The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I saw Marky couldn't see the puck in a lot of the goals. But fans here whined about bad goaltending anyway. 

So they will whine when Demko is screened also... 

Think about it... The ice was bad as they say. That means it's harder to get control of the puck, harder to use skill to score.

Demko did some marvelous saves but he also had a lot of luck. 

The team also defended very well around him. The last game was worst. 

Anyway, to get rid of Marky after such small sample of games is just ridiculus. We need them both to compete next year and I want play offs next year also. 

Are you kidding me? Markstrom was letting in goals that were from the blue-line with no screens. Demko was screened and making big saves.  I honestly don't know what you were watching cause it clearly was not the Canucks. Demko had luck? Are you kidding me? There was like one post.. Markstrom whiffed on multiple easy saves that ended up hitting posts. Not only that he had a few go off the knob of his stick.. Markstrom had a ton of goal support as well. Demko had nothing. Demko had to stop every shot to win and that is what he did. I have seen almost every game that Markstrom has played as a Canucks and I have never seen him play as well as Demko did in those 3 games. Demko looked inhuman. He looked like Carey Price. 

We aren't getting rid of Markstrom we are not re-signing him because there is an expansion draft coming up and Markstrom will not want to be exposed to it and We are not losing Demko to keep a 31 year old goaltender who just recently established himself as a starter and has never played as well as our rookie 24 year old goalie just did. Demko just did what no one thought he could. 

Edited by peaches5

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Are you kidding me? Markstrom was letting in goals that were from the blue-line with no screens. Demko was screened and making big saves.  I honestly don't know what you were watching cause it clearly was not the Canucks. Demko had luck? Are you kidding me? There was like one post.. Markstrom whiffed on multiple easy saves that ended up hitting posts. Not only that he had a few go off the knob of his stick.. Markstrom had a ton of goal support as well. Demko had nothing. Demko had to stop every shot to win and that is what he did. I have seen almost every game that Markstrom has played as a Canucks and I have never seen him play as well as Demko did in those 3 games. Demko looked inhuman. He looked like Carey Price. 

We aren't getting rid of Markstrom we are not re-signing him because there is an expansion draft coming up and Markstrom will not want to be exposed to it and We are not losing Demko to keep a 31 year old goaltender who just recently established himself as a starter and has never played as well as our rookie 24 year old goalie just did. Demko just did what no one thought he could. 

I repeat what another poster wrote... What if Demko ends up with under 0.91 in regular season? 

Then, why didn't Demko show these qualities when he stepped in when Marky was injuried? 

Is it you and a lot of other fans over reacting??? 

Demko did a lot of really good saves, similar to what I've seen Marky do a lot of games. So I'm not sure what games you watched if you not seen them from Marky... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I repeat what another poster wrote... What if Demko ends up with under 0.91 in regular season? 

Then, why didn't Demko show these qualities when he stepped in when Marky was injuried? 

Is it you and a lot of other fans over reacting??? 

Demko did a lot of really good saves, similar to what I've seen Marky do a lot of games. So I'm not sure what games you watched if you not seen them from Marky... 

You can blame Green. He made it clear that Markstrom was the starter even when Demko was playing well and then Demko was forced into a starting position where I am sure he thought I have to elite or I am going to be back on the bench and I think he just tried to do too much and didn't play his game. In the playoffs he played his game showed that pressure isn't going to get to him or he isn't going allow it to cost him to net. Demko quickly adapted after playing mediocre in the regular season and that is what elite pro's do. As I said Markstrom makes big saves because he gets way out of position. Demko made big saves when he needed not because of mistakes he made. Demko played flawlessly something Markstrom has never done. Markstrom is more of a battler and Demko just makes it look easy as I said he looked a lot like Carey Price. He just ripped this team right away from Markstrom. This is Demko's team. You don't do what he just did and then give the team to Markstrom. Markstrom is not Luongo or Miller some bonafide starting goalie. This was the first year people have said he is a starting goalie. 

Demko has shown that he can be the best goalie in this league. There is no overreacting. Markstrom is a UFA and our rookie goalie just showed that under extreme pressure he can play at an elite level. Markstrom didn't even come close to that this playoffs.

