The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Everything Bitcoin Thread

Crypto is going to take a huge hit now.  With all the hackers, scams, bankruptcy, overnight rug pulls…. People are losing faith real quick.  I’m with blockfi for the past 3 years.  And now they have frozen all accounts.   I’ve have about $5k in there.  Breaks my heart that I may never see it again as BlockFi is on the verge of bankruptcy.  
I know someone who has 6 figured in block fi and can’t access it.   I believe he had 4 btc and over 10 eth.  And a bunch of other coins.   

it’s depressing as fack!  

Edited by sassbs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sassbs said:

Crypto is going to take a huge hit now.  With all the hackers, scams, bankruptcy, overnight rug pulls…. People are losing faith real quick.  I’m with blockchain for the past 3 years.  And now they have frozen all accounts.   I’ve have about $5k in there.  Breaks my heart that I may never see it again as BlockFi is on the verge of bankruptcy.  
I know someone who has 6 figured in block fi and can’t access it.   I believe he had 4 btc and over 10 eth.  And a bunch of other coins.   

it’s depressing as fack!  

couldn't agree more with your statements. Crazy thing is even crypto experts with hundreds of thousand follower on youtube got caught by the FTX scandal. They have 7 figured amounts sitting on the FTX exchange and they can't access it. That's quite surprising that even those freaks had to learn their lesson the hard way : NOT YOUR KEYS NOT YOUR COINS. First thing I did when i invested in crypto I bought a cold wallet Nano Ledger and once I bought coins I immediately transferred it to my Ledger Nano in order to keep the coins safe.

Losing money hurts no doubt about it, but as someone with quite some life experience I can tell you that losing money is nothing that should break your heart. Just suck it and then move on - best thing you can do is move forward and look forward.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/22/ftx-delaware-bankruptcy-court-cryptocurrency-sam-bankman-fried

FTX was run as ‘personal fiefdom’ of Sam Bankman-Fried, court hears

Bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange FTX was run as the “personal fiefdom” of founder Sam Bankman-Fried with one of the company’s units spending $300m on real estate in the Bahamas for the use of its executives, a court heard on Tuesday.

The hearing in Delaware’s bankruptcy court is the first since FTX declared bankruptcy earlier this month.

A “substantial amount” of FTX Group’s assets “have either been stolen or are missing”, James Bromley, co-head of the restructuring practice at law firm Sullivan & Cromwell, told judge John Dorsey.

Brady, Curry Reportedly Under Investigation in Texas After FTX Collapse

The Texas State Securities Board has reportedly expanded its investigation into cryptocurrency platform FTX’s operations and its subsequent bankruptcy to now include scrutinizing promotions by celebrities like Tom Brady and Stephen Curry. 

Bloomberg News first reported the development in the investigation, which is looking at possible securities-law violations. The Texas Tribune has confirmed it.

“Anyone who renders investment advice in Texas typically needs to be registered and they typically have to truthfully disclose all known material facts,” said Joe Rotunda, director of enforcement at the Texas State Securities Board, to the Tribune. “In Texas, there is not a different system of justice or regulation for people who are celebrities.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/11/22/brady-curry-reportedly-under-investigation-texas-ftx-collapse?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_5585696

These guys are dropping like flies.  Is the Crypto market going to be exposed as the biggest ponzi scheme and scandal in the history of financial markets?

Cryptocurrency co-founder Tiantian Kullander dies 'unexpectedly' aged 30

Cryptocurrency co-founder Tiantian Kullander has died 'unexpectedly' at the age of 30.

Kullander, who was named in Forbes' prestigious 30-under-30 list in 2019, passed away in his sleep, a spokesman for his company Amber Group said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11476977/Cryptocurrency-founder-Tiantian-Kullander-dies-unexpectedly-aged-30.html?ito=push-notification&ci=VdUduO8AXg&cri=LqTgOoGCUq&si=l0ZeeW8BFH-J&xi=05ebb8ab-baa8-4b12-9baf-4a41a45c6677&ai=11476977

Wow, again.  Some shady sh*t is happening for sure...

