The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

2 hours ago, mll said:

New Jersey says that there are a lot of teams that have a lot of talent but they don't excel because they don't have the right culture.  Puljujarvi sitting out and demanding a top-6 spot rather than earning it, doesn't really fit with the culture they are building over there.   

Seems like there’s a lot of RFAs that are gonna be sitting because they want top dollar. Should we question their character?

All Puljujarvi wants is a chance to prove himself, which i think it could be argued he hasn’t been given.

Its his career at stake after all. I don’t question his character any more than someone holding out for more money. If these guys don’t look after themselves no one else will.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t pay much attention to those they often seem to be subjective.

Watching him play at the world juniors I remember thinking man if this guy could figure out how to use his speed and his line mates better he could be really dangerous. I’m still left thinking that.

He is kind of like Grabner that way. I remember he would create a ridiculous number of chances a game with his speed but was just too raw to know how to use it properly.

I’m sure he’ll find success in the league at some point. I see him being an inconsistent player like Grabner though. I don’t think his hockey IQ is high enough. This has been covered in recent months as well.

Don’t think I agree on all points but that’s fair. I can’t say I’ve watched him enough at the NHL level to comment too much. I remember watching him prior to his draft and thinking he’d be a world beater. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

How long do they retain his RFA rights? If it’s similar to us with Tryamkin, Puljujarvi not playing for Edmonton holds a bit less weight. He either bends and comes back to Edmonton or stays in Europe for 4-5 years til free agency. Or a team offers up what Edmonton wants. Edmonton still has a good amount of bargaining power.

CapFriendly has him on the Oilers' reserve list and has them retaining his rights until his 27th year old birthday so May 2025.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like there’s a lot of RFAs that are gonna be sitting because they want top dollar. Should we question their character?

All Puljujarvi wants is a chance to prove himself, which i think it could be argued he hasn’t been given.

Its his career at stake after all. I don’t question his character any more than someone holding out for more money. If these guys don’t look after themselves no one else will.

Are you serious?

He has had every opportunity in Edmonton to succeed, playing the majority of his time with either McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his centermen.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Are you serious?

He has had every opportunity in Edmonton to succeed, playing the majority of his time with either McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his centermen.

Yeah. Poolparty (or his agent) demanded to play in the NHL, got time in the top-6 and couldn't do it. I don't think this is really on the Oilers.

I think the guy is just not very good. Top 5 picks bust all the time. I'm not sure why everyone gives Puljujarvi the benefit of the doubt as if he's some star being held back.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure it does. Even if it doesn't, it does from my perspective :lol:

For context, this is what we did with Palmu. Edmonton did mismanage this kid from the start, they misread his actual ability level, stick him on lousy lines, and yo-yo'd him between the NHL and AHL. 

Just look at the lines he was on: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/jesse-puljujarvi

When he was with McD he scored well. With RNH did OK. Otherwise train wreck. He needs quality line mates to be effective, not unlike many players (look at Loui e.g.) so I don't know what Edmonton was hoping for by putting him with Lucic and Strome. 

Hitchcock promoted him to the line with RNH-McDavid around mid-December saying that he liked his defensive game, and wanted him to take the next step and learn how to play with pace and who better to play with than the quicker players on the team.  Didn't work out.  Hitchcock sounded really invested saying that he wanted a hand in Puljujarvi's development and believed he could get him in the top-6 within a few weeks.  McLellan also lost patience - he wanted him to earn his way and not just gift him a spot.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Hitchcock promoted him to the line with RNH-McDavid around mid-December saying that he liked his defensive game, and wanted him to take the next step and learn how to play with pace and who better to play with than the quicker players on the team.  Didn't work out.  Hitchcock sounded really invested saying that he wanted a hand in Puljujarvi's development and believed he could get him in the top-6 within a few weeks.  McLellan also lost patience - he wanted him to earn his way and not just gift him a spot.

it couldn't have been much of a look, for Q3 he had 15 games and that line combo doesn't even show up in the Dobber info. He was also injured so that may have had a role as well. 

I do agree it looks like some of this might be on the kid, but it took 3 years for him to get to this point of wanting out. I don't know how you can look at how the Oilers managed this kid and not see mistakes. 

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Are you serious?

He rarely played with McDavid or Draisaitl. He did play with RNH, but Puljujarvi averaged 12 mins a night, so RNH played far more than Puljujarvi simply being a regular linemate of his. So he didn't have those "opportunities".

With that said, he's had over 130 games or so to "prove" himself. Perhaps he wants more ice time, but he has to earn it. It didn't help to have a coach suggesting that he was going to get him into the top 6 in a month right after being sent down. There seemed to be a lot of confusion and misdirection in regards to how he should be developed and it didn't help that he was misdiagnosed on a injury and had to seek a second opinion. I can see why he's frustrated with the organization, but he's not helping himself with his actions currently. He should request a trade, but keep playing until he is and show another team his "value". He's not making himself very tradable at the moment and the Oilers shouldn't feel pressured to make a deal either.

