The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Phase 2] NHL Draft Lottery for 1st overall to occur Monday 3 p.m. PT

Rate this topic

EP40.

Phase 2 of 2020 NHL Draft Lottery to be held Monday

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/phase-2-2020-nhl-draft-lottery-held-monday/

The fate of Alexis Lafreniere will be decided next Monday.

After the projected top pick’s landing spot was delayed more than a month with a placeholder team coming away with the first-overall selection at Phase 1 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery at the end of June, the league announced Thursday that the aforementioned mystery club will be revealed Aug. 10 at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT on Sportsnet during Phase 2.

The eight teams that are eliminated from the Stanley Cup qualifiers will be eligible for the top prize, with all participants having the same odds (12.5 per cent) represented by one ball in the league’s lottery machine.

The seven teams not selected in Phase 2 will be assigned draft slots 9 through 15 in inverse order based on their points percentages at the time of the NHL’s pause in the regular season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The draft selection order currently stands as:

1. Placeholder team
2. Los Angeles Kings
3. Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks)
4. Detroit Red Wings
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Buffalo Sabres
9. TBD
10. TBD
11. TBD
12. TBD
13. TBD
14. TBD
15. TBD

The remaining 16 first-round selections will be determined by the results of the playoffs.

Eliminated play-in teams who are now in the running for 1st overall:

A ) New York Rangers - 12.5%
B ) Winnipeg Jets - 12.5%

C ) Florida Panthers - 12.5%
D ) Nashville Predators - 12.5%

E ) Pittsburgh Penguins - 12.5%

F ) Edmonton Oilers - 12.5%
G ) Minnesota Wild - 12.5%
H ) Toronto Maple Leafs - 12.5%

E01EAF41-2601-4075-8503-596185890F09.thumb.jpeg.5deb5437ac07e1eb3ee30404d45a18f2.jpeg

Edited by EP40.

Not many teams I want to win first overall. It's been hard cheering in these games. Like I want Leafs to lose cause I don't want them to make playoffs but that means a 12% chance at 1st. Ugh. Seems like a lose-lose. I hope the Wild win it. They could use it. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Not many teams I want to win first overall. It's been hard cheering in these games. Like I want Leafs to lose cause I don't want them to make playoffs but that means a 12% chance at 1st. Ugh. Seems like a lose-lose. I hope the Wild win it. They could use it. 

Wild or the 'Peg

4 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Yeah now I want Winnipeg to win it.

24 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Wild or the 'Peg

Well don't pity the Peg just because two of their stars are out with injuries.

Winnipeg got lucky and won 2nd overall in 2016, allowing them to add Laine to already strong top 6 group. I'd hate to see Winnipeg add another 1st line winger and ice the line up of:

Lafreniere-Scheifele-Wheeler

Ehlers-Little-Laine

It's going to awfully difficult to break our 10 game losing streak against them if we have to face that line up.

The only team that makes sense is Montreal. I think the Pens are going to come back and win this and Canadiens will get a Francophone superstar that they've wanted for so many years.

33 minutes ago, khay said:

Winnipeg got lucky and won 2nd overall in 2016, allowing them to add Laine to already strong top 6 group. I'd hate to see Winnipeg add another 1st line winger and ice the line up of:

Ehlers-Little-Laine

It's going to awfully difficult to break our 10 game losing streak against them if we have to face that line up.

The only team that makes sense is Montreal. I think the Pens are going to come back and win this and Canadiens will get a Francophone superstar that they've wanted for so many years.

They also have Connor.  Could see them trading a winger for defensive help if they get Lafrenière.  Would think Ehlers but Laine is RFA in a year and it was challenging to get him under contract.  This time he'll have arbitration rights and will be 2 years to UFA.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The thought of Toronto, Edmonton or PIttsburgh winning this makes me sick.. if current situation holds there is a 36% one of these teams wins Lafreniere

Add Chicago to that list. Cant have them winning Lafrenier 

14 minutes ago, mll said:

They also have Connor.  Could see them trading a winger for defensive help if they get Lafrenière.  Would think Ehlers but Laine is RFA in a year and it was challenging to get him under contract.  This time he'll have arbitration rights and will be 2 years to UFA.  

Thanks, can't believe I forgot about Connor! 

If they do get Lafreniere, given how savvy of a GM Chevy is, they will do that trade of winger for defence. Maybe Johansen for Jones type trade... Yuck, I don't want them anywhere near Lafreniere, that team's going to be scary if they do.

Well, as long as Edmonton, Chicago, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Toronto don't get the 1st overall, I'll be content. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Wild or the 'Peg

1 hour ago, Justdean10 said:

Yeah now I want Winnipeg to win it.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Ehlers-Little-Laine

I want Winnipeg to win it, not out of pity, but because the 'Placeholder Team E' that won the first lottery had the 12th best odds by points percentage.

Winnipeg would have been that 12th spot by points percentage if the NHL hadn't done this two part lottery BS. So its like Winnipeg kinda deserves the pick they've already 'won' once. 

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I want Winnipeg to win it, not out of pity, but because the 'Placeholder Team E' that won the first lottery had the 12th best odds by points percentage.

Winnipeg would have been that 12th spot by points percentage if the NHL hadn't done this two part lottery BS. So its like Winnipeg kinda deserves the pick they've already 'won' once. 

Didn't know that. 

But man, why is Winnipeg so lucky? 2nd overall in 2016 and "should have" won 1st overall in 2020.

34 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Jets should win, they have been hit by so many bad luck. Imagine if Edmonton, Toronto or Pittsburgh win and Lafreniere turns out to be a superstar. 

Well, if we are going by who has had more bad luck in the past, then the Canucks have 50 years of it to show for + NHL bias against Canucks robbing 2 Stanley Cups + scumbag Kelly Sutherland with some sort of sick vendetta against the Canucks and the bad luck of him being a resident of BC of all places.

So I'd say even if we make the playoffs, somehow we should win the 1st overall.

I'd rather keep Lafreniere in the East if he's not coming to us. Montreal would be my pick.

As of right now, the teams on the brink are:

EDM

PIT

NSH

FLA

TOR

MIN

And we know WPG and NYR are already out.

Out of all those, I'd prefer if FLA, NSH, or MIN win it.

No to PIT, EDM, and TOR for obvious reasons.

No to NYR because I hate them and they got Kakko recently anyways.

No to WPG because I hate Laine and his remarks against the Canucks in the past.

• Cheers 1