The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disturbing Lack Of Under 21's In The Development System

ItTakesAnArmy

With the way it's going with the players earning skyrocketing .one player being paid huge amounts, there is a chance they can't have a full team of high caliber players .

I do not think there are too many players that are worth 12.5 like McDavid and that high a salary hampers his team,but the NHL is strange, some leagues share the wealth and there are some leagues that you can just buy winners.

But I love this game and to have my home team win their first STANLEY CUP would be a mind-blower.Lets try and keep it fair though, shall we,

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I would rather pay McDavid 12.5, mil then Auston Matthews @ 11.6 mil. But I agree with you I rather have Bess and Bo @ their cost

And Matthews is a UFA at the end of his contract.  Marner's contract is crazy too.  Oh and so is Tavares'.  And Nylander's is bad.  Can a team win the Cup with such a top heavy cap?  

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2019 at 6:01 PM, canuktravella said:

maybe your clueless but  18-19 yr olds we draft are playing in ohl whl college and i  europe  then  come up to utica or nhl so rathbone madden lockwood  utonen hoglander podzolkin keppen dipietro  focht manukan woo  thats 11  decent prospects not on utica yet 

Boom.... nice one +1

I think this has already been mentioned but considering junior players can't play regularly in the AHL until they're 20-years old, I would think most organizations don't have a ton of under 21-year olds immediately available to play for the NHL clubs on call-ups from the AHL.

Factor in internationals and college players and this seems like a non-issue, no?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And Matthews is a UFA at the end of his contract.  Marner's contract is crazy too.  Oh and so is Tavares'.  And Nylander's is bad.  Can a team win the Cup with such a top heavy cap?  

Its Toronto?, I think defense and goalies win Stanly Cups myself so if they want to win they need to unload one of those top heavy guys for some better Defense

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

can you enlighten us as to when or who we traded a first overall for?

To be fair:

Canucks traded 1st overall to ATL (selected Patrik Stefan) for the 2nd overall pick (selected Daniel Sedin) and a conditional pick.  But that was back in 1999.

:)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Yes I am aware but I think op meant more recently and who doesn't make that trade 100 times out of 100?

Lol.

I'm just being a smart***.

As for the OP...I think he may have an intense dislike for JB. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:30 AM, MikeBossy said:

Perhaps they were quoting this article....

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

LA ranks 2nd but we rank 4th. 

I for one am quite happy where we sit.

No $hit. In an arbitrary opinion based ranking we are 4th out of 31.  Could be 7th, could be 1st.  Pretty damn sweet position I'd say.  Team is being lead by young players and many more coming.  Wtf are these people whining about?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Name one person who has been in the Utica program and has made the jump to the NHL?

How about you do your own research, you might become a fan, rather than a misinformed critic.

Edited by gurn
needed a second comma

17 minutes ago, the grinder said:

no we didn't the canucks had the third pick oa    atl was number one oa

Um.  Check your facts please.  I sure did before posting.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/2775878/how-brian-burkes-dealmaking-brought-the-sedins-to-the-vancouver-canucks/amp/

The Canucks made a final deal to ensure they could call up the Sedins to the stage at the same time. They sent the first overall pick to the Atlanta Thrashers, who promised to select Patrik Stefan, leaving the Canucks to pick Daniel and Henrik with the second and third picks.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Um.  Check your facts please.  I sure did before posting.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/2775878/how-brian-burkes-dealmaking-brought-the-sedins-to-the-vancouver-canucks/amp/

The Canucks made a final deal to ensure they could call up the Sedins to the stage at the same time. They sent the first overall pick to the Atlanta Thrashers, who promised to select Patrik Stefan, leaving the Canucks to pick Daniel and Henrik with the second and third picks.

well we still were 3rd overall . we traded for first overall   , so check your facts  

29 minutes ago, the grinder said:

well we still were 3rd overall . we traded for first overall   , so check your facts  

Yes you are correct, we did have 3rd OVA.

All I posted was that we traded the 1st OVA to ATL for the 2nd OVA. 

I never stated that we won the lottery and was originally granted the 1st OVA.

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

no we didn't the canucks had the third pick oa    atl was number one oa