The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

Do you think that was the view on Hossa with the Blackhawks?

Also miller is 2 years older than horvat

Alf, no offense bud, you really need to do a little digging for info

The Hawks young core was ready to compete when they signed Hossa.  They were in their 3rd to 5th years already. Petey is in year two, and Huggy is in year one.  And we don’t have a third guy yet (Podkolzin? Rathbone? the first we gave up this year for Miller?)

I love Bo, but IMO he’s a support player.  

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean if Ferly is donezo and JB can find a taker for Eriksson big iff's for sure but i imagine JB and CO considers the next 3 steps before taking the first. I see no reason Toffy can't be a sweet part of our future here. 

After this season LE doesn't have to be moved he can just retire and spare us all

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

we'll see

he may have better offense

but pearson is a really good 2 way player

and plays a resaonably heavy game

i think toffoli is slightly less well rounded

but we can revisit that when he has played 10 or 15 games for us

Ya I'm sure we'll revisit it many times by end of season. Im sure there will be lots of posts comparing the two.

I watch a lot of out of market hockey. You could tell from my posts I'm watching at least a couple of games everyday.  

I dont know how Toffoli will adjust to the team or how long that adjustment period is. I think Pearsson took about 10 games? I know he fished the season strong. Played about 20 games with us last season. 

But Toffoli has always been the better out of those two. 

Just look at their last contracts. Both signed starting 17/18. Both played in LA.

Both were same age. , only couple of months apart..Pearson is 1inch taller but Toffoli is 12 lbs heavier.. 

Toffoli        3yrs @ 4.70 mill per year

Pearsson  4yrs @ 3.75 mill per year

And Pearson had to give up a UFA year but still got 1 mill per year less. That right there tells you who's better. Particularly because they were same age same team same line. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fifty years of watching our team trade away futures in hopes of just making the playoffs makes some fans a bit jaded I guess.  We finally have two young phenoms at the same time and in the two most important positions for building a cup contender around, and our owner (with JB’s doing) loses patience.  Why not wait for our young core to mature to where they are ready to compete for Cups before trading away for support players and signing expensive UFAs?  

I'm curious. What are the indications of a team maturing

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

but it is more then that really

there are very positive things happening right now

if you choose to look

and appreciate them

continually looking at things through darkened lenses

means you'll miss this nice upswing

i agree for sure. the team that Benning inherited, and the team that is now before us, is light and day difference. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya I'm sure we'll revisit it many times by end of season. Im sure there will be lots of posts comparing the two.

I watch a lot of out of market hockey. You could tell from my posts I'm watching at least a couple of games everyday.  

I dont know how Toffoli will adjust to the team or how long that adjustment period is. I think Pearsson took about 10 games? I know he fished the season strong. Played about 20 games with us last season. 

But Toffoli has always been the better out of those two. 

Just look at their last contracts. Both signed starting 17/18. Both played in LA.

Both were same age. , only couple of months apart..Pearson is 1inch taller but Toffoli is 12 lbs heavier.. 

Toffoli        3yrs @ 4.70 mill per year

Pearsson  4yrs @ 3.75 mill per year

And Pearson had to give up a UFA year but still got 1 mill per year less. That right there tells you who's better. Particularly because they were same age same team same line. 

i will be most happy if you are correct

not a bad thing if he is better then pearson

let's see how he does in the nuck system of play

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm curious. What are the indications of a team maturing

Physically and emotionally getting strong enough to lead their support players to championships.  Look how long it took the Twins to get there.  Some guys get there sooner, but mostly it’s in the early 20’s (22,23) for truly top players.  Even JB said Cups are won by teams with guys leading the charge who are 26 on average.  Why he’s going all in over this last year is strange, considering our two key players are 20 and 21, and still maturing physically and emotionally.  

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fifty years of watching our team trade away futures in hopes of just making the playoffs makes some fans a bit jaded I guess.  We finally have two young phenoms at the same time and in the two most important positions for building a cup contender around, and our owner (with JB’s doing) loses patience.  Why not wait for our young core to mature to where they are ready to compete for Cups before trading away for support players and signing expensive UFAs?  

Think of what playoff intensity would teach this team. They havent been to the playoffs in nearly 5 years. Although it hurts to lose madden. We still have an extremely good prospect pool. I would have lost it, if we traded Podz, Hog or Demko. We still need some muscle though. I really feel like we arent done, at least on the defensive side. 

Edited by KKnight

Hockeyman Benning does a hockey trade.

I feel we just got another Miller-type player. 

I mean:

JT Miller - 26yrs old - 6’1” - 218lbs

Regular season

494GP - 117G - 177A - 294 Pts

Playoffs

61GP - 3G - 23A - 26Pts

Tyler Toffoli - 27yrs old - 6’0” - 197lbs
Regular season

515GP - 139G - 151A - 290Pts

Playoffs

47GP - 9G - 12A - 21Pts

...I mean...

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I suggested acquiring him, in the proposals section, earlier this year...... Only if he could be had cheap.

Guess we'll see see if the end justifies the means.

Putting aside the cost; one must be happy about the addition 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Great 8 said:

So we traded a former 3rd rounder and a 2nd round pick for a top 6 rental. Not bad but if he re signs it would be a huge deal. Coleman got a first and he is a 3rd liner who’s having an average year. JB got better value than Tampa that’s for sure

I mean. Coleman is having a similar year point wise to Toffoli and has one more year at 1.8mil. But overall I agree we got a far more proven player for much cheaper. I am not saying Toffoli will leave for sure but him being a UFA likely got us a better deal than Tampa paid for Coleman. Even with that said I wouldn't have done more than Foote or our 1st rounder for Coleman. Lol. Not both.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Physically and emotionally getting strong enough to lead their support players to championships.  Look how long it took the Twins to get there.  Some guys get there sooner, but mostly it’s in the early 20’s (22,23) for truly top players.  Even JB said Cups are won by teams with guys leading the charge who are 26 on average.  Why he’s going all in over this last year is strange, considering our two key players are 20 and 21, and still maturing physically and emotionally.  

Creating a winning environment and actually playing meaningful hockey is how teams mature, grow, and learn to overcome hurdles and that’s a fact. That’s Exactly what they are doing right now as they are playing meaningful hockey for the first time in half a decade. FFS man have some optimism for once. 

• Upvote 2