The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks negotiating a new contract with Andrew Alberts

Got to just focus on re-signing Tanev. Steadiest D-man for the Canucks ever since he got called up. I just hope Weber comes to play and they give Corrado a chance over Alberts.. I just find no use for the guy. When the rules changed after the lockout guys like him got fazed out of the game. It has continually gotten faster IMO and D need to be very mobile.. I have just seen him get exploited off the rush and out of the corner too many times. Murray and Fistric are more pricey but they are both more mobile (albeit not a lot more) and have a mean streak which I personally haven't seen from Alberts... Both Fistric and Murray keep opposing forwards honest with huge hits. I know they have higher cap hits but the fact that Alberts is cheap and knows the systems doesn't justify re-signing the guy. Either call up a young prospect to work with the youth movement they have said to be undergoing or sign someone else.. Just my opinion. He isn't exactly what the team needs moving forward, he isn't a player that will help them now.. He simply isn't a good NHL D-man. End of story.

Depends on the price.

Alberts was at 1.225M cap hit last year. I think he has to be the solid #6 d-man to justify that cap hit. Too much to pay for a #7 with the cap situation we are in. Would a new coach have more confidence in him?

Be curious to know what the other options are for a cap hit in the 1.2M range.

Do you think any of these guys would be available for the same price and would they be an upgrade?

Tom Gilbert

Ryan Whitney

Ryan O'Byrne

Coliacovo

I think it is certain the Canucks will sign one more veteran D-man, not sure whether it will be Alberts or not.

"Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". That may not be the exact quote, but close enough to get the point. Seems like we may be headed down this same road for the third season in a row. Although I do believe that change for the sake of change isn't exactly the right move either, I do think that a bit more of a roster shake up was necessary. Maybe Torts will fire this squad up and prove us wrong.

Fistric > Alberts for what this team needs right now. Andrew doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

I think we really need to sign him. Who else do you see that's gonna fit in and *not* be a gamble? We have little depth in the minors other than Corrado, and he will probably make the team this year.

I don't see him taking much of a pay cut like you guys are thinking. He's worth 1.1-1.3m IMO. Problem is we have to squeeze CAP somewhere. Something like: Tanev 2M, Schroeder 1.1M, Weise 800K and Alberts 1.225m would be close.

I think we really need to sign him. Who else do you see that's gonna fit in and *not* be a gamble? We have little depth in the minors other than Corrado, and he will probably make the team this year.

I don't see him taking much of a pay cut like you guys are thinking. He's worth 1.1-1.3m IMO. Problem is we have to squeeze CAP somewhere. Something like: Tanev 2M, Schroeder 1.1M, Weise 800K and Alberts 1.225m would be close.

If its not Alberts then Fistric either guy is interchangeable really as the main difference would be is age and in that case maybe Sullivan could work well with Fistric to develop his overall defensive game.

Either way either guy is completely serviceable as a No.7 Dman

Yet Edler led the defence in hits...

BTW: Those that are saying Alberts doesn't hit, his average hits per game was just slightly under that of Edler and Bieksa.....and those two get a lot more ice time...

You prove my point...I like Alberts and I know he can hit.  I was pointing out that players under AV's system hit less than they should (or seemingly less than other NHL clubs) and, most likely, is one reason why Alberts hits less than he once did.  I don't think its a good thing that Edler hits more than Bieksa, Garrison, or Alberts.  Our physical players were not being as physical as they should have been (and yes, I know Edler can hit too).

Also see: Lapierre, Burrows, Higgins, Torres, Sestito or any other player who hasn't finished a check from the Canucks in the last seven years.

Edit:  Just reread your post and I can't tell if you were supporting or refuting me :lol: , need more coffee.

I'm refuting this idea that AV was actively discouraging players from hitting.

Two other things: 1) Lapierre was consistently a team leader in hits during his tenure here. 2) Hits is a subjective stat. Cal Clutterbuck used to get credited with a hit by the Minny stats guy everytime he broke wind.

Team leader on a team that didn't hit. Lapierre was 36th in the league in hits last year and the only one on our team in the top 100. Hits may be a somewhat subjective stat but every team will get the benefit of the doubt in at least half their games.

In 2011-2012 Van had 3 players in the top 100, 2 in 2010/11 & 2009/10, and only Steve Bernier in 08/09 (his first season with the Nucks). Unfortunately I couldn't find stats for the pre-AV years.

Interestingly enough, Andrew Alberts lead the team in hits in 2009/10 (most of the year being spent in Carolina) and was 13th in the league for the same.

Archived