The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Me too, except Milan has a full NMC.  Loui has only a NTC.  We can send Loui to the minors.  Hopefully he then retires.  Cap is gone.  Lucic is eating 6 million in cap for four more years.  

The NMC measn he has to be protected in the ED.  Not the kind of contract Seattle will want.  Wonder who the Flames will lose because of his NMC.  The gift that keeps on giving!

LE's contract will be much easier to unload after the bonus next summer.  I full expect him to retire after that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The NMC measn he has to be protected in the ED.  Not the kind of contract Seattle will want.  Wonder who the Flames will lose because of his NMC.  The gift that keeps on giving!

LE's contract will be much easier to unload after the bonus next summer.  I full expect him to retire after that.

I see the Flames losing a player like Sam Bennett.  Expansion teams seem to love high motor guys, who play with some bite.  Must be what they think is exciting for their fans to watch, and to sell the game.  Lucic is a dinosaur.  How many goals does Neal have already?  :lol:

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Me too, except Milan has a full NMC.  Loui has only a NTC.  We can send Loui to the minors.  Hopefully he then retires.  Cap is gone.  Lucic is eating 6 million in cap for four more years.  

Doesn't Calgary need to agree to honour his NMC clause now that he's been traded? I forget how that works.

Edited by VIC_CITY

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Doesn't Calgary need to agree to honour his NMC clause now that ge's been traded? I forget how that works.

I think players traded have their agents write an addendum to their existing contract (that is signed by the the new team) saying that the new team will honor the player's existing clauses.  The trade would not happen if the new team refused to sign the addendum.   So yes, Calgary is on the hook for four years at 6 million.  The can't expose him or send him to the AHL.  They must keep a roster spot for Milan for the term of the deal.  He's basically a six million dollar anchor.  

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Lucic waived his NMC to get traded

I think in the expansion draft, Calgary will ask him, If he would waive his NMC to be exposed and have a chance at being closer to home playing in Seattle and even he knows there is a very strong chance of him not being claimed, and he remains in Calgary, anyways and he does not look like a villain to the fans for the team losing another younger prospect because of him and weakening the team he plays for

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think players traded have their agents write an addendum to their existing contract (that is signed by the the new team) saying that the new team will honor the player's existing clauses.  The trade would not happen if the new team refused to sign the addendum.   So yes, Calgary is on the hook for four years at 6 million.  The can't expose him or send him to the AHL.  They must keep a roster spot for Milan for the term of the deal.  He's basically a six million dollar anchor.  

I know there's been trades where an acquiring team hasn't honoured a player's NTC/NMC. PK Subban was one example. Although his NMC had not come into effect at the time of the trade.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/pk-subban

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Neal does it again oh the humanity

But look, guys!  Milan is on pace for 500+ PIMs!  That is grit and truculence.

... and 240 hits.       Lucic is with the Flames for reasons other than scoring..  and Neal is fitting in with the Oilers.

The trade is a betterment for both Teams

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Yep.

Justin Schulz being an important player for the Pens for their Cup wins.

Deven Dubnyk being an all-star, Veniza and Hart nominated goalie after leaving Edmonton.

Taylor Hall went from a very good player to an elite MVP player.

Jeff Petry from being a depth defenseman for the Oilers to being a key defender for the Habs.

The Oilers players should be treated like searching at the bargain bins.  Once in a while you might find some great ideas at a low low price, lol. 

Except Lucic

• Haha 1

Just visited calgaryschmuck (er calgarypuck) .  Funny how they have gone on for dozens of pages trying to reduce Neal's production into a smoke and mirrors game where he is fluking out and is being propped up by better players (coz his history of numerous 20+ goal seasons in the past was a fluke too).   Anyhow as a fan of a rival team its fun when the Alberta teams launch a gutter ball (Edmonton has done this far more than Cgy) ..and watching the reasoning (ie having a guy sucker punch Zadorov in the head for a clean hit is more valuable than 7 goals in 4 games) can be comical.

