The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To all the people shouting "yes" and getting excited- at least have some respect. You may not like everything or very little MG has done during his tenure as GM, but you can't argue that he was a very loyal employee to the franchise and like Torts has said worked his ass off to try and improve the team.

Yes, I am a total homer. I get pretty sentimental about anyone brought into the Canucks organization that has some integrity and personable quality traits.

If the Canucks are going to drastically change things up- now is the time to do it.

Gillis said he wouldn't ask anyone to waive their NTC. My guess is that this now clears the way for someone new to come in and implement their own systems and where necessary ask players to waive.

Going to be an interesting summer!

Yes, that's a good point.

Maybe they will bring in a "Grim reaper" GM.

But in that case it won't be Linden,

Remember, Linden has some good friends still on the team, Kesler and Bieksa in particular. That might affect bringing Trev into the mix at this time.

One of my biggest concerns is this. The owners want to sell tickets and next year was going to be an issue. Something had to be done in order to give fans an unknown, something to "see"...reason to buy in. So a reactionary thing is to stay onside with them and give them what they chant for...hey, they want this so let's keep the ticket buyers happy. People will be "excited" now....they'll want to see. They'll "believe" all over again.

Obviously, owners want the best for the team but running right alongside of that is their desire for people to keep showing up. So motives are split in that they obviously are scrambling to make sure those tickets are sold next year. We'll now get the "new and improved" campaign. I'll reserve judgement until I see what unfolds....

Sorry, I'm a bit of a party crasher that way.

Thank you, finally someone catches on.

Renewal for season tix is April 9th people...fire MG before that = people will renew..

Guy misses the playoffs 1 year in his entire run as GM after having the most success this franchise has ever seen & ownership fires him HAHAHAHA.

What a joke this ownership group is.

Deadline for season ticket renewals is April. 9th look at the date today. This ownership is going to lose a lot more money from this firing in the long term just a bad bad move.

Ownership is the problem.

i'm ok with this as long as it doesn't mean tortorella keeps his job.

if he's the coach at the beginning of next year, i won't be watching. that's not something i've ever considered in my two decades of being a fan, but another year of that bush league has-been is not an option for me.

I thought you wanted Gillis fired MJD?

I did.

But never did I think for a minute that the owner would decide to remain the defacto GM and hire Jay Feaster as a puppet to lead this team going forward.

My whole reason for supporting MG's firing was to hopefully bring in a bright and respected GM that would be able to push back on the ownerships meddling in hockey op's.

What we're seeing now is the complete opposite in my view, with the owners now putting themselves in position to actually become even more involved.

This is not a good situation at all.

Brace yourselves people. Feaster is officially the front runner for the GM position.

If this is the case prepare for two things.

We will draft a 3rd round selection with our 1st round pick.

And Olli Jokinnen will be a Canuck before the beginning of the season.

Aquillini has shown in the past that he likes to give his GMs a lengthy term to try to implement a plan, so he better make the right damn choice with the replacement. I never thought Gillis was that bad, he is just terrible at making good trades and changes his plans around too much to follow other successful teams. BRing on a trend setter not a follower.

i'm ok with this as long as it doesn't mean tortorella keeps his job.

if he's the coach at the beginning of next year, i won't be watching. that's not something i've ever considered in my two decades of being a fan, but another year of that bush league has-been is not an option for me.

I think he should get another year, gillis gave him nothing he was set up to fail.

I think Gillis did a great job with the Canucks. Say what you will about his drafting, but he's managed to amass a pretty solid propsect pool for the Canucks...something we didn't have before he got here.

He may not have been the best at making trades but he managed to sign a lot of players to bargain deals and he was excellent at cap management. I hope we keep Gilman...

Thanks for all the years of hard work Gillis!

Archived