Markstrom had an MVP season for Vancouver this year. He finished 7th in Vezina votes and out of every single goalie in the league, he allowed the FEWEST clear sight shots in, a clear sight shot is when a shooter is in position with half a second of clear vision on the puck before it was released. Markstrom didn’t allow one of those to get past him.

Marky would like to stay in Vancouver, his best chance of staying is by signing a 1 year deal to avoid the ED. After the draft he can re-sign with Vancouver and both sides can agree on a fair contract in both term and dollar

In the 1 year contract, 60/40 split between Marky-Demko  we will be able to evaluate Demko with a larger scale of games played. We are able to protect both goalies due to a 1 year contract from the Seattle draft. After the expansion draft, we work out a fair deal for both Vancouvers future and Marky's value.  A goalie under contract is far more valuable than a goalie who is a pending UFA. So if we are able to re-sign Marky after the draft, Depending on how each goalie performs, we can move the goalie who loses the starting job if we need to. if we let Marky walk, Marky, there is not much to back up Demko if he is to miss any chunk of time. Can you imagine this playoff run, without Marky and having Demko go down for the same amount of games as Markstrom. Domingue would be the next guy in net. We NEED a 1a 1b sort of goaltending duo in order to succeed. Injuries are a thing and we cant get by on luck forever, we need the proper players in place for those circumstances, and Domingue is not that guy, nor is DiPietro ready for that. Ideally I would like us to find a way to keep both Demko and Markstrom, and in a few years allow Demko to slowly take on more games each year until he is the permanent #1 with Markstrom moving towards back up as his career approaches the decline and having DiPietro marinating in the minors and ready to be called upon to start his NHL career

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Your own logic is absolutely being used against you. You're saying Demko will get "exposed". Markstrom got exposed. How do you know if Markstrom will be able to overcome this? Markstrom is nowhere near as good as Demko is positionally. Markstrom has been an NHL starter for 1.5 seasons and that is a stretch too considering he got injured this year and only played 43 games. Demko's style is based on his positioning and how efficient he is at it like Carey Price. Markstrom gets out of position all the time and then needs to scramble to get back, which causes him to make huge saves. Vegas was eating him alive and with Demko and his efficient positioning and flawless glove and blocker he was an absolute wall. The only thing you can do against a goalie like that is take his eyes away. Demko was seeing the puck very well through traffic as well. 

Now you are saying we don't know how the room will respond if a UFA isn't resigned? When another teammate just took them to a game 7 against a far superior opponent and almost sent them to the western finals himself... are you kidding me? Every single one of those players in that room knows that Demko is the reason why they even had a chance at winning that game. Just look at Virtanens comments.. "Demko is making it easy for us to win." The Vegas players were at a loss of words over Demko's play and you think making this guy your number 1 goalie is going to lose the room... 

Had a long detailed post written up and battery died annoyingly.

however reading through the rest of the thread people have picked up what I’m saying.

No one is saying Demko is bad, you just seem to be on a he could walk on water crusade. 

3 games is a small sample size, during the regular season when we played the same D system in front of him and marky he didn’t perform as well. Post season we tighten up to more of a collapse in front of the next and clear rebounds. This helps a goalie massively. (Both marky and Demko) the true test is regular season. I wouldn’t be to hasty with him. I would expect both Demko and Hart to do well next season but also would expect them both to him a pretty bad streaky patch as well due to the rigours of the regular season travel and schedule. 

ideal world we get Marky for 2 more years (and have him exposed rather than Demko) and move from a starter back up to a 1a, 1B and then flip the role the following year.

however marky deserves his payout whether it’s here or somewhere else as it’s his last chance for one. 

also with the comment about losing the dressing room. I didn’t say making Demko the starter would cause that, more so it depends on what the narrative from the Marky contract is. If he wants to stay and looks fair on term and cost and we then turn him lose it may question the level of loyalty between management as players. If however it’s Marky wanting 6-8 mill for 6+ years or something like that it’s a different story.

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Had a long detailed post written up and battery died annoyingly.

however reading through the rest of the thread people have picked up what I’m saying.

No one is saying Demko is bad, you just seem to be on a he could walk on water crusade. 

