The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Heat Wave?

tapeboy

I am loving this heat wave! Unfortunately I was inside all day doing homework today, but I took advantage of the opportunity of getting out on Friday and Saturday! 

I love it when it is hot or very warm outside! It makes me so cheerful and excited! I'm cheerful and excited most of the time, but it just gives that extraness! 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, brilac said:

I am loving this heat wave! Unfortunately I was inside all day doing homework today, but I took advantage of the opportunity of getting out on Friday and Saturday! 

I love it when it is hot or very warm outside! It makes me so cheerful and excited! I'm cheerful and excited most of the time, but it just gives that extraness! 

Just do what I did in school!  Copy off of Alf.  Course that might be the reason I was in the 7th grade for five years.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

It's 33C (feels like 37 here right now).  A cozy 67F in the the house

I had a cooling coil put on the furnace after the 1st hot spell in May.  So hydro in the summer for air conditioning...natural gas in the winter for heat

Cost me $10,000 but worth every penny as the sun is on the front of the house during the hottest parts of the day.  Got up to 88F in the house in May.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone here have Mini-Splits in their homes?  I was eyeing up them again after this heat wave (plus my bedrooms is electric forced air anyways with one of them having no heat in winter). Seen some of those Senville branded ones on farms for their stores, etc. so just wondering what some peoples experiences could be with them.  Reading up on them again (did it last summer) and on Reddit seems like most people are happy with the DIY models for the most part, some complain it can't keep up with extreme cold but we don't really see less than -10 here in the Fraser Valley anyways and I think most of those people were more in the -30 range but wasn't sure.

Edited by Russ

OMG Fires!

Just like the towns where houses flood away, we don't build them back, but instead build wider rivers basically (which can simply be parks like Riverside Park in Kamloops which is designed to hold the flood waters of the Thompson River when it wants to flood), we should do something similar to mitigate fire danger.

Towns that are in danger of being affected by forest fires (aka most in BC) should have (in addition to things like not having lots of combustible type materials in houses near the edge) fire breaks around them. This can take many forms. It can be well irrigated farms like vineyards and orchards, which so long as they are lush and well irrigated, should act as a break to the fire. Or it can be a green belt, that is either irrigated, or is made of creative non burnable materials (it can have sections of pickle ball courts lol). It can be walking paths. It can be ring roads. It can be rock gardens. And as a default it's (once again) parks, but this time, they are designed to not burn instead of flood. 

And let's do it right! Partner up with First Nations to get their input. Perhaps we go back to lighting some of these parks on fire in the spring and fall with First Nation participation, as they used to do before we foolishly stopped them. 

It doesn't need to be many kilometer wide desiccated scar. Which is what nature is giving us as the default option. So if we need to cut some trees down, spend some money, and put in irrigation to protect ourselves in the future, we just going to repeat the past.

I recommend Kelowna as a good place to do a test version.