The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sign Pettersson to the Eichel contract

In 2017 the Buffalo Sabres signed Jack Eichel to a 8 year 80 million dollar contract which was 13.33 % if the cap at the time. Eichel still had 1 year left in his ELC and many viewed this contract as an overpayment. Looking at the current RFA market, it’s hard to argue that 10 million per season for the next 7 years is overpaying for a number 1 centre entering his prime. 

My my idea is JB should pursue the same contract with pettersson. Assuming  the salary cap is 83.5 million for the 2020-2021 season, 13.33 % of the cap would be 11.14 million. 

Locking petey up long term at this dollar figure before the final year of his ELC is, imo, the smartest move the Canucks can make regarding pettersson. It eliminates the possibility of an offer sheet and sets the Canucks up for a decade of success

Edited by The_Rocket
Had the wrong years in the op
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

In 2017 the Buffalo Sabres signed Jack Eichel to a 8 year 80 million dollar contract which was 13.33 % if the cap at the time. Eichel still had 1 year left in his ELC and many viewed this contract as an overpayment. Looking at the current RFA market, it’s hard to argue that 10 million per season for the next 7 years is overpaying for a number 1 centre entering his prime. 

My my idea is JB should pursue the same contract with pettersson. Assuming  the salary cap is 83.5 million for the 2019-2020 season, 13.33 % of the cap would be 11.14 million. 

Locking petey up long term at this dollar figure before the final year of his ELC is, imo, the smartest move the Canucks can make regarding pettersson. It eliminates the possibility of an offer sheet and sets the Canucks up for a decade of success

This is actually not a bad idea at all.

At the end of the day, Petey's gotta earn that kind of a contract. Let's see how this upcoming season plays out. If he outproduces his totals of last season, then a contract like that is not out of the question.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I'd rather wait and hold on personally. Even if Pettersson does score something like 90 points this year, I don't think he'll be worth much more than $10M. If on the other hand, he only scores 75 points, we might be able to get him for $8-$9M.

• Upvote 1

Yeah.....not gunna happen. Eichel probably signed his contract more on family advice than his agents advice. Younger elite level players don't want to tie themselves down to a contract that is high priced when it is signed but will be quite mediocre or even low end by the end of it.

I can see Petey signing a five year deal when its time for him to get a new deal. With the current market and CBA (which is possibly going to be extended or just slightly modified according to how current negotiations are going), a long term deal just doesn't make financial sense for him.

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Pettersson slowed down considerably in the 2nd half of the season. Eichel is a league talent, are you certain with 1 season to show for it, Pettersson is a comparable? 

Besides us homers, I would venture that 80-90% of people that pay real attention to hockey expect Petey will be a superior player to Eichel.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Petey still have two years left on his ELC?  And doesn't that mean JB can't even start talking about a new contract until after July 1st 2020?

My mistake for not making it more clear in the post, but im saying they should sign him to this deal NEXT summer, when he will have only one year left

11 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

My mistake for not making it more clear in the post, but im saying they should sign him to this deal NEXT summer, when he will have only one year left

12 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

My my idea is JB should pursue the same contract with pettersson. Assuming  the salary cap is 83.5 million for the 2019-2020 season, 13.33 % of the cap would be 11.14 million. 

Fair enough.  But then shouldn't the calculation be based on the projected salary cap for the 2020-21 season?  If the approach is to base the offer on a percentage of the cap hit, then wouldn't the team and the agent be looking at the incoming cap hit?  Using the 2019-20 cap to pitch this as a theory is OK, but I would think they would be using the 2020-21 cap numbers when they actually sit down to negotiate.

Don't get me wrong, I like the theory, I just think you're a little early.

What could make this more interesting is if either side opts out this September, although I think that is highly unlikely.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They can offer it, but his agent will likely tell him to wait for the season to end in case he kicks his play into another higher gear and outperforms even an $11 million contract.

thats true, but you can always get a nagging injury or some other thing that brings the numbers down. I could definitely see a push to extend Petey at the end of Y2 of his ELC. Pretty hard to say no to 88 mil today, and hold out for what, 95? I think he'd go for the big contract in year 2 personally. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They can offer it, but his agent will likely tell him to wait for the season to end in case he kicks his play into another higher gear and outperforms even an $11 million contract.

Or his agent screws up and Petey has a so so season or possible injury that effects his long term status etc concussion

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd rather wait and hold on personally. Even if Pettersson does score something like 90 points this year, I don't think he'll be worth much more than $10M. If on the other hand, he only scores 75 points, we might be able to get him for $8-$9M.

Or he could get another concussion and miss a significant amount of time. I think the only question mark with Petey is durability and this season will tell us alot even with the extra toughness added

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Pettersson slowed down considerably in the 2nd half of the season. Eichel is a league talent, are you certain with 1 season to show for it, Pettersson is a comparable? 

Eichel has out-produced EPs rookie year in only one year which was 18/19, where Eichel was 22 and EP was 20, their age is almost identical in regards to their draft years as well.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, but you can always get a nagging injury or some other thing that brings the numbers down. I could definitely see a push to extend Petey at the end of Y2 of his ELC. Pretty hard to say no to 88 mil today, and hold out for what, 95? I think he'd go for the big contract in year 2 personally. 

Most athletes will bet on themselves.  There is risk in that, but if you're a player as dynamic as EP40, you take that risk.  Not to mention that the agent who makes a percentage wants that percentage to bring in as much as possible. 

He'll absolutely most likely wait until towards the end of year 2 to start making salary demands.  Unless of course for some reason he has a lackluster year.  Then he'd have to decide if he'll take a chance and play through the final year of his ELC with no contract or accept a bridge contract.