3 games is a small sample size, during the regular season when we played the same D system in front of him and marky he didn’t perform as well. Post season we tighten up to more of a collapse in front of the next and clear rebounds. This helps a goalie massively. (Both marky and Demko) the true test is regular season. I wouldn’t be to hasty with him. I would expect both Demko and Hart to do well next season but also would expect them both to him a pretty bad streaky patch as well due to the rigours of the regular season travel and schedule. 

ideal world we get Marky for 2 more years (and have him exposed rather than Demko) and move from a starter back up to a 1a, 1B and then flip the role the following year.

however marky deserves his payout whether it’s here or somewhere else as it’s his last chance for one. 

also with the comment about losing the dressing room. I didn’t say making Demko the starter would cause that, more so it depends on what the narrative from the Marky contract is. If he wants to stay and looks fair on term and cost and we then turn him lose it may question the level of loyalty between management as players. If however it’s Marky wanting 6-8 mill for 6+ years or something like that it’s a different story.

The expansion draft is next year and there is no way in hell Markstrom is signing without a NMC for that year. You're going to have to make a Theodore like trade to keep Demko which is incredibly stupid when you can just let Markstrom walk and sign a veteran goalie which there are plenty of. These aren't 3 regular season games these are 3 of the most insane pressure situations games where he absolutely dominated. Vancouver had no business even being in any of those 3 games he played. Vancouver was completely outmatched and Demko kept them in it. The only goalie capable of doing what he just did is Carey Price. 

6 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The expansion draft is next year and there is no way in hell Markstrom is signing without a NMC for that year. You're going to have to make a Theodore like trade to keep Demko which is incredibly stupid when you can just let Markstrom walk and sign a veteran goalie which there are plenty of. These aren't 3 regular season games these are 3 of the most insane pressure situations games where he absolutely dominated. Vancouver had no business even being in any of those 3 games he played. Vancouver was completely outmatched and Demko kept them in it. The only goalie capable of doing what he just did is Carey Price. 

And the exact same argument could be made for Marky through this post season as well. Markstrom is worth a lot on the open market for a reason. 

the fact is we all assume here that Seattle will take demko if not protected (it’s a high chance but it depends what other teams do as well) 

also what I posited above wasn’t what I think will happen just an ideal world (aka purely hypothetical)I think you need to read what I and others are posting rather than jumping on anyone who doesn’t bow down before the altar of TD. 

If Demko plays like he did during the regular season next season there is a chance we miss the playoffs. You cannot take a same size of 3 games (yes high pressure) but three games where the team played defensively and that being the only 3 games he has played in 6 months. 

we do not yet know if the Demko we saw is sustainable  over the rigours of a regular season. That is not a criticism it’s a reality, so for JB to risk losing Marky is a big gamble. 

and by the nature of these very boards will be slated each and every day whichever decision he makes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

And the exact same argument could be made for Marky through this post season as well. Markstrom is worth a lot on the open market for a reason. 

the fact is we all assume here that Seattle will take demko if not protected (it’s a high chance but it depends what other teams do as well) 

also what I posited above wasn’t what I think will happen just an ideal world (aka purely hypothetical)I think you need to read what I and others are posting rather than jumping on anyone who doesn’t bow down before the altar of TD. 

If Demko plays like he did during the regular season next season there is a chance we miss the playoffs. You cannot take a same size of 3 games (yes high pressure) but three games where the team played defensively and that being the only 3 games he has played in 6 months. 

we do not yet know if the Demko we saw is sustainable  over the rigours of a regular season. That is not a criticism it’s a reality, so for JB to risk losing Marky is a big gamble. 

and by the nature of these very boards will be slated each and every day whichever decision he makes.

No. It absolutely could not. Markstrom looked shaky as &^@# even in the games he ended up playing well in. Demko looked like he was going to stop absolutely everything from the moment the puck drop. He was not lucky in any of his games it was all skill and superb goaltending. 

We don't know if Demko is Sustainable? Markstrom got injured and then injured again in the playoffs. He is 31 and never had a full season as a bonafide number 1. This notion that Demko can't play a full season is ridiculous and would only have merit if we had a guy like Luongo or Miller playing in front of him who have the credentials and history of being a career number 1 goalie. 

