The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2011 roster compared to the current 2019-20 season

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

2010-11 Canucks in 2020  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This topic is simple comparing rosters side by side. 2019-20 to 2010-11

Pettersson    H.Sedin

Boeser          D.Sedin

Horvat           Kesler 

Ferland         Burrows

Miller            Samuelsson 

Sutter           Malholtra

Baertschi      Raymond

Roussel        Torres

Beagle          Lapierre

Pearsson      Hanson

Virtanen        Higgens

Leivo            Glass

Edler             Edler

Myers            Salo

Hughes         Ehrhoff

Tanev            Tanev

Stecher         Bieksa

Benn             Hamhuis

Biega            Rome

Fantenberg   Alberts or Ballard

This comparison begs the question, could the 2010-11 Canucks make the playoffs or win the Cup in 2020.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 2

I'm not entirely sure about that - and I don't think it's really at all that close, especially when you start with the first three names on that list from the 2011 squad. The Sedins were in their prime and two of the most dominant players in the league, and Kesler (love him or hate him) was an unstoppable force who was a pain in the ass to play against and potted 40 goals that season.

Oh yeah, and Luuuuu.

I'm very excited for next season and think we'll make the playoffs, but that 2011 squad was a special, SPECIAL team. It's not really fair to compare the two, yet.

Also, 2011 Malhotra > Sutter. Every day of the week.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2011 roster - mostly fully mature players in their prime (that team was the best in the nhl despite their failure to win the cup)

current roster - key components are immature and it is not clear what their full development might bring (success for this team would to simply make the playoffs this season)

you might want to revise your poll

clearly the 2010 - 11 team was playoff worthy - not sure why you make that a question

Edited by coastal.view

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

2011 roster - mostly fully mature players in their prime (that team was the best in the nhl despite their failure to win the cup)

current roster - key components are immature and it is not clear what their full development might bring (success for this team would to simply make the playoffs this season)

you might want to revise your poll

clearly the 2010 - 11 team was playoff worthy - not sure why you make that a question

Cause one person already voted No. I don't make the poll for one persons opinion I made it for all peoples opinion that is why polls exist

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

The 2011 team was much more matured and experienced than the current group we have, there’s no real way you could argue against this. I think a better comparison would be the 2008-09 team. Similar stats to this one and was on the cusp of breaking out. 

I do not need more reasons to write more topics LOL

But maybe I will

Edited by Arrow 1983

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

ok

i simply find that question bizarre

but like you point out

i'm just one person on this site

don't worry I'm only one person and only get one vote as well my opinion only has as much meaning as 1 in 8 billion as that's the population in the world. We are all just tiny specs with tiny spec opinions.

31 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm not entirely sure about that - and I don't think it's really at all that close, especially when you start with the first three names on that list from the 2011 squad. The Sedins were in their prime and two of the most dominant players in the league, and Kesler (love him or hate him) was an unstoppable force who was a pain in the ass to play against and potted 40 goals that season.

It's not close.  I think people forget just how dominant that 2011 team was.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but it's probably illegal given this proposition. The 2011 team was incredibly dominant. They weren't just the best team in the league, they were the best by a country mile. The current team isn't even in the same solar system as that team right now.

Yeah, this isn't to say the current lineup is crap ala comparing the Harlam Globetrotters to the Washington Generals.  It just hasn't hit their peak (as players are still developing) while the 2011 was at it's peak.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

What was the purpose of including our current roster if your question only pertains to the 2011 roster? Did you think about what you were asking before you typed it out?

To answer the question, that team was a juggernaut. They'd be a top 3 team at minimum in any given year. 

• Cheers 1

One of the things that jump out  is the number of overpaid d 3rd and 4th liners we have now vs the 2011 team. guys like malhotra, samuelson, higgins and hanson were effective at what they did, and got paid as 3rd and 4thliners, whereas our current 3rd and 4th line are argueably overpaid by 200%

Pettersson  < H.Sedin

Boeser        < D.Sedin

Horvat         < Kesler 

Ferland       < Burrows

Miller           < Samuelsson 

Sutter          < Malholtra

Baertschi     < Raymond

Roussel      > Torres

Beagle        < Lapierre

Pearsson    < Hanson

Virtanen      > Higgens

Leivo           >Glass