The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

10 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Dhaliwal is the one on crack.

You think a 30 year old goalie who has ZERO NHL playoff experience is going to jump from $3.67 million, to $6. Which by the way, is Holtby level of Salary? 

He has not won 30 games a season. 

And only has 2 winning seasons so far. 

He turned the corner 2 seasons ago. 

Hellebuyck is 3 years younger. Has had 3 seasons of 30 or more wins (Up to 44!) Has had a winning record for the past 5 seasons. 

And he's getting $6.1+ Million. Oh and he averages 4 shut outs per season over 5 years.

$5.6 I think is more than fair. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dhaliwal is the one on crack.

You think a 30 year old goalie who has ZERO NHL playoff experience is going to jump from $3.67 million, to $6. Which by the way, is Holtby level of Salary? 

He has not won 30 games a season. 

And only has 2 winning seasons so far. 

He turned the corner 2 seasons ago. 

Hellebuyck is 3 years younger. Has had 3 seasons of 30 or more wins (Up to 44!) Has had a winning record for the past 5 seasons. 

And he's getting $6.1+ Million. Oh and he averages 4 shut outs per season over 5 years.

$5.6 I think is more than fair. 

I fall kind of in between. I personally think he's value is probably about $6M and anything under would be a discount, but I wouldn't go as far as Dhaliwal in saying that $6M is the floor.

I will say your Hellebuyck comparison is fairly eye-opening though. He was awarded that salary after finishing 2nd in Vezina voting two years ago. Back then the cap was lower, but only just $2M lower (assuming the cap doesn't change for 2020-21) than currently, so inflation is minor. If we can use Hellebuyck as a comparable, it's probably fair to argue Markstrom deserves more like $6M as a maximum and something like $5.5M would be fair.

The other issue could be that Hellebuyck may be an extreme example of an unusually cheap contract. Gibson might look like a better comparison, as like Markstrom, he's considered underrated due to his bad team and both goalies tied for 10th in Vezina voting last year, after which Gibson signed his current $6.4M contract. The big difference between the two though is age, as Markstrom is about 3.5 years older (5.5 years when considering contract signing ages).

Some of the other expensive goaltender contracts get difficult as comparables due to being much longer/older contracts, like Rask's $7.0M, which was signed back in 2013, with one 7th place Vezina finish. Fleury signed a very expensive $7.0M deal last summer, but his performance has (up until this year), been better than Markstrom's in recent years and he also obviously has a very strong playoff pedigree.

I think trying to compare Markstrom to Price, Lundvist, and Bobrovsky's contracts becomes even harder, as they were all in serious Vezina territory when signing their contracts.

Hotlby's contract is a weird comparable as well because his contract is also old (expiring this year). He signed it after finishing 4th in Vezina voting during 2014-15, back when the cap was only $71.4M, which means it's risen about 14%, so Holtby's $6.1M cap hit inflates to about $6.96M in today's cap environment (again, assuming the same cap as in 2019-20). Like with Gibson though, age is a factor again in that Hotlby was just 25 years old when he signed that contract, another factor.

All in all, I do expect the eventual contract to land around $6M per year unless we have some unique stipulations such as a super short-term deal or something.

Honestly, I think it's really hard to determine what he's going to accept at this point. It could be $6m due to his successful year. It could be $5m due to the whole coronavirus issues. You could literally make a case for a lot of values at this time. You could be right. You could also be wrong.

Simply put: You don't know. I don't know. Even the negotiators might not know. lol This is really one that's up in the air in my opinion due to all of the extra factors in play at the moment.

18 hours ago, The Lock said:

Honestly, I think it's really hard to determine what he's going to accept at this point. It could be $6m due to his successful year. It could be $5m due to the whole coronavirus issues. You could literally make a case for a lot of values at this time. You could be right. You could also be wrong.

Simply put: You don't know. I don't know. Even the negotiators might not know. lol This is really one that's up in the air in my opinion due to all of the extra factors in play at the moment.

Yeah this is going to be an interesting free agency in general, not just with Markstrom :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Kelly using Sportlogiq's tracking technology says the Canucks were one of the worse defensive teams in the league.  He considers Markstrom elite where he is saving the Canucks nearly 1 goal above expectation every 2 games.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 12:44 PM, mll said:

Mike Kelly using Sportlogiq's tracking technology says the Canucks were one of the worse defensive teams in the league.  He considers Markstrom elite where he is saving the Canucks nearly 1 goal above expectation every 2 games.  

If the Canuck's win the cup in the next 5 years it will be because of this guy.

7 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I sure Markstrom is bound to get some attention this off season.

If you believe social media - I know, who does - several teams are looking at Marky.   Detroit and Chicago come to mind immediately as teams I've read have been looking at him from a distance. 

Just now, Fanuck said:

If you believe social media - I know, who does - several teams are looking at Marky.   Detroit and Chicago come to mind immediately as teams I've read have been looking at him from a distance. 

Markstrom would not want to go to Detroit. He just went through exactly this in Vancouver, if anything, Markstrom wants to be on a team where he actually have a chance to win.

Chicago is an interesting case, they do have some really good young players in Kubalik and Dach. Boqvist is expected to be better as well. Do they have the right young players to turn it around?

I still believe Marky stays in Vancouver. Recent videos on Miller reading starting line up and their celebration after the OT win tells me this is a tight team and players wants to remain here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Markstrom would not want to go to Detroit. He just went through exactly this in Vancouver, if anything, Markstrom wants to be on a team where he actually have a chance to win.

Chicago is an interesting case, they do have some really good young players in Kubalik and Dach. Boqvist is expected to be better as well. Do they have the right young players to turn it around?

I still believe Marky stays in Vancouver. Recent videos on Miller reading starting line up and their celebration after the OT win tells me this is a tight team and players wants to remain here.

I think he does love Vancouver but it's tough to convince someone to stay when others are offering bigger, longer contracts.  Hopefully his value does not balloon during free agency, but it shouldn't.

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Everyone wants to believe their guy won't be the one to leave just because of money but I've seen it far too often not to know it's a definite possibility. 

Yzerman could imo, easily lure Marky with a 'career defining' contract in both term & dollars - something JB won't necessarily be able to do.

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Everyone wants to believe their guy won't be the one to leave just because of money but I've seen it far too often not to know it's a definite possibility. 

Yzerman could imo, easily lure Marky with a 'career defining' contract in both term & dollars - something JB won't necessarily be able to do.

If Markstrom is going for retirement money, Detroit is the place. It will be hard to convince him to go to another rebuilding team while he just went through a long rebuild here in Vancouver. By the time Detroit comes out of the rebuilt, is Markstrom still in his current form?

I could other teams who have atleast a chance to be a playoff team throw him the right contract and he might bite on it, but that team won't be Detroit.