The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

Joe Thornton is leading the league in assists, and fourth overall in points. No one (not just CDC) is talking about him making the team. Because I'm a Canucks fan I'm not a fan of Jumbo-Joe, but he is sic! Especially as a playmaker. Stamkos, Sharp and Thornton would be a great line.

He's not a very good player when it comes to playoffs. In the Olympics, every game is a playoff game. He made the team on the fact that, his linemates also made it, and because of the Chemistry he had with Heatly and Marleaus opened up a spot for him. I Personally don't think someone like Thorton should be on that team, as we have guys that can do the job good enough that we don't need Thornton. Examples, such as Getzlaf and Crosby. Stamkos, (a centerman)

Guys like Benn, Duchene, Couture, Seguin, Giroux, etc shouldn't be on the 4th line. If any of those guys make the team, they should be slotted somewhere in the first three lines, not playing in a shutdown role.

Joe Thornton is leading the league in assists, and fourth overall in points. No one (not just CDC) is talking about him making the team. Because I'm a Canucks fan I'm not a fan of Jumbo-Joe, but he is sic! Especially as a playmaker. Stamkos, Sharp and Thornton would be a great line.

Yeah, he's consistently put up the numbers over his career and this year is no different.

Unfortunately for him, (as Moneypuck already noted) he has a reputation for disappearing when the games become more important. He's been a bit better in San Jose than he was in Boston, but he's had the nickname "No show Joe" for a long time and has never really been able to shake it.

Glen Healy doesn't think Mike Smith should be a goalie for Team Canada thoughts???

I don't either. He currently sits 15th in save % among Canadian goaltenders and 17th in GAA.....and that's all while playing in one of the leagues best defensive systems.

This season notwithstanding, Smith has had good numbers in the past, but in Tampa he couldn't even take the starter's role. IMO, Dave Tippett's system has made him look better than he really is.

I still think the number 3 spot is going to go to Crawford. Granted, his numbers aren't great this year, but he's shown the ability in the past to raise his game when the chips are down....

....and none of the other candidates can claim to have backstopped their team to two Stanley Cups. (unless you consider Brodeur a candidate)

I don't either. He currently sits 15th in save % among Canadian goaltenders and 17th in GAA.....and that's all while playing in one of the leagues best defensive systems.

This season notwithstanding, Smith has had good numbers in the past, but in Tampa he couldn't even take the starter's role. IMO, Dave Tippett's system has made him look better than he really is.

I still think the number 3 spot is going to go to Crawford. Granted, his numbers aren't great this year, but he's shown the ability in the past to raise his game when the chips are down....

....and none of the other candidates can claim to have backstopped their team to two Stanley Cups. (unless you consider Brodeur a candidate)

Crawford hasn't led his team to 2 cups, only 1.

With only a couple days remaining, I think Canada already has their team made. This is what I think it should be:

Bergeron-Crosby-Giroux

Tavares-Stamkos-St.Louis

Sharp-Toews-Nash

Carter-Getzlaf-Perry

Couture/Thornton

Keith-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Subban-Weber

Hamhuis/Vlasic

Price

Luongo

Jones/Harding

Seen enough discussion for the roster. Here's mine:

Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis

Benn - Getzlaf - Perry

Duchene - Tavares - Giroux

Sharp - Toews - Nash

Couture/Richards - Bergeron

Doughty - Keith

Hamhuis - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Vlasic/Subban/Boyle

Luongo

Price

Smith

Its almost identical to Mackenziei's earlier. I think that 3 of Hamhuis, Vlasic, Boyle, and Subban will be selected and either Richards or Couture as the 14th Forward.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger14m

4pm conference call for Team Canada management and head coach. Expect contact with Canucks medical staff for update on Luongo injury. #TSN

We just might find out more about Lou's injury from this

doubt the details will be public. Lui will be on the roster. Can always replace him before the first gm if needed.

Here's a good read in this morning province. There are some spots regarding the US team but a lot about Canada's team. From the performance of the juniors to selecting the Men's Olympic team. I like what they say about Sutter.

http://www.theprovin...1742/story.html

I pretty much agree with Todd on this.

There seems to be this common misconception that the international ice surface makes for a wide open, high-scoring game. In fact, the opposite is true. The extra ice gives defenders extra room to make up lost position and get into passing lanes.

Forget all this garbage about "building a well-rounded team". You need speed and you need shooters. Don't assume that because you have a couple already on the back end that you don't need more. This is where the Americans blundered IMO. Yandle and Buff should both be there as far as I'm concerned and Krug isn't a bad idea either.

I'm hoping that Subban is on the team when the announcement is made tomorrow and I also hope that youth is served with guys like Duchene and Seguin. Leave Nash at home.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger14m

4pm conference call for Team Canada management and head coach. Expect contact with Canucks medical staff for update on Luongo injury. #TSN

We just might find out more about Lou's injury from this

I think Lu will be safe. He's worth the risk. Even if he is injured, you're still going to have two elite goalies that can come in. Price/Smith are capable, it is not like teams need a third netminder anyway.

EDIT: My final prediction.

Stamkos - Crosby - Tavares

Duchene - Giroux - Seguin

Benn - Getzlaf - Perry

Sharp - Toews - Bergeron

Couture/St. Louis

Doughty - Keith

Hamhuis - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Subban

There seems to be this common misconception that the international ice surface makes for a wide open, high-scoring game. In fact, the opposite is true. The extra ice gives defenders extra room to make up lost position and get into passing lanes.

Forget all this garbage about "building a well-rounded team". You need speed and you need shooters. Don't assume that because you have a couple already on the back end that you don't need more. This is where the Americans blundered IMO. Yandle and Buff should both be there as far as I'm concerned and Krug isn't a bad idea either.

I'm hoping that Subban is on the team when the announcement is made tomorrow and I also hope that youth is served with guys like Duchene and Seguin. Leave Nash at home.

Yes, yes, yes. All this the talk about role-players and checking lines is bunk. We just need to take the best players. If Subban is left off, it will be completely outrageous.

There seems to be this common misconception that the international ice surface makes for a wide open, high-scoring game. In fact, the opposite is true. The extra ice gives defenders extra room to make up lost position and get into passing lanes..

Can't disagree.

Anyone who watched Finland play at this year's World Juniors knows that it's still very possible to trap on international ice.

Archived