Russian billionaire, 53, is killed in helicopter crash near Monaco in latest crypto mystery death - 'after another passenger cancelled at the last minute'

A Russian billionaire has been killed in a helicopter crash near Monaco during good weather - the latest cryptocurrency businessman to die unexpectedly in a matter of weeks.

Businessman Vyacheslav Taran, 53, died after the helicopter plunged to the ground near the resort town of Villefranche-sur-Mer after taking off from Lausanne in Switzerland. 

Mystery has shrouded his death, as the crash occurred during good weather - and after another reportedly passenger cancelled last minute.

Taran is the third cryptocurrency entrepreneur to die unexpectedly in the past few weeks. 

Tiantian Kullander, 30, died  'in his sleep' last week, while fellow crypto millionaire Nikolai Mushegian, 29, drowned on a Puerto Rico beach after tweeting that he feared the CIA and Mossad were going to murder him. 

Taran, the founder of trading and investment platform Libertex and Forex Club, was flying from Lausanne with an experience pilot in a single-engined H130 helicopter when the crash occurred at around 1pm on November 25.

A 35-year-old French pilot was also killed in the helicopter crash. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11480711/Russian-billionaire-53-killed-helicopter-crash-near-Monaco-latest-crypto-mystery-death.html?ito=push-notification&ci=rpvd0bhhLH&cri=_XV-02_zdT&si=l0ZeeW8BFH-J&xi=05ebb8ab-baa8-4b12-9baf-4a41a45c6677&ai=11480711

Never really dabbled in crypto much, sorta kept myself informed and semi-educated, bought and sold a few BTC and ETH ETFs in my broker but thats about all.  Feel bad for everyone with all these exchanges going down where lots of money is being lost instantly. Be interesting to see the future of BTC and blockchain in general.

One guy I worked with sold his apartment in Montreal, and from listening to him sounded like he parked a good majority of it in XRP as he believed it was the future currency of the world.  He was bag holding it back in the summer when we were chatting, not sure what he was down then, but I can only imagine what he could possibly be down now. 

BlackRock’s Fink Says Most Crypto Firms Will Fold Following FTX’s Implosion

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/blackrock-s-fink-says-most-crypto-firms-will-fold-following-ftx-s-implosion/ar-AA14Klxe?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=dc33a426402544ee8f7e00445e64cf50

(Bloomberg) -- BlackRock Inc. Chief Executive Larry Fink said most crypto companies will probably fold in the wake of FTX’s collapse. 

“I actually believe most of the companies are not going to be around,” Fink said Wednesday during a wide-ranging interview at the New York Times DealBook Summit. 

BlackRock, the world’s biggest asset manager, is among financial firms stung by the bankruptcy of the Bahamas-based crypto exchange founded by Sam Bankman-Fried, who’s scheduled to speak at the same event later in the day. BlackRock, which oversees about $8 trillion, invested roughly $24 million in FTX through a vehicle called a fund of funds, said Fink, a long-time skeptic of cryptocurrencies. 

Money managers from Wall Street to Silicon Valley and beyond poured billions of dollars into FTX, pushing its valuation as high as $32 billion before it imploded earlier this month. Firms including Sequoia Capital and Tiger Global Management have since marked down their stakes to zero, as FTX and more than 130 affiliated entities went bust. 

• Haha 1

Sam Bankman-Fried, founder of collapsed crypto exchange FTX, speaking at NY Times event

SBF is not present at the event in person.

Speaking remotely.

Basically saying everything was not his fault, whatever he did wrong it wasn't on purpose etc.

“I wasn’t running Alameda. I didn’t know exactly what was going on … That’s a pretty big mistake … that I wasn’t more aware … I was a nervous about the conflict of interest about being more involved.”

"I didn’t ever try to commit fraud on anybody … I was shocked by what happened this month, & reconstructing it, there were things I wish I could have done differently."

Pathetic stuff. He lost billions for those that trusted him.

sam bankman fried
  • Cheers 1