10 minutes ago, J-P said:

You can just keep it simple. Demko was average at best during regular season, Marky was at  another level . In he playoffs Marky was great for 15 games and demko was even better for 3 games. That's it for benni g.

Demko was being asked to come in after weeks of not playing during the regular season and play some of the toughest games on the schedule. It’s not really a comparable sample.

6 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Can you imagine this playoff run, without Marky and having Demko go down for the same amount of games as Markstrom. Domingue would be the next guy in net. We NEED a 1a 1b sort of goaltending duo in order to succeed. Injuries are a thing and we cant get by on luck forever, we need the proper players in place for those circumstances, and Domingue is not that guy, nor is DiPietro ready for that. 

I'm not sure why I keep reading this/similar sentiment.

If management walks from Marky and anoints Demko, we'll be signing a '1B' vet like a Greiss (or similar) in the offseason.

That alone likely saves $2-$4m of cap, making it mighty tempting.

That said, I have zero idea what management is going to do but it's a good 'problem' to have (too many good players).

If you asked me a week ago, I would have said we were re-signing Marky and likely moving Demko to either clear cap or gain assets elsewhere. This week...

On a positive note, Demko's play has given Benning a FAR bigger hammer in Marky's negotiation.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

^^^ that.  Hopefully he can still sign Marky without a NMC or NTC.

As we have found out over this past season, always better to have two great goalies than just one.  I think with Demko's emergence in the 3 games has given the management a settling notion they don't have to feel at the mercy of Marky's agent.

Ultimately, I still think Marky signs for less, I find it so odd how people are willing to quickly move on from our teams MVP.  I get cost and context blah blah blah, but this team is nothing without Marky this season.

I found Burkie's comments about the trend to platooning NHL goaltending. Teams don't want the money tied up in a #1 tender with the risk of duration and injury. Markstrom does have an injury history. This is particularly important as the team is entering their serious CUP contention period in 2 seasons. If Markstrom is willing to give a little CAP in exchange for some duration it might work. Benning has to tighten down the NTC and NMC. Players will want to come to Van over the next 3-4 years.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I found Burkie's comments about the trend to platooning NHL goaltending. Teams don't want the money tied up in a #1 tender with the risk of duration and injury. Markstrom does have an injury history. This is particularly important as the team is entering their serious CUP contention period in 2 seasons. If Markstrom is willing to give a little CAP in exchange for some duration it might work. Benning has to tighten down the NTC and NMC. Players will want to come to Van over the next 3-4 years.  

Especially with goalies being such Voodoo. Marky could play at/near Vezina quality as he has the last two years, and the next two years, and then barely be able to stop a beach ball.

Same for Demko. He looked all world these last three games and improved steadily over the season but he also has had concussion issues and history is littered with young, promising goalies who had one or two good years and then fell off a cliff to mediocre backups/AHL depth.

Hopefully this is another area where locking up Ian Clarke will pay benefits. I'd imagine he'll have a large voice in what happens with the goal tending moving forward.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Rumor has it, talks aren't going well between Marky's camp and Vancouver brass so it looks to be a definite possibility, maybe even likely.

All part of the negotiation dance.

Canucks want Markstrom on a contract with a lower AAV.

Markstrom likely wants a NMC built in.

If Markstrom accepts a deal under 6 million I’m sure he’ll get his wish. If he wants a 7 million dollar plus deal it ain’t happening.

I too think that the only way Benning signs Markstrom is without the protection of NM / NT clauses attached and is left the unprotected goalie in the Extorsion Draft.

Regardless ,  I see Demko possibly seeing no less than 40 % of games started next season.

Its a great problem to have.    ...and Markstrom should be happy he was believed in long enough to get to the level of play he did with us, regardless of him staying or leaving.   

Personally I think JM loves Vancouver, and is humble enough to be able to work something out to stay..  but again, I can not see Demko being the goalie exposed..  the only other goalie I’ve seen that plays that icy cold is Price.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Edler was going to walk too.

Edler was coming off a big money contract though. Different in Marky's case as this is likely his last chance to sign a big money contract.  Don't see him offering much (if any) of a discount (even in light of today's cap environment).

Probably end up unfortunately being a cap casualty.  And Demko's post-season performance I think pretty much sealed that.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan