The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make Canada What again?

Warhippy

7 hours ago, Violator said:

We should honestly look at letting more than one million people emigrate to Canada every year.

Going to have to fix our already lack of housing and schools first before we can get that many people here.  We already have classrooms stuffed to the max with more schools constantly bringing in portables just to get kids in school and that doesn't even start the housing shortage we have.  If the governments expand and start building many more schools throughout all the cities from Van to Hope plus more teachers since we got such a lack already plus everywhere else in Canada then we can bring in more people.  For now theres no where to fit extra kids.  Same idea with homes, anywhere that has work available already has a lack of housing, both rental and owning availability are next to nothing.  Only homes available are towns that have next to no work.  Once the governement invests  and fixes those problems then we can have an influx of immigrants.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Going to have to fix our already lack of housing and schools first before we can get that many people here.  We already have classrooms stuffed to the max with more schools constantly bringing in portables just to get kids in school and that doesn't even start the housing shortage we have.  If the governments expand and start building many more schools throughout all the cities from Van to Hope plus more teachers since we got such a lack already plus everywhere else in Canada then we can bring in more people.  For now theres no where to fit extra kids.  Same idea with homes, anywhere that has work available already has a lack of housing, both rental and owning availability are next to nothing.  Only homes available are towns that have next to no work.  Once the governement invests  and fixes those problems then we can have an influx of immigrants.

I think we need an influx in order to keep a lot of towns from being ghost towns.to bad our infastructure outside of major centres is less than third world.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Nice pun. Scheer was awful but Trudeau is worse. Politicians of all parties have failed this country for 40+ years, really awful for 12-15 years. 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, aGENT said:

As for the the 'problem' in the OP, I'd suggest individuals are the problem.

We ('royal' we) are generally ignorant and shortsighted. We vote against our best interests, shop against our best interests and hence let the governments and businesses managing those things act against our best interests in everything from taxes, debt, government programs etc to our food/agriculture, jobs, the environment etc.

All because we're too stupid and/or shortsighted to do the right things, and in turn, demand them from our governments and the companies we do business with/purchase from. All the worse if you can actually more readily afford to do those 'right things' consistently.

We're the reason for and the solution to, the race to the bottom, the environment, better health, lower debt etc, etc, etc.

Get informed and be the change you wish to see.

People have failed this country. Politicians are just greasy cogs in the machine. Ones we put there.

1 hour ago, Violator said:

I think we need an influx in order to keep a lot of towns from being ghost towns.to bad our infastructure outside of major centres is less than third world.

Completely agree but first you need the government to find ways to get companies to open up in those towns.  Outside of the lower mainland we got what Kamloops/Kelowna/Okanagan doing well, but so many of those towns on the way towards them or past them are just small logging towns for the most part.  Need incentives for corporations to open in smaller communities to grow. Almost like how we just gave Mastercard 50mill to open in Canada, should have been encouraged to open in say a Merritt/Vernon or some smaller community, get people working there to grow buisnesses and get the population to grow.  We already got enough corporations stuffed into Vancouver where the population is already dense for the livability, yea with Mastercard opening there how many more jobs are going to be needed and theres already less than a 1% available rental rate, etc.  Get those companies to open somewhere not in the major metropolitans and try and get people into the country into places that still have room to grow.

Simple but not so simple way to improve Canada is more urban centers. TO, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and more importantly the surrounding areas, suburbs are too concentrated. 

In the Amazon delivery, internet movie theater age we don't really need to be so close like we did in the past.  

The cold robotic logical way of solving this problem would be to "force" population growth in the least desirable places first and work backwards. Force population growth by pouring the maximum capital to the least desirable places first.

#1 Create a "Marijuana" city.  Middle on the country, Saskatchewan. Research centers, Universities, pharmaceuticals, etc.... 

c-g41mc-eng.gif

Edited by Canada Hockey Place
  • Cheers 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:17 AM, khay said:

So you are saying, we help them get trained using national resources (universities are funded by the government), only to have them return back to their countries? Why don't we keep them here, so they can use their newly gained knowledge to help Canada? Seems like a waste!

This visitor idea works in the US. They have visitor visas for up to 5 years (called J1 visa). A country like US can do this because literally everyone in the world wants to come to the US to experience the top of the line education and state-of-the-art industries. These visitors help to stimulate US economy and because there are always people wanting to visit, US can afford to send them back. In fact, they have a rule stating that if you were on J1 visa, you must return back to your country for 2 years before coming back to US on another visitor visa such as J1. 

Do you know how much international students have to pay to attend university here? The US has it right, Canada is also a very desirable destination for internationals.  

On 2/9/2020 at 6:54 AM, Russ said:

That's part of it. "Canadians aren't having enough kids!" No kidding. Have you seen the &^@#ing price of things in this country? How can you have a family and be fiscally responsible at the same time in this country. The vast majority of my friends are in this boat and we're all ~30. Their parents including mine were all younger and had families already three decades ago. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That's part of it. "Canadians aren't having enough kids!" No kidding. Have you seen the &^@#ing price of things in this country? How can you have a family and be fiscally responsible at the same time in this country. The vast majority of my friends are in this boat and we're all ~30. Their parents including mine were all younger and had families already three decades ago. 

That was us and almost all of our friends.  We are all around 30 or a bit older and all of us are starting families now just because it took a long time to get ready for the financial burden of not only taking a year off work to care for the kids, but finding daycare costs/stable jobs/etc. plus all of lifes general costs.  

29 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Do you know how much international students have to pay to attend university here? The US has it right, Canada is also a very desirable destination for internationals.  

I do. About twice what we pay/paid. If it's UBC, that's maybe $8000 per term? It is still not very much. Also, I'm more talking about grad students. Master students pay the same tuition as the locals but still are eligible to receive salary through TA/RA. Doctoral degree students have tuition waived for 4 years.

