The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

I think we will end up trading Lack. Miller is harder to move, and it makes sense to have Markstrom develop as a backup behind a vet like Miller then take over the starting job once Miller's contract is up.

Agreed 100%. Not a knock against Lack but it's pretty indefensible to make him your starter when you're bringing up a new (but promising backup). I think he'll bring decent value despite the saturated goalie market, since teams know what they're getting. But he's in that twilight zone where he hasn't proven he's good enough to be the guy you rely on. He's a number 1 somewhere, but not a playoff team.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of value, you HAVE to keep Lack. He's just a great goaltender and an amazing human. I'd hate for this management group to start trading away quality for what gets the best value, it's a dark path. Miller is 35, signed as a free agent and he's making 3x our other 2 goalies combined. It's a simple solution, trade Miller for what you can get, and free up the cap space. Will he waive though?

Markstrom is ready for an NHL job, and I'm afraid we'll be burned badly if he's traded. He's only the 2nd goaltender in AHL history to post a shutout in a game 7. He shows up big time, fills the crease with his big frame and is surprisingly agile. We can't risk him on waivers. If Benning's word holds true on his rhetoric regarding opening spots for young players, it's time to prove it by making room for the AHL's top goaltender.

• Upvote 2

As long as we don't have a GM who will make a bad move just to save face.

If Markstrom and Lack are our best options, you find a way to trade Miller. Last thing we need is to give up on another great young goalie because our backs are against the wall.

• Upvote 3

Regardless of value, you HAVE to keep Lack. He's just a great goaltender and an amazing human. I'd hate for this management group to start trading away quality for what gets the best value, it's a dark path. Miller is 35, signed as a free agent and he's making 3x our other 2 goalies combined. It's a simple solution, trade Miller for what you can get, and free up the cap space. Will he waive though?

Markstrom is ready for an NHL job, and I'm afraid we'll be burned badly if he's traded. He's only the 2nd goaltender in AHL history to post a shutout in a game 7. He shows up big time, fills the crease with his big frame and is surprisingly agile. We can't risk him on waivers. If Benning's word holds true on his rhetoric regarding opening spots for young players, it's time to prove it by making room for the AHL's top goaltender.

Sure Markstrom has done all that, but has still yet to prove he can keep up with the NHL pace. Not saying he won't ever catch up but it's not a slam dunk that he will.

Actually I think Miller is moved because he is the best trade value. He could still anchor a team for the duration of his contract. A

2 year deal for a veteran tender should appeal to a few NHL teams. I was hoping that deal was made before the trade deadline as it

might have yielded a 1st Rounder. Not happening now. Van has no 2nd or 3rd round pick so hopefully Miller can fill some holes.

Not that many years ago that Lack and Markstrom were #1 & #2 in the AHL. The NHL is a step up and even tho Markstrom has had

some NHL opportunity with Florida those were pretty bad teams. Love to see Lack with 55 - 60 games and Markstrom with the rest.

It is not rhetoric for Benning to have a goal of more youth and then not think that the youth would not be best served by NHL playing

time. The time line cannot be rigid. Is a Cassels served well by immediate insertion into the Canuck line up next fall? I think not. My

concern is more about where the Canucks will be in 3 or 4 years rather than next season.

Only way Miller is traded is if he is moved to San Jose. This won't happen for several reasons.

1. Pacific division, there are other options in the east for San Jose.

2. Personal relationship with Benning. It's obvious that Benning is deeply in love with Ryan Miller.

3. New baby, the Millers don't wanna move because moving with a baby sucks.

4. Statisticly he isn't any better than the other 5 goalies available on the trade table.

I predict Markstrom will either be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or he will bolt to Europe. We need to waive him to keep him and there is no way he clears waivers this year.

Lack is the other option, but with miller aging and injuries creeping in I see Benning holding onto him.

Only way Miller is traded is if he is moved to San Jose. This won't happen for several reasons.

1. Pacific division, there are other options in the east for San Jose.

2. Personal relationship with Benning. It's obvious that Benning is deeply in love with Ryan Miller.

3. New baby, the Millers don't wanna move because moving with a baby sucks.

4. Statisticly he isn't any better than the other 5 goalies available on the trade table.

I predict Markstrom will either be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or he will bolt to Europe. We need to waive him to keep him and there is no way he clears waivers this year.

Lack is the other option, but with miller aging and injuries creeping in I see Benning holding onto him.

Botchford seems to agree with you. He is not overly impressed with Markstrom. No doubt that Markstrom has to have a very strong

AHL playoff for Benning to consider moving Miller. If he gains that confidence then Benning has to find a trade partner. That wont be easy but I still consider it doable. Maybe a multi player deal would make it work.

Dealing Miller is a leap for Van management. The safer route is dealing Markstrom. Lack and Miller sharing the net might be a

problem which Van is used to by now.

I'm not so sure Markstrom has the mental toughness to be a great goalie. When the pressure is on, he doesn't seem to handle it too well.

Let's see how he bounces back.

Not sure who did the analysis but it was probably Canucks Army. Markstrom after a bad game is pretty much unstoppable. He wasn't great last game, but I fully expect him back in net to make amends.

I'm not so sure Markstrom has the mental toughness to be a great goalie. When the pressure is on, he doesn't seem to handle it too well.

Seems to be that he just has a bad game once in a while (like all goalies). He pretty much always follows up a bad game with a stellar performance...seems that would take some "mental toughness, under pressure".

I won't lose any sleep if we package up Markstrom with other assets to acquire a young player for our roster or to move up on the draft.

It would be nice to give him more time and opportunity but it probably doesn't fit with our timeline, unfortunately.

Rather than dealing him for a straight up pick swap, I can see him going with one or more of Higgins, Juice, Jensen, Corrado, or whoever, to ensure we can get a 2nd this year which we likely wouldn't get for any single player alone.

I'm sure JB will work his angles.

One of two ahl goalies all time to post a shutout in a game 7, but ya he does have his off games for sure

Seems to be that he just has a bad game once in a while (like all goalies). He pretty much always follows up a bad game with a stellar performance...seems that would take some "mental toughness, under pressure".

From the Comets Round 3 playoffs notebook today:

http://www.uticacomets.com/round-3-playoff-notebook/

Jacob Markstrom’s numbers following losses:

Record: 5-0

.964 save%

0.95 GAA

5 GA

1 SO

He’s posted equally as good of numbers when he’s been pulled (or ejected) from the net after starting a game this season. Take a look:

Record: 2-0

.959 save%

1.50 GAA

3 GA

Kept the second part in in case it came up, but the numbers after a loss are pretty damn good. There's no question he has the mental toughness to bounce back, even if he doesn't always bounce back in a game after a bad start.