The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Ristolainen is an even this year after managing his minutes better instead of throwing him out every 2nd shift. Yet still leads his team for ice time per game by over 3 minutes a night still likely facing the tough competition. If Stecher is holding you back from wanting Ristolainen, then you're never going to be building a winning squad.

I just don't like how he plays in his own end.  Open to moving Stecher, just don't like the proposed return.

Edited by King Heffy

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB just better not sign any more bad ones.  We have some really good young players coming along.  We want to sign them.  

Completely agree I don’t want the Canucks to spend much more than 1 million on 4th liners, guys like Motte, MacEwen, Bailey etc. then we can really stack up our D and other lines. We will need to find a good face-off guy to replace Beagle and Sutter but we should look for good value. 

Stecher is possibly / probably, nah, just possibly expendable in summer.

My own take is it would be odd to trade him now! Call up Rafffery?  

Rafferty is a completely different player. An offensive player. True, Stecher has never realized that upside. Which many felt was within? If we wanted offensive upside, sure move Troy Stecher now.

But Stecher is also a battler, plays hard minutes. Take a look at our left side? We were able to sign Fantenburg, and suddenly Benn, also signed, is expendable. Sat, what 15 straight games? Nobody has supplanted Stecher on the right side. Nobody. We dont have that depth. Even though he is not a 30 point D man? He will be harder to replace than people realize! 

Key, add to it Tanev is UFA at the end of the year. My instinct is Tanev bargains hard & has an agenda in negotiations. He has that right, but has excercised it in the past. And is our true ''hardest minutes'' D man. I suppose we could go looking on the market for another. But useful RHD are hard to secure. Could take some of the sting of losing Tanev away. I believe we need Stecher for depth.

I hate trading players before a solution is in place!

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Gaudette is a piece going out,  it had better be a younger D with term coming in.

Severson

Simmonds

for 

Gaudette

Baertschi

Juolevi

NJD doesn’t have to trade Simmonds to the Canucks.  As Fitzgerald was explaining it’s his choice to do what he wants as it’s their players.  If the Canucks want Simmonds they’ll have to pay the price that NJD is asking. 

Doubt it would be Gaudette.  Zacha is not going anywhere and they still have Zajac for another year.  Also Gaudette is being sheltered and NJD is more likely to shelter Hughes.  Not really viable to have 2 lines that need protection from matchups.

Edited by mll

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

Agreed... Stecher has been playing top 4 minutes for 3rd pairing dollars.  Qualifying him isn’t expensive and is a good back up plan in case we can’t afford Tanev or a suitable replacement in the summer.

He's averaged 15 mins a night this season (some games in top 4 min territory, but balanced with some 12 min or less nights this year) slightly below Benn and Fantenberg. On a cap crunched team, Stecher is too expensive for his role.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

He's averaged 15 mins a night this season (some games in top 4 min territory, but balanced with some 12 min or less nights this year) slightly below Benn and Fantenberg. On a cap crunched team, Stecher is too expensive for his role.

If we trade Stecher now, would Rafferty be the guy coming up? 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD doesn’t have to trade Simmonds to the Canucks.  As Fitzgerald was explaining it’s his choice to do what he wants as it’s their players.  If the Canucks want Simmonds they’ll have to pay the price that NJD is asking. 

Doubt it would be Gaudette.  Zacha is not going anywhere and they still have Zajac for another year.  Also Gaudette is being sheltered and NJD is more likely to shelter Hughes.  Not really viable to have 2 lines that need protection from matchups.

Just heard Elliot Friedman troll us.  He said if the Canucks want Simmonds it’s going to cost Juiolevi.  

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Makes sense. Trade him to recoup some picks... hopefully a 2nd. Bring up  Rafferty and then sign Tram when his team is done.

defo no second for him.  i like him, but his tools are limited.  okay 6,7 guy

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Just heard Elliot Friedman troll us.  He said if the Canucks want Simmonds it’s going to cost Juiolevi.  

NJD is undecided on trading Simmonds per LeBrun.  Sounds like the return will have be worth it or they’ll just keep him.  It’s not the Canucks that have the upper hand in the trade - they are the ones who want to bring in toughness.  NJD doesn’t have to do anything.