• Cheers 1

I wonder, if Puljujarvi is one dimensional, and Laine is one dimensional, how will Juolevi fair?

I never liked that pick. That Finnish team won gold and everyone jumped on them. 

Edited by Me_

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They literally have no wingers, they are playing 2 centerman on the wings (Draisaitl and Nuge) because their winger depth is so atrocious. Lol. If that's not having a chance I dunno what is.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I wonder, if Puljujarvi is one dimensional, and Laine is one dimensional, how will Juolevi fair?

I never liked that pick. That Finnish team won gold and everyone jumped on them. 

How about guys like Aho and Rantanen who were on the team as well that are very good players? Why does Juolevi get lumped into that group? I don't think any of those players really saw their stock rise that much from winning that gold from where they were previously ranked and Puljujarvi actually fell from his projected #3 spot.

Finland has been winning championships lately and are rightfully seen to be developing some real good talent. Some players simply don't pan out even players on dominant Canadian teams, but it's still too early to call anything on any of these guys.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He rarely played with McDavid or Draisaitl. He did play with RNH, but Puljujarvi averaged 12 mins a night, so RNH played far more than Puljujarvi simply being a regular linemate of his. So he didn't have those "opportunities".

With that said, he's had over 130 games or so to "prove" himself. Perhaps he wants more ice time, but he has to earn it. It didn't help to have a coach suggesting that he was going to get him into the top 6 in a month right after being sent down. There seemed to be a lot of confusion and misdirection in regards to how he should be developed and it didn't help that he was misdiagnosed on a injury and had to seek a second opinion. I can see why he's frustrated with the organization, but he's not helping himself with his actions currently. He should request a trade, but keep playing until he is and show another team his "value". He's not making himself very tradable at the moment and the Oilers shouldn't feel pressured to make a deal either.

2017: 

27.1 DRAISAITL,LEON - MAROON,PATRICK - PULJUJARVI,JESSE
19.7 LUCIC,MILAN - MCDAVID,CONNOR - PULJUJARVI,JESSE
11.7 CAGGIULA,DRAKE - POULIOT,BENOIT - PULJUJARVI,JESSE

2018: 

23.1 LUCIC,MILAN - MCDAVID,CONNOR - PULJUJARVI,JESSE
10.8 LUCIC,MILAN - PULJUJARVI,JESSE - STROME,RYAN
10.5 LUCIC,MILAN - NUGENT-HOPKINS,RYAN - PULJUJARVI,JESSE

2019:

15.2 KHAIRA,JUJHAR - NUGENT-HOPKINS,RYAN - PULJUJARVI,JESSE
9.8 LUCIC,MILAN - NUGENT-HOPKINS,RYAN - PULJUJARVI,JESSE
9.5 CAGGIULA,DRAKE - NUGENT-HOPKINS,RYAN - PULJUJARVI,JESSE

He also was a mainstay on the second power play unit, his first two years in the league. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

2017: 

2018: 

2019:

He also a mainstay on the second power play unit, his first two years in the league. 

He’s clearly a head case.  Wasn’t there an interview just posted where JP told His European coaches that he wasn’t accepted by his Oiler teammates?  

35 minutes ago, shiznak said:

2017: 

2018: 

2019:

He also was a mainstay on the second power play unit, his first two years in the league. 

Look at the breakdown by quarters though. The 2017-2018 season, he was tried with McDavid for a 20 game stretch and perhaps he got upped his shifts in that period, but the rest of the season, he rarely saw time with McDavid. I can't seem to pull up the quarterly breakdown from his 1st season, but I imagine it'll be somewhat similar. McDavid and Draisaitl log about 20 minutes a night or more. Puljujarvi got "3rd line" minutes (likely rightfully so). "Mainstay" on the 2nd PP unit, but it was under a minute a night average on the PP and not with the top players after they ate up the majority of the PP (McDavid and Draisaitl often playing the full PP).

Looking at it in the same way for someone else like Goldobin. You will see he played with EP and BB as the highest frequency, but we certainly know that wasn't the case. In the same breath, in comparison, Goldobin got to play with our top guys much more regularly than Puljujarvi did with theirs. Yet memory suggests that Goldobin was often benched and even scratched. Both guys need to step up their games, but you can see the Puljujarvi didn't really get tried often with McDavid and Draisaitl. RNH last season was actually being utilized more as a defensive center because they didn't have a legit one.

I'm not defending Puljujarvi here. I am simply stating that those that believe he was a regular with McDavid and/or Draisaitl need to think otherwise.

Holland on the Puljujarvi situation - just the main quotes.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jesse-puljujarvi-signs-contract-in-finland/c-308679582

"Am I talking to teams as we go? Yeah. I have a pretty clear thought in my own mind what I'd like if I was going to move him, philosophically how a deal would go down," Holland said. "I'm open to a couple of different ways. I've had some good talks, a couple of conversations with teams that have intrigued me, but ultimately, it's not quite there."

Holland said he was optimistic he and new coach Dave Tippett, who was hired May 28, could've helped Puljujarvi change his mind about leaving Edmonton.

