The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ooo another delusional gillis fan. news flash. he is the worse gm in our history. he dismantled this team.see treatment of Luongo and our return for 2 elite goalies to answer your next question

Feaster +1 for the haters!!!!

I did.

But never did I think for a minute that the owner would decide to remain the defacto GM and hire Jay Feaster as a puppet to lead this team going forward.

My whole reason for supporting MG's firing was to hopefully bring in a bright and respected GM that would be able to push back on the ownerships meddling in hockey op's.

What we're seeing now is the complete opposite in my view, with the owners now putting themselves in position to actually become even more involved.

This is not a good situation at all.

Be careful what you wish for....

I swear to god I cannot wait to see the bulk of you cheering about Gillis being canned doing a quick 180 when feaster is announced as the GM

You're going to be crying for a LONG time

Feaster takes over it will make Keenan years look good in comparison

HAHA I can't even tell if people in this thread are generally happy or sad that Gillis is fired, too many polarizing views..

I for one am kinda sad that he's fired, because this gives me the feeling that Tortorella is here to stay, unless if the new GM is absolutely against having Torts as our coach.

This was a really weird season, a lot of bad luck and injuries, and of course our team was atrocious understanding the "system" overall, but I don't think Gillis should have been fired for this alone. I think it was a move by Aquilini in order to get more fans on boat to renew season tickets since apparently they had drastically dropped. Pretty terrible knee jerk move if you ask me, and if this had anything to do with the "Fire Gillis" chants yesterday, then that's pretty stupid as well.

Was really hoping to see Torts be the first one to leave.. I don't know if I can watch another season with Torts behind the bench.

i'm ok with this as long as it doesn't mean tortorella keeps his job.

if he's the coach at the beginning of next year, i won't be watching. that's not something i've ever considered in my two decades of being a fan, but another year of that bush league has-been is not an option for me.

Sad how torts reputation preceeded him but noone wanted to believe it would continue. The dude is from old school punish your best players into subservience camp, he's a dinosaur in sports coaching

Not really a fan of the idea of bringing in Feaster or Burke, but I'd prefer it to bringing in Trevor Linden. I think it would be a huge mistake to bring in an inexperienced GM.

I'd be okay with Nicholson or Nazzy, but quite honestly, I'd prefer Gilman.

I know the prevailing sentiment is that the GM and assistant GMs are joined at the hip, but I don't really see it that way. Every team needs a Capologist, which Gilman is and he has spent time as an assistant, which is something I feel every GM should do.

Look at Yzerman and Jim Nill. They did their time working under Ken Holland and look where they are now.

What???

We won the presidents trophy again in 2012, and lost in the first round cause our best player was out from an incredibly dirty cheapshot.

Last year was the year where we took a step back, it was clearly time to reshift and refocus the organization.

That started this season, and it tooked to have some promise before massive injuries slowed this team in its tracks that left most of the players played remarkably bad in the 2nd half. But either way reshifting this organization wasn't going to happen overnight, they had to have some patience & atleast given him the 2nd year to follow through on what he started at the draft.

Forget everyone else, forget missing the playoffs, most of the bad stuff that has happened involving Gillis has been bad luck. And thats the truth not an excuse. Think about it.

In the middle of trading a valuable asset in Luongo a lockout happens, a new CBA is brought in and the CBA destroyed that asset's value which forced him into dealing Schneider. Thats the goalie situation.

Then you have this season where the team was going well, and they hit a massive amount of injuries that derailed the season and we couldn't come back from it. And so-on and so-forth.

I've not a fan of everything Gillis has done, but to me its the wrong time. This to me is the beginning of the downward spiral, it didn't start 3 year ago. Get ready to pick McDavid next year.

Sorry I don't agree one bit. It started after 2011, we couldn't score in the SCF and what was done about it? 2012 yeah we won the Presiden'ts trophy but got destroyed in 5 games by the 8th place team. Last year got swept. This year no playoffs. You can't see the drastic decline?

We are the same team for the past 4 seasons including this one, but nothing has been to improve since 2011. All Gillis does is sign the typical "project" grinder player,

ooo another delusional gillis fan. news flash. he is the worse gm in our history. he dismantled this team.see treatment of Luongo and our return for 2 elite goalies to answer your next question

I'm far from delusional.

The timing is poor if the ownership doesn't have a replacement who is a definite upgrade. I'm skeptical about that point.

This doesn't seem like a planned move. This seems reactionary and more aligned to ticket sales than hockey operations.

I'm seriously concerned about the owners of this team right now.. They are a larger potential problem than MG ever was.

Foolish words from a reliable source ..

I did.

But never did I think for a minute that the owner would decide to remain the defacto GM and hire Jay Feaster as a puppet to lead this team going forward.

My whole reason for supporting MG's firing was to hopefully bring in a bright and respected GM that would be able to push back on the ownerships meddling in hockey op's.

What we're seeing now is the complete opposite in my view, with the owners now putting themselves in position to actually become even more involved.

This is not a good situation at all.

so who were you expecting to replace Gillis?

Sad how torts reputation preceeded him but noone wanted to believe it would continue. The dude is from old school punish your best players into subservience camp, he's a dinosaur in sports coaching

Yes, unfortunately those of us who said this at the beginning of the season were met with lots of flack. I would never wish a bad season on the Canucks, however if anything this past season was validating for those of us who were skeptical.

Archived