playoff team now.  I would much prefer to keep Sutter and Beagle.  These are the types of players the Canucks would be trading for at the trade deadline.  This way no need to give up draft picks.  Inevitably there will be injuries, so the depth is needed.  Bo doesn't have to take defensive faceoffs.  He was noticeably tired in the 2nd half of the year having to take every draw.  If you are a playoff team, you have to think about being rested and ready to go in the playoffs.  Now the Canucks on paper are a playoff team.  No need to send Sutter or Beagle anywhere.

Tend to agree. I mean I'm not opposed to moving Sutter later this year/next summer if Gaudette looks like he can legit play 3C this season (albeit more of an offensive/2 way presence vs Sutter), simply as a matter of managing bodies, but we have no 'need' otherwise to move Sutter and him and Beagle would be HUGE in potentially getting us to, and playing in, the playoffs.

I think it far more likely we move the likes of Baer out and attempt to do something with Eriksson. And Tanev's gone at some point as well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

@Squamfan just shared this in an Eriksson thread...  this could be fantastic.

Would be great if true, but unfortunately I don’t believe that situation would apply to Eriksson. 

IIRC that section of the CBA is regarding contract clauses like the “European assignment clause” Petey and Tryamkin received on their ELCs.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

With no more goons in the league, Ferland is the perfect sh!t disturber.  He can run amuck (as long as he doesn't take many stupid penalties) and create chaos for the other team because there are very very few players in the league he can't throw them with and win.

Now trade Tanev and bring over Tryamkin and with the rest of the team now, this may be the team that other teams do not like to play.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

how this guy gets any attention from anyone is beyond me.  He's an absolute pod.......another analytics baby who thinks the purpose of the league is to find killer deals, and amass high draft pick after high draft pick, not actually win the cup.

He and JD Burke should get in a canoe together off prospect point and just keep on paddling away out to sea.......

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2