I'd prefer the grad students that come here to study, to stay rather than leave. As for the undergrads, Canada should make it easier for them to stay if they want to stay.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I do. About twice what we pay/paid. If it's UBC, that's maybe $8000 per term? It is still not very much. Also, I'm more talking about grad students. Master students pay the same tuition as the locals but still are eligible to receive salary through TA/RA. Doctoral degree students have tuition waived for 4 years.

I'd prefer the grad students that come here to study, to stay rather than leave. As for the undergrads, Canada should make it easier for them to stay if they want to stay.

I was in town on the weekend and my taxi driver in from the airport told me he drives 12 hours per day x 7 days a week. He has 3 kids who have all graduated UBC with degrees. Proud father. He says anyone who says there is no work don't know what they are talking about or are simply lazy. Great guy to talk to with a real positive attitude. So much more opportunity in Canada versus India.  

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was in town on the weekend and my taxi driver in from the airport told me he drives 12 hours per day x 7 days a week. He has 3 kids who have all graduated UBC with degrees. Proud father. He says anyone who says there is no work don't know what they are talking about or are simply lazy. Great guy to talk to with a real positive attitude. So much more opportunity in Canada versus India.  

Lots of jobs out there you just have to be willing to work hard for them.  Problem is TONS of people want 9-5 jobs indoors in perfect working conditions and I laugh at that.  I had someone trash talking me recently when I said people are lazy and theres work out there and they told me there wasn't.  I went on a hiring website and looked up labourers, found multiple posts paying $4-5 over minimum wage to start with companies including my work that starts labourers over $20/h, and I was told "yea but not everyone wants to do labour work".  Honestly, theres virtually no requirements to labour work, the biggest one is if you can lift up to 50 lbs which the average person can easily do and many times its less than a foot you have to carry stuff like that because companies provide wheel barrows,etc.  Wow thats for proving my point with the lazyness.... not everything is roses and rainbows, you have to work hard and it may not be your ideal dream job or your ideal working conditions but you make it work until you can get to that stage.  

That man was true, does working 12x7 make life ideal? No but just like him, I will do whats best for my family to help them out best I can, if I have to I will switch my work shifts from days to afternoons/graveyards if I have to.  Not ideal but thats life, I give complete kudos to that driver for doing what he needs to do.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Russ said:

Lots of jobs out there you just have to be willing to work hard for them.  Problem is TONS of people want 9-5 jobs indoors in perfect working conditions and I laugh at that.  I had someone trash talking me recently when I said people are lazy and theres work out there and they told me there wasn't.  I went on a hiring website and looked up labourers, found multiple posts paying $4-5 over minimum wage to start with companies including my work that starts labourers over $20/h, and I was told "yea but not everyone wants to do labour work".  Honestly, theres virtually no requirements to labour work, the biggest one is if you can lift up to 50 lbs which the average person can easily do and many times its less than a foot you have to carry stuff like that because companies provide wheel barrows,etc.  Wow thats for proving my point with the lazyness.... not everything is roses and rainbows, you have to work hard and it may not be your ideal dream job or your ideal working conditions but you make it work until you can get to that stage.  

That man was true, does working 12x7 make life ideal? No but just like him, I will do whats best for my family to help them out best I can, if I have to I will switch my work shifts from days to afternoons/graveyards if I have to.  Not ideal but thats life, I give complete kudos to that driver for doing what he needs to do.

Reminds me of an interview at Tent City several years ago.

The reporter was interviewing a young female adult (early 20s) and was asked why she couldn't find a job (or a question similar to that).  Her response was "Why should she if she can collect welfare?"  It's the entitlement attitude that is what wrong with some of the younger generation.  Sorry but your not entitled to free money, free housing, free everything if you chose to sit on your arse and not do anything to improve your situation.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

The reporter was interviewing a young female adult (early 20s) and was asked why she couldn't find a job (or a question similar to that).  Her response was "Why should she if she can collect welfare?"  It's the entitlement attitude that is what wrong with some of the younger generation.  Sorry but your not entitled to free money, free housing, free everything if you chose to sit on your arse and not do anything to improve your situation.

The number of people like her is small. They just generate noise. Most people want to work, earn a living, have motivation and pride. Yes, there are some that don't, but we shouldn't base policy on outliers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

sounds like a drug addict mentality to me... why work when I can scrape the bottom of the barrel and score 'free' drugs with my welfare cheque and live in tent city rent-free 

5 minutes ago, inane said:

The number of people like her is small. They just generate noise. Most people want to work, earn a living, have motivation and pride. Yes, there are some that don't, but we shouldn't base policy on outliers. 

That's why I said some and not all.  It just irked me that someone so young was audacious enough to plainly say she just wanted free money.  I've been working since I was 14yrs old.  Held onto 2 jobs for a couple of years (even 3 jobs one summer) until I got a good paying job.  Never collected EI or UI (whatever its called nowadays).  Hard work is what my father instilled into me.  Something I intend to pass onto my children.  Work hard and get a good job. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

That's why I said some and not all.  It just irked me that someone so young was audacious enough to plainly say she just wanted free money.  I've been working since I was 14yrs old.  Held onto 2 jobs for a couple of years (even 3 jobs one summer) until I got a good paying job.  Never collected EI or UI (whatever its called nowadays).  Hard work is what my father instilled into me.  Something I intend to pass onto my children.  Work hard and get a good job. 

When I started many years ago the expectation was always that you started out at the bottom and worked your way up. Summer jobs picking fruit then throwing hay. I had my first year of university saved up before I graduated grade 12. Paid jobs like that were gravy because I also had the home chores. It was actually my mother who drilled the hard work ethic into me. My parents grew up in the '30s and never took anything for granted.