The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If healthy I think Wentz has an mvp calibre season. If Reich managed make Rivers look good, he'll do the same with Wentz. He's got one of the best O lines protecting him, a solid running game, and WRs that can really fly. Wouldn't be suprised if Ertz makes his way to Indy this off season. As good as Doyle is in the redzone, hes a better blocking TE

As a Bills fan, I have a soft spot for Frank Reich. Jim Kelly is my all-time favorite player, (and Josh Allen is well on his way to becoming #2) but IMHO, Reich's comeback in the WC Game against the Oilers is the greatest QB performance in team history....

...I'll have no problem at all cheering for Reich, Wentz and the Colts nest season.....except when they're playing the Bills, of course....B)

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

I get that Russ is ticked about all the sacks against; however I'd bet the Seahawks could afford a better O line if they had more cap room.

Seems a lot of that cap space went to pay their quarter back. Russ is now the third highest annual  salary value in the league:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/russell-wilson-s-camp-has-discussed-multiple-trade-destinations-with-seahawks-per-reports/ar-BB1e14jT?ocid=msedgdhp

Russell Wilson's frustrations with the Seattle Seahawks uncharacteristically boiled over earlier this month. But apparently his dismay runs so deep that his representatives have approached the team about at least four potential NFL trade destinations, according to The Athletic

Pause
Current Time 0:21
/
Duration 2:05
Loaded: 32.02%

Unmute

HQ
Caption
Fullscreen
The next Brady? Seahawks Russell Wilson says he wants a '20 plus year' carWilson just completed the first season of a four-year, $140 million extension that briefly made him the league's highest-paid player, based on average annual compensation, before his pact was eclipsed by Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. Wilson's contract also contains a full no-trade clause, meaning the Seahawks, who drafted him in the third round in 2012, can't deal him anywhere without his approval. 

Apparently, Wilson's team has already pinpointed the Las Vegas Raiders, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints and New York Jets as teams the seven-time Pro Bowler would be willing to join if the football waters off Puget Sound can't be calmed. ESPN later reported, via Wilson's agent, that his preference is to remain with the Seahawks, but he'd only consider being dealt to the Saints, Raiders, Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Bears

Earlier this month, after Wilson was awarded the NFL's prestigious Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award the night before Super Bowl 55, he broke from his typically sunny disposition in relation to Seattle. Wilson revealed he was "frustrated I’m getting hit too much" after getting sacked 394 times in his career.

“I want to be able to be involved because at the end of the day, it’s your legacy, it’s your team’s legacy, it’s the guys you get to go into the huddle with and at the end of the day, those guys you’ve got to trust,” he also told "The Dan Patrick Show" after the Super Bowl.

“I think if you ask guys like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, you know, even Tom (Brady), you know, I think that you saw this year how much he was involved in the process – I think that’s something that is important to me.”

Wilson, 32, has never experienced a losing season with the Seahawks and has only missed the playoffs once in his nine seasons. He was part of the 2013 squad that brought Seattle its only Super Bowl title to date, but the 'Hawks haven't advanced beyond the divisional round since Wilson's infamous interception cost the team a shot to repeat by winning Super Bowl 49 to cap the 2014 campaign.

The Athletic also details Wilson's growing issues with longtime Seattle coach Pete Carroll and his general unwillingness to let Wilson take control of the offense, i.e., "let Russ cook."

Wilson appeared to be on track to win his first MVP award after a blistering start to the 2020 season. But he struggled down the stretch and threw a pick-six in the NFC West champs' wild-card loss to the Los Angeles Rams. 

Wilson has still never received a single MVP vote during his career.

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Obviously he has not seen Bears O line play this or the last few seasons.

What Mahomes went through in the SB that is the weekly occurrence in Chicago.

I hope you guys get Watson.  Chicago deserves a better QB than Trubisky.  As much as I dislike the Saints, Wilson would be an excellent fit there.  I think the Saints are pretty cash strapped though.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I hope you guys get Watson.  Chicago deserves a better QB than Trubisky.  As much as I dislike the Saints, Wilson would be an excellent fit there.  I think the Saints are pretty cash strapped though.

When your best all time QB is Sid Luckman that played back in 1940s, you know your team sucks at picking QB.

TBH, I see maybe Winston getting traded to Chicago if they get Watson or us getting Fitzpatrick.

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As a Bills fan, I have a soft spot for Frank Reich. Jim Kelly is my all-time favorite player, (and Josh Allen is well on his way to becoming #2) but IMHO, Reich's comeback in the WC Game against the Oilers is the greatest QB performance in team history....

