The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He doesn't bring anything other players in the system already bring. Want a offensive minded d-man that is weak defensively. That's Hughes. He isn't better than Edler and doesn't fill that bottom pair spot better than Benn. On the right side we have Tanev and Stecher and that's it. So no, Gardiner and Benn is not better than Myers and Benn. And we had to pay more to get Myers cause teams actually wanted him. You have to be awfully ignorant to think that the market isn't dictated by supply and demand. Lots of teams wanted Myers, cause he's flat out better and more useful than Gardiner. Feel free to cry about money you aren't spending though.

If that's the truth regarding Gardiner, what then does Myers bring to the team that we didn't already have?  His height?  Again, this myth that right-handed defenders are somehow more important because they shoot right is not a valid reason to overpay for somebody.

There were teams interested in Myers; there were NOT teams interested in giving Myers the term and cash that we gave him.  Your statement would be like saying the Florida Panthers HAD to give Bobrovsky $10 AAV because other teams were interested.

Supply and demand plays a part in any transactional world but it plays less of a role in this one than you and others seem to think it does.  If demand was as high as you believe it to be, he would have went elsewhere.

For me, Myers > Gardiner but we clearly jumped the gun when we didn't need to.  Today's signing is evidence of that and there is nothing wrong with pointing this out.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This is a great signing for the Canes.

The posters ITT who keep saying it's not a good addition need to lay off the BC bud.  50pt D for 4 milli.  Nice signing

No one is saying he doesn't put up points.  The problem is that the play in his own end is so bad that he's still a complete liability out there.    4 million for a defenseman who can't play defense at the NHL level is brutal.  Gardiner is absolute trash.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Could be.

I wonder if Winnipeg will make a pitch for Faulk? they could sure use him.

For us we'd have to clear too much cap space, unless they wanted to do something nutty like take Sutter + prospects for him. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry but i don't see how anyone who makes a tweet like this can be considered a real Canucks fan. 

Tools like the turd that made that post clearly equate being a Canucks fan with being a misanthropic, whiny waste of flesh. Sadly, in this day and age, social media gives these stains a voice.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Nah, I am perfectly valuing Pod. He's a stud. From what I hear all the Duncan Keith's are in the 2nd round anyway. B) With that said Slavin and Pesce were drafted in the 4th and 3rd rounds respectively.

I am indeed pretty high on Pod. I think when Pod does reach his potential he'll be worth more than Pesce and Slavin. He's got all the tools to be a top 10 player in this league if he can put it all together. Slavin and Pesce are good but I wouldn't move Pod for either of them. His potential is just too damn high.

I love Pod too. Spend hours reading about him or watching vids of him. Easily my favourite Canucks prospect. But Pod is unproven at this point. He wouldn't even get you a sniff of a stud Dman like Slavin. Hes only 25 signed long term to an unbelievably team friendly contract. 

Waddell would not trade Slavin. He's the rock on Canes' exceptional defense. Especially not for a prospect who is years away from being a difference maker. Canes are trying to make a deep playoff run. They're not rebuilding. Even if they were rebuilding Slavin is 25 Pesce is 24. Both very young. 

Canucks would need to start with Boeser if JB made a legit offer for Slavin. Even that won't get it done.

He's a stud top pair Dman at 25yrs old. Signed for 6 more yrs @ 5.3 mill cap hit. Those types of dmen don't come available for trades often. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

In all honesty, this may be a good move by Jake Gardiner. By getting away from the harsh, bright lights of the Toronto media, he may be able to relax and cut down on his miscues. Just take a look at what happened to Phaneuf after he was traded by the Leafs...ok, maybe not a great example. But hey, there's Phil Kessel's name on Lord Stanley's Cup.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

This is a great signing for the Canes.

The posters ITT who keep saying it's not a good addition need to lay off the BC bud.  50pt D for 4 milli.  Nice signing

Ya the Canes must be happy they acted quickly before he got eaten up by..........who ever:sadno:

It's a great deal for the Canes, anyone who is complaining about the Myers contract is not being very bright or being willingly obtuse. His deal was fair. Gardiner probably left a lot on the table in other offers that he could have got around July 1st and went with the best deal he could get at this late date.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

If the goal is to lose to Boston in game 7 again, I agree Gardiner and Benn would be the better duo.

Ya take your chances I bet Gardner wanted stupid money July 1st and I disagree Gardner is much better the Myers. Myers ihas an offensive side to him and with Hughs that works for us but Gardner has no physical presence at all and Myers does, not saying he plays a extremelly physical game but he's more physicality then Gardner., I think Myers ages better then Gardner

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

He doesn't bring anything other players in the system already bring. Want a offensive minded d-man that is weak defensively. That's Hughes. He isn't better than Edler and doesn't fill that bottom pair spot better than Benn. On the right side we have Tanev and Stecher and that's it. So no, Gardiner and Benn is not better than Myers and Benn. And we had to pay more to get Myers cause teams actually wanted him. You have to be awfully ignorant to think that the market isn't dictated by supply and demand. Lots of teams wanted Myers, cause he's flat out better and more useful than Gardiner. Feel free to cry about money you aren't spending though.

A voice of reason thank you

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry but i don't see how anyone who makes a tweet like this can be considered a real Canucks fan. 

if you disagree with Trudeau, are you no longer a real canadian? if you disagree with the way your boss runs things, are you no longer a committed employee?

the answer to the above is no. 

• Upvote 2