The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Vancouver at Risk of Bankruptcy

nucklehead

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-city-of-vancouver-at-risk-of-bankruptcy-says-mayor/ar-BB12wQHg?ocid=spartanntp

The City of Vancouver is at risk of going bankrupt, says the mayor, citing a recent poll showing more than half of property owners are not expecting to pay full property taxes this year as COVID-19 financial woes take hold.

In a press release issued on Sunday afternoon, Mayor Kennedy Stewart said his earlier claim that the city would lose up to $189 million in revenue and fee shortfalls in 2020 could be $325 million short of the mark. The city has already laid off 1,500 workers.

“If 25 per cent of homeowners do end up defaulting on their property taxes, we could shed up to an additional $325 million in revenues,” Stewart said. “Losing more than half-a-billion dollars in operating funds in 2020 would devastate the city’s financial position, forcing us to liquify assets and exhaust every reserve fund we have — just to avoid insolvency.”

The "benefits" of having a city comprised of empty beds I guess.

Vancouver's status as a world class city has always been based more on climate and amenities than economic substance.

That said, I expect this from a number of larger municipalities as this progresses

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nucklehead said:

Every city will have the same issues..

Every country is going deeper in debt with Covid -19...Every country was in serious debt even before Covid 19..

False economy for over 20 years, they just keep printing money?

Just keep safe and try and stay positive..

Talk about bright future of the Vancouver Canucks...

Edited by wildcam
  • Huggy Bear 1

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Vancouver makes a case for more free money. Shouldn't be a problem as the Feds can run the money presses for an extra 5 minutes. What happens when the Feds start buying up the defaulted mortgages which are inevitable?

very good question. I'm wondering if we're going to see something like CMHC pick up all the defaults, allow people to stay in their homes, and then hand them back new 40 year amortized mortgages. I don't see how people are going to make it out of this without previously unthinkable things like that. 

• Like 1

The city owns about 6 bil in land as I remember a couple years ago. Though I don't know the value in these crazy times.  The article states 7.9 bil in total assets.

Sell a whole bunch of that, at a discount, to developers that have to build low income housing. 

Edited by bishopshodan

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The city owns about 6 bil in land as I remember a couple years ago. Though I don't know the value in these crazy times.  The article states 7.9 bil in total assets.

Sell a whole bunch of that, at a discount, to developers that have to build low income housing. 

Low income housing is not where the money is at.

Selling over priced over rated shoe box apartments in Vancouver is how you make money.

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The article states 7.9 bil in total assets.

Sell a whole bunch of that,

this part works. Doesn't really need to be at a discount. Kennedy Stewart is NDP through to his core tho, he won't work with developers to make it happen. 

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Low income housing is not where the money is at.

Selling over priced over rated shoe box apartments in Vancouver is how you make money.

oh I know.

but it's much needed and this bankruptcy fear would give the city an excuse to shed some assets

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this part works. Doesn't really need to be at a discount. Kennedy Stewart is NDP through to his core tho, he won't work with developers to make it happen. 

I suggested that because I dont know what the market is at for expensive land. That and if you want to try to force developers to build low income I would have thought they would need some sort of deal on the prices.

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

oh I know.

but it's much needed and this bankruptcy fear would give the city an excuse to shed some assets

City is so overpriced and overrated, I feel bad for all the young people trying to buy.

• Cheers 1