The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

turning 25.  if he doesn't progress I think he's done with us after 2019.

Unfortunately you are probably right. His injury last year could be his demise. Hoping that he comes back with a vengence. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Give him a chance, we will carry 8 D he will be one of them

Not this year, surely? I'm a pretty big fan of his steady play, but there's quite the logjam in front of him and he has practically no chance of being claimed on waivers. No need to get rid of him, but I don't expect to see him with the big club this year barring multiple injuries. 

6 hours ago, Guile said:

Not this year, surely? I'm a pretty big fan of his steady play, but there's quite the logjam in front of him and he has practically no chance of being claimed on waivers. No need to get rid of him, but I don't expect to see him with the big club this year barring multiple injuries. 

He was a favorite of Greener's in Green's final year as head coach in Utica. Green seems to have a soft spot for him. With him not being waiver eligible this year, he could be the dark horse for the 8th man spot. Him and Sautner are both waiver eligible this year for the first time so there'll be a tough decision. Good chance McEneny gets waived and starts in Utica to get game reps in before becoming the first callup when injuries strike. Very low odds another NHL team takes a chance on McEneny with his injury from last year... but who knows, a few years ago we took Ryan Stanton from the Blackhawks when he had little to no NHL experience so stranger things have happened.

10 hours ago, Quantum said:

He was a favorite of Greener's in Green's final year as head coach in Utica. Green seems to have a soft spot for him. With him not being waiver eligible this year, he could be the dark horse for the 8th man spot. Him and Sautner are both waiver eligible this year for the first time so there'll be a tough decision. Good chance McEneny gets waived and starts in Utica to get game reps in before becoming the first callup when injuries strike. Very low odds another NHL team takes a chance on McEneny with his injury from last year... but who knows, a few years ago we took Ryan Stanton from the Blackhawks when he had little to no NHL experience so stranger things have happened.

Barring trades, it's looking like we'll be going with 14 F and 7 D and that's quite unlikely to include McEneny.

I sure hope McEneny has a full recovery and comes to camp and shocks Canuck nation..

This will be a big year for McEneny with all the good young prospects around in Utica now.

Young D prospects in Utica to start season, Juolevi 20, Briesbois 21, Chatfield 22, Sautner 23, Bassard  21, McEneny 24.. I can see Juolevi playing 15-20 games in Utica and he will get called up and will never go back..

I really feel Juolevi will turn into that #2 or #3 D man playing 21-23 mins a game, solid good all around D man for 10 years.. 

• Upvote 1

Both McEneny and Sautner are NHL quality dmen. Sautner opened a lot of eyes at the end of last season. ( looked better than Pouliot and Hutton in my opinion ) while McEneny chose a terrible time to get injured. He is 25, but has missed two seasons of hockey. The big question is whether we can get these two to Utica. The uncertainty of rosters at waiver time might be in our favour, but I'm sure that other teams are aware of their potential.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Both McEneny and Sautner are NHL quality dmen. Sautner opened a lot of eyes at the end of last season. ( looked better than Pouliot and Hutton in my opinion ) while McEneny chose a terrible time to get injured. He is 25, but has missed two seasons of hockey. The big question is whether we can get these two to Utica. The uncertainty of rosters at waiver time might be in our favour, but I'm sure that other teams are aware of their potential.

I agree with your post Sautner looked very good in Canuck blue at the end of the season and McEneny would of been up if he never got hurt..I just checked McEneny age 24 in May.. This is a big year for his career to show he is NHL ready and not a minor league guy..

58 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

McEneny will be picked up off waivers along with Gaunce..

11 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I doubt Gaunce is grabbed but McEneny has a lot of potential. Though I would say if he doesn't make it this year he wont be with us in the future

I'd actually wager Gaunce would be taken 1st if either were to be but that does assume team needs etc.

Evan's coming off ANOTHER major injury, is going on 25 and has 1NHL game on his resume. Most team's have a few guys of their own just like that, they have little need for another one.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree with your post Sautner looked very good in Canuck blue at the end of the season and McEneny would of been up if he never got hurt..I just checked McEneny age 24 in May.. This is a big year for his career to show he is NHL ready and not a minor league guy..

Will be interesting to see that battle -- if Sautner has improved further and if Hutton and Pouliot up their game, as it could be a 3-way battle for the 3rd pairing LHS.  And that doesn't include Juolevi knocking at the door, recovery from surgery notwithstanding.  Will have to see if McEneny can pick up where he left off a year ago.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...