The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Didn't expect him to cool off this pre-season...I thought for sure he'd be fighting for a 9 game stint. But fortunately we've got other forwards to check out first. Looking forward to him bouncing back.

The 9 game stint wouldn't apply to him since he's AHL-eligible. Nothing to be too surprised about here, though. He's a 20 year-old 3rd round pick coming off  an offseason that saw him have surgery and gave him less time to train. He'll come along.

He's exceptionally high compete. It looks like that's the part of this vague "character" stuff JB wants to draft - guys who compete for every inch of ice, and want to win every battle. I like to watch players off the puck. Our young jury's, especially Cassels, is always working hard to get in the way of other teams' players, so he has good position. He's almost always puck side first. He would be a royal pain in the ass to compete against.

Good draft pick from Gillis.

I think that his biggest challenge his going to be his skating speed.  Hes a smart player that can play in many situations, but does he have NHL speed?  I think his foot speed was the primary reason he was selected in the third round instead of going higher in the draft.

Some kind of abdominal surgery, there's a bit about it in this article.  Notice in the article that he hadn't even been back on skates when the development camp started.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Jamieson+delays+Cassels+summer+training+with+Canucks/11201980/story.html

Yeah I expect him to start slow and round more in to form later this season.

He had a long, HARD Mem cup season last year, an injury that kept him from training and is transitioning to a pro league. That's a lot to recover from/adapt to.

Like Shinkaruk last year, I'm sure CDC will be howling 'what happened to Cassels?!" :frantic: all year until he gets up to speed in the latter portion of the season/playoffs.

yup.  Gillis had a really good draft that year.  I think JB is trying to draft guys of the same "pain on the ass to play against" character.

so far Benning is looking pretty genius at drafting

- virtanen and mccann in the nhl at 19yrs old

-demko is killing it

-Boesser is killing it

-Brisbois was a nice pick up in the third round and by all accounts he had a great prospects camp, but jury still out on rest of 2014 and 2015 draft like Tryamkin (if he ever comes over to NA he could be a real steal and may make the NHL next year or year after), Zhukenow, Jasek, Neil

thats 4 and potentially 6 (tryamkin and Brisbois) NHL players in 2 drafts, 4 of witch could be very key players - I really want to see what benning can do in a deep draft with 4-5 picks in the first 65

so far Benning is looking pretty genius at drafting

- virtanen and mccann in the nhl at 19yrs old

-demko is killing it

-Boesser is killing it

-Brisbois was a nice pick up in the third round and by all accounts he had a great prospects camp, but jury still out on rest of 2014 and 2015 draft like Tryamkin (if he ever comes over to NA he could be a real steal and may make the NHL next year or year after), Zhukenow, Jasek, Neil

thats 4 and potentially 6 (tryamkin and Brisbois) NHL players in 2 drafts, 4 of witch could be very key players - I really want to see what benning can do in a deep draft with 4-5 picks in the first 65

I agree.  We had a real nasty dry spell for several years, where didn't get any good prospects.  It's nice to have a bunch of young guys to look forward to.  All the guys you listed I like too.  I think you're right on the big boy - Tryamkin.  He might be a steal.  Another player I really like is Zhuk.  He just might be a real steal too.

Prospect Report

Cole Cassels
After leading the Oshawa Generals on a lengthy, grueling run to the Memorial Cup, Cassels entered the 2015-16 season with a lot of hype.

While the 20-year-old centre has gotten off to a slow start at the AHL level and has even been a healthy scratch, there’s more going on here than just performance.

“He played hurt throughout the end of [his] season, and spent the majority of his summer rehabbing,” Green said. “I think part of his slow start is just because he hasn’t had the proper training over the summer.”

Rethinking rehab and prehab programs, particularly for young players, has been an early focus of Canucks president Trevor Linden. In Cassels’ case, that means he’s on an individually tailored scheme to make up for the time he lost this off-season.

“Right now we’re in the process of making sure that he gets enough gym time, enough strengthening time off the ice to help his game progress on the ice,” Green said. “It’s a fine line, I think it’s important that we don’t rush him into positions he’s not ready for, and make sure that he’s strong.

“We have a special plan for him in terms of conditioning and working out,” Green added. “I’m expecting by Christmastime that he’ll be a much different player than he is right now.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-prospects-report-october/

Absolutely love this approach. Excited to see what he can do from January onward.

with our prospect depth  we can slow cook cassel like detroit does  give him a yr or two in utica then come in as a unreal 4th line shutdown center    sedin mccann sutter/horvat cassels in two yrs will be epic  sutter can play wing and  we will have 2 great offensive centers and 4 great 200 ft players   watch out nhl we are gonna destroy league in 3-4 yrs 

with our prospect depth  we can slow cook cassel like detroit does  give him a yr or two in utica then come in as a unreal 4th line shutdown center    sedin mccann sutter/horvat cassels in two yrs will be epic  sutter can play wing and  we will have 2 great offensive centers and 4 great 200 ft players   watch out nhl we are gonna destroy league in 3-4 yrs 

From the Sportsnet Canucks rookie report of Oct. 30:

After leading the Oshawa Generals on a lengthy, grueling run to the Memorial Cup, Cassels entered the 2015-16 season with a lot of hype.

While the 20-year-old centre has gotten off to a slow start at the AHL level and has even been a healthy scratch, there’s more going on here than just performance.

“He played hurt throughout the end of [his] season, and spent the majority of his summer rehabbing,” Green said. “I think part of his slow start is just because he hasn’t had the proper training over the summer.”

Rethinking rehab and prehab programs, particularly for young players, has been an early focus of Canucks president Trevor Linden. In Cassels’ case, that means he’s on an individually tailored scheme to make up for the time he lost this off-season.

“Right now we’re in the process of making sure that he gets enough gym time, enough strengthening time off the ice to help his game progress on the ice,” Green said. “It’s a fine line, I think it’s important that we don’t rush him into positions he’s not ready for, and make sure that he’s strong.

“We have a special plan for him in terms of conditioning and working out,” Green added. “I’m expecting by Christmastime that he’ll be a much different player than he is right now.

Archived