"I was certainly hoping that coming here and being in charge, and with a new coach, and that we'd made some changes and Jesse would have maybe had a bit of a different thought about things given where he was at when the season was over," Holland said. "But nothing has really changed.

"I called [his agent] Markus Lehto [in late July] and talked to him at length, and he told us to feel free to call Jesse but that he had had multiple conversations with Jesse and said Jesse really feels strongly about his position. They, Jesse and Markus, the agent, they feel very strongly about wanting to move on."

Holland said he would not guarantee trading Puljujarvi by Dec. 1, adding he thinks it's a good thing he will be playing overseas.

"And I'm not worried about a time frame. We have until Nov. 30 for him to play hockey (in the NHL) this year. I think it's always tough for any player to miss all of NHL training camp, to be sitting around and just skating on your own, and then try to get up and running," Holland said. "For Jesse, when and if he comes back to the NHL in the '19-20 season, it's going to be easier to get up and running quicker if he's playing on a team and practicing every day and playing on a regular basis."

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Look at the breakdown by quarters though. The 2017-2018 season, he was tried with McDavid for a 20 game stretch and perhaps he got upped his shifts in that period, but the rest of the season, he rarely saw time with McDavid. I can't seem to pull up the quarterly breakdown from his 1st season, but I imagine it'll be somewhat similar. McDavid and Draisaitl log about 20 minutes a night or more. Puljujarvi got "3rd line" minutes (likely rightfully so). "Mainstay" on the 2nd PP unit, but it was under a minute a night average on the PP and not with the top players after they ate up the majority of the PP (McDavid and Draisaitl often playing the full PP).

Looking at it in the same way for someone else like Goldobin. You will see he played with EP and BB as the highest frequency, but we certainly know that wasn't the case. In the same breath, in comparison, Goldobin got to play with our top guys much more regularly than Puljujarvi did with theirs. Yet memory suggests that Goldobin was often benched and even scratched. Both guys need to step up their games, but you can see the Puljujarvi didn't really get tried often with McDavid and Draisaitl. RNH last season was actually being utilized more as a defensive center because they didn't have a legit one.

I'm not defending Puljujarvi here. I am simply stating that those that believe he was a regular with McDavid and/or Draisaitl need to think otherwise.

I wasn’t implying his regular linemates were McDavid and/or Draisaitl. I was simply implying his majority of his time in Edmonton he was paired with their top 3 centermen. Even if he had a few shifts per game with them. It’s not like he had Brodziak, Letestu, Desharnais etc as his centermen. Heck even Ryan Strome is a pretty offensive minded centermen to play with.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Holland on the Puljujarvi situation - just the main quotes.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jesse-puljujarvi-signs-contract-in-finland/c-308679582

"Am I talking to teams as we go? Yeah. I have a pretty clear thought in my own mind what I'd like if I was going to move him, philosophically how a deal would go down," Holland said. "I'm open to a couple of different ways. I've had some good talks, a couple of conversations with teams that have intrigued me, but ultimately, it's not quite there."

Holland said he was optimistic he and new coach Dave Tippett, who was hired May 28, could've helped Puljujarvi change his mind about leaving Edmonton.

"I was certainly hoping that coming here and being in charge, and with a new coach, and that we'd made some changes and Jesse would have maybe had a bit of a different thought about things given where he was at when the season was over," Holland said. "But nothing has really changed.

"I called [his agent] Markus Lehto [in late July] and talked to him at length, and he told us to feel free to call Jesse but that he had had multiple conversations with Jesse and said Jesse really feels strongly about his position. They, Jesse and Markus, the agent, they feel very strongly about wanting to move on."

Holland said he would not guarantee trading Puljujarvi by Dec. 1, adding he thinks it's a good thing he will be playing overseas.

"And I'm not worried about a time frame. We have until Nov. 30 for him to play hockey (in the NHL) this year. I think it's always tough for any player to miss all of NHL training camp, to be sitting around and just skating on your own, and then try to get up and running," Holland said. "For Jesse, when and if he comes back to the NHL in the '19-20 season, it's going to be easier to get up and running quicker if he's playing on a team and practicing every day and playing on a regular basis."

So it’s not the GM and not the coach.  And it appears JP has nothing against the city and the fans.  Hmmm.  Sure sounds like it’s the Oiler players, doesn’t it?  

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

And that Aho guy. What a loser. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So it’s not the GM and not the coach.  And it appears JP has nothing against the city and the fans.  Hmmm.  Sure sounds like it’s the Oiler players, doesn’t it?  

Nah.  It's the city. It's more like a small town than a city like Calgary or Vancouver. 

Couldn't deal with all the mosquitoes everywhere in the city.  Like lots of mosquitoes in the hotel lobby (3 star hotel).  Even a few in hotel room that managed to get to the 3rd floor (with windows not even opened).

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

These greedy young pukes can sit all year for all I care. Most of them have done very little in life but they each want 50 million dollars given to them.  I would laugh if a bunch of them sat.

The problem is a bunch of GMs want to keep their jobs so they will cave. It is too bad really.

• Wat 1