...I'll have no problem at all cheering for Reich, Wentz and the Colts nest season.....except when they're playing the Bills, of course....B)

Definetely, I didnt see the 2nd half of the game as i left for the airport with my family. Didn't think for a second that Oilers would lose, 12 hours later when I arrived back home, man was I shocked hahahah

20 hours ago, gurn said:

I get that Russ is ticked about all the sacks against; however I'd bet the Seahawks could afford a better O line if they had more cap room.

Seems a lot of that cap space went to pay their quarter back. Russ is now the third highest annual  salary value in the league:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/russell-wilson-s-camp-has-discussed-multiple-trade-destinations-with-seahawks-per-reports/ar-BB1e14jT?ocid=msedgdhp

Russell Wilson's frustrations with the Seattle Seahawks uncharacteristically boiled over earlier this month. But apparently his dismay runs so deep that his representatives have approached the team about at least four potential NFL trade destinations, according to The Athletic

Pause
Current Time 0:21
/
Duration 2:05
Loaded: 32.02%

Unmute

HQ
Caption
Fullscreen
The next Brady? Seahawks Russell Wilson says he wants a '20 plus year' carWilson just completed the first season of a four-year, $140 million extension that briefly made him the league's highest-paid player, based on average annual compensation, before his pact was eclipsed by Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. Wilson's contract also contains a full no-trade clause, meaning the Seahawks, who drafted him in the third round in 2012, can't deal him anywhere without his approval. 

Apparently, Wilson's team has already pinpointed the Las Vegas Raiders, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints and New York Jets as teams the seven-time Pro Bowler would be willing to join if the football waters off Puget Sound can't be calmed. ESPN later reported, via Wilson's agent, that his preference is to remain with the Seahawks, but he'd only consider being dealt to the Saints, Raiders, Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Bears

Earlier this month, after Wilson was awarded the NFL's prestigious Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award the night before Super Bowl 55, he broke from his typically sunny disposition in relation to Seattle. Wilson revealed he was "frustrated I’m getting hit too much" after getting sacked 394 times in his career.

“I want to be able to be involved because at the end of the day, it’s your legacy, it’s your team’s legacy, it’s the guys you get to go into the huddle with and at the end of the day, those guys you’ve got to trust,” he also told "The Dan Patrick Show" after the Super Bowl.

“I think if you ask guys like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, you know, even Tom (Brady), you know, I think that you saw this year how much he was involved in the process – I think that’s something that is important to me.”

Wilson, 32, has never experienced a losing season with the Seahawks and has only missed the playoffs once in his nine seasons. He was part of the 2013 squad that brought Seattle its only Super Bowl title to date, but the 'Hawks haven't advanced beyond the divisional round since Wilson's infamous interception cost the team a shot to repeat by winning Super Bowl 49 to cap the 2014 campaign.

The Athletic also details Wilson's growing issues with longtime Seattle coach Pete Carroll and his general unwillingness to let Wilson take control of the offense, i.e., "let Russ cook."

Wilson appeared to be on track to win his first MVP award after a blistering start to the 2020 season. But he struggled down the stretch and threw a pick-six in the NFC West champs' wild-card loss to the Los Angeles Rams. 

Wilson has still never received a single MVP vote during his career.

On the one hand, Danger-Russ has got a point.  Why would you not invest in a line that can protect your highest paid and unquestionably your most talented, most valuable player?  It's only a matter of time, unless things change in Seattle, when Russ is going to get hurt unless you protect that asset. 

On the other hand, there is a growing trend, not only in the NFL, but several major pro sports, where highly-paid, high-profile players feel entitled to have a say in how their team's are managed and which personnel are both acquired/let go and I have a feeling Danger-Russ feels like he should get a say whereas Schnieder/Carroll don't. 

• Upvote 1

One of those weird/fun stories that make you go "hmmm....".:

**********************************************************************************************************************

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/03/terry-bradshaw-1983-elbow-surgery-tom-brady?suid=5cc1babffc942d7988391785&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 030321&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

Terry Bradshaw Once Had Elbow Surgery Under the Assumed Name ‘Tom Brady’

Terry Bradshaw was hurting after the 1982 season. The 34-year-old Steelers quarterback had torn muscle and tendons in his throwing elbow in training camp after slipping on a wet field while throwing a pass. Aided by cortisone shots, he managed to play every one of the nine games in the strike-shortened season, but needed surgery in the offseason to repair the damage.

On March 3, 1983, Bradshaw was admitted to Doctor’s Hospital in his hometown of Shreveport, La., for surgery. To avoid being descended upon by press and admirers, Bradshaw was admitted under an assumed name: Thomas Brady.

Interesting article from Sports Illustrated about understanding the NFL salary cap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/02/business-of-football-understanding-the-salary-cap-dead-money?suid=5cc1babffc942d7988391785&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 030221&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

I didn't realize teams could carry over salary cap room from one year to the next.

