The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] No Contract Talks Between Mike Santorelli and the Vancouver Canucks

Not a fan of him. That said, the whole team is in a funk for the last ten games. Hard to blame it solely on him. The offence isn't doing enough. The defence is hurting without Edler and Stanton. Lack is showing some growing pains. There's some tough sledding right now.

They shouldn't talk until the end of the season for the Canucks.

We have alot of these 2nd/3rd liners or bottom 6 on our team with a good consistent game. Santorelli, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, and even Kassian and Richardson are good 3rd liners. I think we have enough of these players and not enough gamebreakers.

Maybe dealing a Santorelli/Hansen can get us something better.

Good, no rush to give him a contract. Let him play the year out and show he can be consistent the entire season.

He'd be a good third liner if they don't feel Horvat will be ready. Horvat's too young for AHL if I remember correctly, so it's either the bigs or junior for him. And even if Horvat is ready he should be a reasonably priced utility player with the cap going up. It's also possible they may want a more significant piece with the cap going up.. so he might not be back because of that.

Love his play though. Lots of effort on his part.

They shouldn't talk until the end of the season for the Canucks.

We have alot of these 2nd/3rd liners or bottom 6 on our team with a good consistent game. Santorelli, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, and even Kassian and Richardson are good 3rd liners. I think we have enough of these players and not enough gamebreakers.

Maybe dealing a Santorelli/Hansen can get us something better.

Santo has played like a 2nd liner. Best +/- of all our fwds and is our 4th leading scorer. He has outplayed everyone not named Sedin so far this season. It's hard to argue against that.

Santo has played like a 2nd liner. Best +/- of all our fwds and is our 4th leading scorer. He has outplayed everyone not named Sedin so far this season. It's hard to argue against that.

If Mike Santorelli is consistently in your top-6 you won't win a cup. just look at the past 3 years,

Boston: Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, and Horton.

LA: Kopitar, Richards, Brown, Williams, and Carter.

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa.

All of these players could play on the top line without a doubt.

When you have a team full of fringe 2nd/3rd liners like us (Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Santorelli, Booth) all taking turns playing in the top-6, you need another winger who can consistently put up 55-60+ points, instead of having to rely on the Twins and Kesler carrying the majority of the offence.

I think Santo is another one of those Top 9 forwards that probably belongs more on a 3rd line rather than permanent 2nd line type of role.

I feel the same way with Hansen and Higgins as well. I would like to get another skill true top 6 forward for our team.

Man, Santo has been hard on the puck, up on the forecheck and a pleasant surprise everywhere else. No reason to think its a fluke.

Have we got two way centers coming? Sure, but he's earned his role. I'd be happy starting Horvat on Kess's wing. Then going Hank /Kess/Santorelli/Richardson down the middle next year, Gaunce on the farm. So I'm happy to sign him and make the young guns earn a roster spot!

Debate; has he been better than Higgins? I think so. But of course being a quasi breakout season; 3 years at $2.25?

If Mike Santorelli is consistently in your top-6 you won't win a cup. just look at the past 3 years,

Boston: Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, and Horton.

LA: Kopitar, Richards, Brown, Williams, and Carter.

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa.

All of these players could play on the top line without a doubt.

When you have a team full of fringe 2nd/3rd liners like us (Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Santorelli, Booth) all taking turns playing in the top-6, you need another winger who can consistently put up 55-60+ points, instead of having to rely on the Twins and Kesler carrying the majority of the offence.

He has played like a 2nd liner to me and better than everyone not named Sedin. Yeah it would be nice to have Santo as a 3rd liner, that would give us insane depth. I only disagree with you saying Santorelli is playing like 3rd liner, he's played like a 2nd line Two-way player so far this season. He has the best +/- of all our forwards and like I said is our 4th leading scorer. If we want cup depth we need a good solid player like Santorelli to be our high profile 3rd liner capable of being a solid 2nd liner.

Also, if Hank is injured then we all of sudden run a real risk of not making the play-offs. If that's the case a guy like Santorelli is pretty valuable insurance for a contender looking for some depth - especially if that contender is up against the cap at the deadline. Depending on the trading partner I could see Santorelli getting a 2nd or decent prospect at the deadline...

It's hard. I'm not sure where we should slot him into our lineup anyways next season. I really believe Gillis is throwing this season away, unless he gets a ridiculously good offer.

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian

UFA - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Sestito/Archie - Richardson - ?

zz

We aren't going to not have space for the guy who is fourth on team scoring and barely trailing Kesler (he was even or ahead of Kesler for lots of the season) who is tied for best +/- out of the forwards with Daniel Sedin and is our best FO guy. We have room.

His contract value is extremely volatile. 8 games ago I would have said he could fetch around 3 million on the market now that would be closer to 2 million only 1 points and -5 over that stretch. If he finishes with say 10 points in his next 35 games for 37 points he will have still provided excellent value but would probably have to sign somewhere for 1 million.

I think it is best we wait till the end of the season, I would gamble on his value dropping even further by the time the season ends.

A lot of flash in the pan players sign fairly big contracts, I would be cautious with Santorelli.

Archived