The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

5 minutes ago, KKnight said:

No team needs a legitimate enforcer. A team needs toughness and pushback.

If a team is going to play the physical style of game, they're going to need someone to stand up to the heavyweights, because some teams will inevitably push back. That's where the enforcer comes in, he doesn't have to play every game, but it's good to have that kind of player if you need him. Think of it as insurance.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Not debating Van got tougher. Just pointing that out to the one person who was comparing the 2 rosters and the other highlighting fighting ability. Facts are facts. 

Fighting is overrated these days.  They usually turn into a 'huggy dance' and then the refs break it up.  I think clean, but hard heavy hits (on a consistent basis) is far more effective.  Now if Neal, Ferland, + Miller can fire up Virtanen, the Canucks will be a very tough team to play against.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm going to wait and see

you are assuming calgary was unaware of those facts

i'm thinking they had some idea

Well everyone is going to have to wait and see. This is the trade thread where we discuss the trade. 

I'm sure Flames were aware. But cgy also saves about 10mill salary. So there's a lot more to a trade than just player X for player Y. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Toughness in the top 6 is what counts.

If you look at the 1 year they made the playoffs and had success BOTH Maroon and Lucic were consistently producing on the top 2 lines while Kassian was a main stay on the 3rd line. This is why the Ferland signing was pivotal. Would still love another tougher guy in the top 9 for Van. 

I suppose that's where Podkolzin's name enters the discussion.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jam126 said:

What does hitting have to do with speed? Have you even seen him play the past 2 seasons? He can't score, he can't skate, he can't pass, he can't keep up with teammates. He only scored 2 goals in the entire calendar year of 2018. Plus he gets paid too much for a year longer than Eriksson. Cool he can hit and fight, that's also what Gudbranson was here, do not need a redux.

Oh he fought alright, fought the puck majority of the season. 

• Haha 3

Just now, higgyfan said:

Fighting is overrated these days.  They usually turn into a 'huggy dance' and then the refs break it up.  I think clean, but hard heavy hits (on a consistent basis) is far more effective.  Now if Neal, Ferland, + Miller can fire up Virtanen, the Canucks will be a very tough team to play against.

"Huggy dance" because majority of the skilled fighters are gone. Fighting always has been a significant part of the game. It may have decreased, but grown men playing a physical sport will always be ruled by intimidation and enforcement. Anyone who has played at a decent level will understand that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I suppose that's where Podkolzin's name enters the discussion.

He's an 18 year old kid who hasn't fought or competed against grown men in the NHL. Irrelevant to the discussion at this point. He has the potential to be a grinding power forward though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Oh he fought alright, fought the puck majority of the season. 

Fought not falling too.

Lucic can’t play any more.  The Flames are that elephant with the big ears.  What’s his name?  

33 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

Canucks are tougher than they were, it's a step in the right direction, but it's still not enough. We need a legitimate enforcer.

Id love to have a tough guy on the 4th line but has to be  someone who can play a regular 4th line shift. 

Hope big Mac can take another step next season and get 25 odd games in the lineup.  Id also like him to add 10 lbs to get to above 215 lbs. 

A guy like Reaves on the 4th line would be great..

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Oilers retain 12.5% on Lucic contract

So ends up being 

Flames

5.25 mill Lucic + 3rd 

Oilers

6.5 mill Neal 

Not bad for both sides. Lucic will be tradable again to rebuilding cap floor team next summer. OTT would be good fit with all the kids on their rebuilding team.

They would take a protector/enforcer @  3mill salary 6 mill cap. 

honestly tho for us that would not have been worth it. Without Puljujarvi I wouldn't want Jim to make this deal. Happy now @aGENT

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Id love to have a tight guy on the 4th line bit someone who can play a regular 4th line shift too. 

Hope big Mac can take another step next season and get 25 odd games in the lineup.  Id also like him to add 10 lbs to get to above 215 lbs. 

A guy like Reaves on the 4th line would be great..

I agree, Reaves would be ideal.

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

"Huggy dance" because majority of the skilled fighters are gone. Fighting always has been a significant part of the game. It may have decreased, but grown men playing a physical sport will always be ruled by intimidation and enforcement. Anyone who has played at a decent level will understand that. 

The kind of fighting you're talking about is pretty rare these days.  Most of time 2 or 3 punches are throw and then it's off to the penalty box.  Most teams can't afford to have an enforcer on their team that only plays spotty minutes.  They need all players on the team to play their roles every game; excluding the injured guys.

Anyways, looks like he's going to Calgary.  He'll have his hands full as the Oilers a lot more bodies willing to fight than what the Flames have. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I find it funny that Eriksson can't even be moved but these 2 guys can find new homes no problem, no one wants Eriksson, but hey on CDC "Eriksson is so good defensively", why wouldn't a team want Eriksson if he was that good defensively then? The one argument CDC has tried to use for years(cough cough Oldnews) to defend him, guess what he can't be that good then, NO OTHER TEAMS EVEN WANT HIM :lol:

I really don't think you have captured the tone of CDC there.

Don't put Oldnews on everyone else.