• 2 weeks later...

Nfl offseason heating up. Lower salary cap will have plenty of options out there for teams with cap space.

Hoping for another qb trade or 3. Jimmy G, Russ, and Deshaun all on the move would be great entertainment. 

Then we get the draft and qb hungry teams fighting over the top 5 guys.

Mac Jones is overrated imo a system qb who has a best case ceiling of Kirk Cousins and a realistic floor of Andy Dalton.

Trey Lance is raw but his upside is as high as anyone if he goes to the right coaching staff and players around him.

Imo rankings and comps. 

1. Lawrence Andrew Luck

2. Fields  MVP season Cam/ Deshaun Watson

3. Lance Dak/ Josh Allen

4. Wilson Baker Mayfield

5. Jones Dalton

I'm happy today. Absolutely love the Judon and Jonnu signings. Like the other signings as well. Agholor is cool if last year is a sign but he'll be a 2/3 WR anyways. Welcome back big fella Trent Brown.

Love all the early picks in the draft as well.

Patricia back as defensive coordinator, defensive hold outs from last year all returning, signing front 7 animals with a strong offensive line and a 2 headed running back attack. Looks like Bill is going back to the early and mid 2000's playbook.

Love that the draft can take so many different approaches now. QB isn't necessarily a "must trade up for one" anymore. Wouldn't mind throwing Fitzmagic or Brissett a 2 year deal. 

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm happy today. Absolutely love the Judon and Jonnu signings. Like the other signings as well. Agholor is cool if last year is a sign but he'll be a 2/3 WR anyways. Welcome back big fella Trent Brown.

Patricia back as defensive coordinator, defensive hold outs from last year all returning, signing front 7 animals with a strong offensive line and a 2 headed running back attack. Looks like Bill is going back to the early and mid 2000's playbook.

Love that the draft can take so many different approaches now. QB isn't necessarily a "must trade up for one" anymore. Wouldn't mind throwing Fitzmagic or Brissett a 2 year deal. 

Which QB do you think will land in their spot realistically? Judon is a good player and when healthy, Jonnu Smith is a good one, massive upgrade over their TE-corps. I don't think Agholor is a fit for what the Pats do, although he is an upgrade over the guys they have.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:09 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Nfl offseason heating up. Lower salary cap will have plenty of options out there for teams with cap space.

Hoping for another qb trade or 3. Jimmy G, Russ, and Deshaun all on the move would be great entertainment. 

Then we get the draft and qb hungry teams fighting over the top 5 guys.

Mac Jones is overrated imo a system qb who has a best case ceiling of Kirk Cousins and a realistic floor of Andy Dalton.

Trey Lance is raw but his upside is as high as anyone if he goes to the right coaching staff and players around him.

Imo rankings and comps. 

1. Lawrence Andrew Luck

2. Fields  MVP season Cam/ Deshaun Watson

3. Lance Dak/ Josh Allen

4. Wilson Baker Mayfield

5. Jones Dalton

Wilson is getting a lot of hype and he might get taken ahead of Lance

Earlier this week, I just watched Kyle Pitts clips, theres a lot of hype on the kid being on the best TE's to come out for quite some time, damn he looks good. He looks like a generational talent. Just an absolute mismatch, if he gets into a good TE friendly system, he can easily challenge for top 3 TE

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If they can get Marriotta from the Raiders, he fits like a glove to what the Patriots are running

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Which QB do you think will land in their spot realistically? Judon is a good player and when healthy, Jonnu Smith is a good one, massive upgrade over their TE-corps. I don't think Agholor is a fit for what the Pats do, although he is an upgrade over the guys they have.

Realistically if they stay at 15, Mac Jones is the only QB that'll be there. Trey Lance has an outside shot but likely will be gone before 12. 

Jonnu was a big get, pairing him with Hunter Henry will be even better. Agholor I think will be used just as an outside guy to have someone with speed (not that Cam will be able to throw that anyways) and have Jules and Bourne on the inside with the other outside spot being a camp battle between Harry Byrde Meyers and Lee.

With how we're building out the front 7 and the secondary, and probably taking a couple big boys on the O Line in the early rounds, Cam and the receivers will be the least important group on the team. 

But again, with all that draft capital, still a lot that can happen. I love the tandem of Harris and Michel, but would love to add a Drake or Williams to the backfield. 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, CBH1926 said:

When your best all time QB is Sid Luckman that played back in 1940s, you know your team sucks at picking QB.

TBH, I see maybe Winston getting traded to Chicago if they get Watson or us getting Fitzpatrick.

YES, WE GOT ANDY DOLTON!!!!!!!