The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Goldobin, 1 year/900k

HerrDrFunk

I really like Goldy. Always have. Professional, reasonable, character guy. I can't help but pull for him.

I also love the work the Canucks have put into his development. I think there is a good understanding we would like a return on that investment asap - and he is trying hard to accomodate.

If nothing else, he can be a top 6 replacement. (Though frustrating as he is capable of so much more.)

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

he will not be on the 1st line, ferland will be .....guaranteed , and i feel hes used up all his chances, but guess we will see

Miller!

Baer long shot.  And look what it does for the 2knd line? Some beef! I wanna see Miller & Ferland on the same line

Baertschi Pettersson Boeser

Ferland  Horvat  Miller

Goldy Gaudette Pearson

Motte Beagle Jake

Leivo Schaller

Waived Loui Eriksson, Sutter (or someone) injured.

1 hour ago, Freeridebc said:

This could work very well.

I really like the idea of Bo and Goldy together. As long as Goldy is where he’s supposed to be, Bo can and will feed him the puck so he can shoot Ovi style. 

54 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I really like the idea of Bo and Goldy together. As long as Goldy is where he’s supposed to be, Bo can and will feed him the puck so he can shoot Ovi style. 

I think Bo and goldy got a bit of playing time together last year. Don't think Goldy meshed well but it was likely a small sample size. Also, I believe Goldy is more of the playmaker type than the shoot first finisher

1 hour ago, Stamkos said:

I was thinking more like, Bo is very versatile and JT is a play maker. Goldys finishing skills could round this line out nicely. Sort of the same as a Pete brock ferland line. A shooter a play maker, and a bull in a China shop.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I can't wait to see the twitter outrage when we paper down some of Pettersson, Hughes etc :lol:

They wouldn't be able to recall them.  

With LTIR in use, the available cap space for a recall also needs to cover the performance bonuses of the recalled player and not just his base salary.  Pettersson papered down is a 925K cap hit but his recall cap hit is 3.775M because of his potential performance bonuses.  

It caught Dallas last year.   

They had 12M in players out long term - Stephen Johns was out all season with a concussion, Methot's last game was 1 Nov and Hanzal's season ended in December.  Beat writer Sean Shapiro reported that with LTIR in use they weren't able to recall Guarianov because his cap hit with performance bonuses was some 1.6M vs 900K otherwise.  

They also have over 900K in performance bonus overage on their books this season (Heiskanen and Hintz).  LTIR doesn't really allow to bank cap space and often causes a bonus overage.  LTIR allows to get relief for the portion needed to become cap compliant but bonuses are paid at the end of the season so there's no relief created for them.

They would have to move someone anyway to create the cap space to re-activate Roussel.  If they need the space it's probably best to make a move now to avoid LTIR.   They can create space for the performance bonuses at the TDL but not sure it gives the right message to remove from the active roster especially if the team is looking to make the post-season.  

All depends at how much Boeser comes in at.  They need to have some room to cover short term injuries too.

Edited by mll

12 minutes ago, mll said:

They wouldn't be able to recall them.  

With LTIR in use, the available cap space for a recall also needs to cover the performance bonuses of the recalled player and not just his base salary.  Pettersson papered down is a 925K cap hit but his recall cap hit is 3.775M because of his potential performance bonuses.  

It caught Dallas last year.   

They had 12M in players out long term - Stephen Johns was out all season with a concussion, Methot's last game was 1 Nov and Hanzal's season ended in December.  Beat writer Sean Shapiro reported that with LTIR in use they weren't able to recall Guarianov because his cap hit with performance bonuses was some 1.6M vs 900K otherwise.  

They also have over 900K in performance bonus overage on their books this season (Heiskanen and Hintz).  LTIR doesn't really allow to bank cap space and often causes a bonus overage.  LTIR allows to get relief for the portion needed to become cap compliant but bonuses are paid at the end of the season so there's no relief created for them.

They would have to move someone anyway to create the cap space to re-activate Roussel.  If they need the space it's probably best to make a move now to avoid LTIR.   They can create space for the performance bonuses at the TDL but not sure it gives the right message to remove from the active roster especially if the team is looking to make the post-season.  

All depends at how much Boeser comes in at.  They need to have some room to cover short term injuries too.

I’m thinking that your sarcasm detector is broken. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The idea that this is a 'discount' is laughable. Fair deal for both sides.

We get him at a number that takes him off our cap in the event he gets sent down, and Goldy gets good value on his potential. He hasn't proven very much, I'd be surprised if he didn't pass through waivers honestly. 

I'm hoping he can prove everyone writing him off (like me) wrong, but he's going to have to blow the doors off. His defense & all that stuff doesn't even matter as much. He has to produce, its that simple. He was gifted top 6 time when he played & finished the season with less goals than Tyler Motte. He's not going to be gifted time anymore.

I hope he took his offseason training as serious as ever & is prepared to bring it consistently. He's got the talent to be a decent player. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The idea that this is a 'discount' is laughable. Fair deal for both sides.

We get him at a number that takes him off our cap in the event he gets sent down, and Goldy gets good value on his potential. He hasn't proven very much, I'd be surprised if he didn't pass through waivers honestly. 

I'm hoping he can prove everyone writing him off (like me) wrong, but he's going to have to blow the doors off. His defense & all that stuff doesn't even matter as much. He has to produce, its that simple. He was gifted top 6 time when he played & finished the season with less goals than Tyler Motte. He's not going to be gifted time anymore.

I hope he took his offseason training as serious as ever & is prepared to bring it consistently. He's got the talent to be a decent player. 

Edmonton would definitely claim him if he got waived.

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Don't think they'd rather give the offensive opportunities to younger players like Benson & Yamamoto?

Holland likes to let his guys stay in the AHL longer.  Part of the reason they're in this mess is rushing guys.  Getting a guy with upside on a cheap contract, while allowing some of their prospects to mature in the AHL would definitely interest Edmonton.