The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach: Mr. Travis Green (discussion)

Rate this topic

Jester13

Based on looks, I think Green would be perfect as the lead in Julius Caesar. As a coach, I'm not sure about him. I like his honesty, I suppose, and he seems demanding of his players. Although, I wonder if he sees players like Pettersson and Boeser, and believes they're just regular players instead of superstars that should be protected. It appears to me that he really cherishes PPs, and this could possibly be one of the reasons why he doesn't want guys retaliating. They would lose the PP opportunity. Disciplined hockey? Sometimes this is smart, but not when a star is targeted. I think there should be different rules for Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat. You touch these guys and you'll pay with some physicality. I'm not sure Green thinks like this. Maybe more like?: You injure one of these guys, then we'll get the PP, and try to score. Hmm. Shades of 2011. But I will wait and see what happens during the regular season. Lot of new guys, so maybe they just need time to gel as a team.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Well Guddy got benched all of 0 times last year in a season where Green was holding players accountable. 

I'm also not sure of the defense sets

Because we were trying to showcase him for a trade, and where is he now, Oh right he got traded. Guddy had some usefulness more then we can say about Goldy

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Because we were trying to showcase him for a trade, and where is he now, Oh right he got traded. Guddy had some usefulness more then we can say about Goldy

I'm just not sold on Green. He talks about playing fast and hard brand of hockey, but I'm yet to see it. If anything teams know they can still get away with running our forwards making us look softer. If the team is 5 or more games below  .500    by Christmas I say we hire a new coach, we can't risk being a lottery team 2 more years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I am on the fence with Green. Teams past have been small and limited in skill so he has played the team within those perimeters. I think that like JV, it will be a telling year for him as well.

I would have liked to have seen more of a pack mentality but when all you have is Guddy and Dorsett as the tough guys it is limited.

Take for instance JV. He was starting to deliver the big hits and being a gamer but then he gets blindsided by Getz and out. Over and Over we say guys run over and we had nobody to stand up to it. Was it taught or was it circumstances I do not know. However, I think it is a big cause for JV stepping back as he saw anyone that played tough get run over. There just was no back up or people that could step up.

This year we are bigger and we have guys that can play that game. I think there needs to be a bit more of a pack mentality or retribution for things done against this team. This will bring out the best in JV. It will make fun for us. 

So, all in all, I reserve judgment on Green till the 20 game mark to see what system he has for a team with Skill, Sandpaper and a more complete team.

• Upvote 2

On 9/27/2019 at 8:27 PM, reyezone said:

i may be experiencing my first feelings of doubt in Greener.

Keep things in perspective. TG is only an interim coach like Uncle Willy was.   If we ever start to get close to contending for the cup there will be an upgrade to an experienced coach.  Rest assured of that!

4 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

I don’t like how he has the forwards so high when trying to exit the D zone.  This isn’t the 90’s Redwings.  This team MUST keep it simple and exit their zone as a five man unit.  I really question Greens coaching sometimes 

Especially that hilarious "back pass play" they always use on the PP.  Every team knows it's coming and that Edler will somehow F it up.   It's so sad that its funny.  I laugh every time I see that!!!  TG is a bantam coach!

I don't like Greens dump and change philosophy.

Jake or whoever should gain the zone first when they have a chance. Or "feel" if they have an advantage (size wise, or maybe the other team is at the end of a shift?)

It's a turnover system mentality when we could have a chance to extend our possession.

• Upvote 1

I'll be totally honest, I'm not a fan of Green at all.

I don't like the way he's structuring the lines, with all of the scoring threats squeezed into the top 6 and the bottom 6 being loaded with defensive plugs that aren't any threat to score. It makes for a one dimensional and easily counterable lineup imo. I hate the fact he cut Baertschi. I was actually looking forward to seeing the effect that either him or one of our other "middle six" forwards with offensive ability would have had on the bottom six. 

I don't care for the way the team is always dumping and chasing either. Have some faith in your players ability to carry the puck in ffs. 

I don't like the "turn the other cheek" mentality the team seems to have when someone is targeted either. Too many times over the past year we've seen our star players targeted, and too many time the team has done nothing. Toughness doesn't mean loading your lineup with goons It's a team-wide mentality, and one that Green doesn't seem to want to nurture. 

Another thing I noticed was that too often after we lost a game, Green would say the team "played well", even if we hadn't played well at all. That just hits me as a lack of accountability. 

There were also a couple of stretches last year where we went on loooooong losing streaks. While that may not be all on the coach alone, the fact that those losing streaks lasted so long is an indictment on the coaches inability to pull the team out of it. 

• Like 1