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Darius said:

Just visited calgaryschmuck (er calgarypuck) .  Funny how they have gone on for dozens of pages trying to reduce Neal's production into a smoke and mirrors game where he is fluking out and is being propped up by better players (coz his history of numerous 20+ goal seasons in the past was a fluke too).   Anyhow as a fan of a rival team its fun when the Alberta teams launch a gutter ball (Edmonton has done this far more than Cgy) ..and watching the reasoning (ie having a guy sucker punch Zadorov in the head for a clean hit is more valuable than 7 goals in 4 games) can be comical.

Yup.  I hate the Flames way more than I hate the Oilers, so it's awesome knowing the Flames have the 6 million dollar anchor that is Lucic for four more years.  :lol::frantic:

• Cheers 1

I don't hate either of these teams - at least not when they're playing grown up hockey (referring to the Coil here).  They have been insufferable and impossible to support - but I think that changed the day they finally brought in some competence - I think Tippett will make them considerably better, but I've said that numerous times already (won't surprise me if he turns them into a team competing for a playoff spot).

Edmonton has been pathetic long enough that it's almost a pleasure to see them finally producing some results - although it's only four games - they look a lot more structured and stable than they've been in quite some time.  So I'm going to go back to not minding that franchise - and when it comes to the Lames or them vs teams south of the border - I'm on their bandwagon.

When they play us, I refer back to hating them.

Don't usually disagree with the Lames moves, but this one seemed to have disaster written all over it from the get-go (a shocker that they'd do the Coil the favour of taking that Lucic contract off their hands).

on a side note - not sure if you folks got to see the Coil/Devils OT last night - but what a barn-burner 3 on 3 between those teams.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't hate either of these teams - at least not when they're playing grown up hockey (referring to the Coil here).  They have been insufferable and impossible to support - but I think that changed the day they finally brought in some competence - I think Tippett will make them considerably better, but I've said that numerous times already (won't surprise me if he turns them into a team competing for a playoff spot).

Edmonton has been pathetic long enough that it's almost a pleasure to see them finally producing some results - although it's only four games - they look a lot more structured and stable than they've been in quite some time.  So I'm going to go back to not minding that franchise - and when it comes to the Lames or them vs teams south of the border - I'm on their bandwagon.

When they play us, I refer back to hating them.

Don't usually disagree with the Lames moves, but this one seemed to have disaster written all over it from the get-go (a shocker that they'd do the Coil the favour of taking that Lucic contract off their hands).

on a side note - not sure if you folks got to see the Coil/Devils OT last night - but what a barn-burner 3 on 3 between those teams.

As Canuck fans, strong teams in Alberta is a good thing.  It pushes the Canucks to be better and brings much much more meaning to games.  I really hope the three Canadian teams start dominating the Pacific again

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

? It's not really an either/or question.

The fact is, Luc got moved and we're stuck with Loui.  

And now Calgary is stuck with Looch.  We can send Loui to the A.  The Flames must keep Looch on their roster for four more years.  Loui will soon retire, and his cap goes poof.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

? It's not really an either/or question.

The fact is, Luc got moved and we're stuck with Loui.  

Looch got moved for what was seen as an equally bad contract and that trade now looks like it’ll blow up in Calgary’s face. At least, early returns seem to indicate so. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The oilers actually got value back for Lucic, that's my whole point.  I'm not saying we should of traded Loui for Lucic.  

I think the Canucks balked at the idea of taking on the extra year of Lucic or Neal. Not a bad call imo. I think they’re best off to just ride the contract out. Maybe they’ll be able to move it in the last year or two. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, The 5th Line said:

No of course not for 6 mil but he's at 5.25 right now and I'd swap him for Loui.

20 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

The oilers actually got value back for Lucic, that's my whole point.  I'm not saying we should of traded Loui for Lucic.  

Are you sure? Kinda sounds like you were.

We don't need Lucic.  Perhaps Calgary does, since they were pretty soft, but with our collection of middleweights, we can skip on a heavyweight that doesn't add much else.

It sucks that Loui didn't pan out as hoped, but his contract ends sooner, so IMO we are better off as we are.  Even better if Looch continues to take dumb penalties in Cowtown.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1