The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draisaitl vs Dal Colle

JohnLocke

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Dasein

I'm going with Dal Colle as well, and the fact him and Cassels have chemistry together is great. Imagine these guys developing together.

But Draisaitl doesn't need chemistry...

44 more points than next guy on his team, 61 more than 3rd guy.

He can create with ANYONE or by himself. Who would you rather have?

Guest Dasein

No ones touching Yakupov unless they give him away.

Then Gagner. Or both.

Hall

Eberle

RNH

Perron

Gagner

Yakupov

They can afford to give away 2 of those for a power forward/defensive 2nd line center they desperately need. Other than Hall, the next 5 are all undersized skill forwards.

They could trade down to where we are #6, which would mean they get the power forward of their choice since all 3 are likely available at #6. Or, they draft Draisaitl to be their #2 (arguably #1 in a few years over RNH), and trade Gagner and Yakupov (possibly as a package, or separately) to add size on their roster.

Hall - RNH - Eberle

_____ - Draisaitl - Perron

Obviously the player coming back needs to be a veteran that can lead that inexperienced group that they have. And then they need to seriously address their lacking in defense.

He is very good, totally agree with you there. I just like how Dal Colle is very close to being NHL ready, big strong guys with an excellent shot. I guess I just have a preference for power forwards like Kassian atm as I would like to see the Canucks with bigger but talented players in the pipeline. I like Virtanen for the same reasons but if the Canucks chose Draisaitl because they believe he is the BPA I would be happy with that as well.

He is very good, totally agree with you there. I just like how Dal Colle is very close to being NHL ready, big strong guys with an excellent shot. I guess I just have a preference for power forwards like Kassian atm as I would like to see the Canucks with bigger but talented players in the pipeline. I like Virtanen for the same reasons but if the Canucks chose Draisaitl because they believe he is the BPA I would be happy with that as well.

Draisaitl is no slouch himself he's pretty big and heavier then Dal Colle already. He could possibly be NHL ready.

Since Linden said they'll likely get a big strong winger I'm betting that if neither of these guys fall we'll likely see one of Ritchie or Virtanen in a Canucks Uniform which will still be a plus but I hope Dal Colle drops.

Guest Dasein

If Dal Colle is there at #6, the Canucks should thank their lucky stars and run to the podium faster than Mike Gillis giving out a NTC on a contract.

Really he is the only one of the top 5 I could see dropping down to us if a team goes off the board.

Highly doubt it, so I really want to see us trade up to move into the top 5 because afterwards it's a crapshoot.

Guest Dasein

I personally like Draisaitl more because he is a center, and we don't have a skilled center behind Henrik are going to need one soon. Yes, Bo is great and he's compared to the likes of Kesler, Richards, Bergeron and Toews, but let's not kid ourselves: Kesler has Henrik, Richards has Kopitar (who Draisaitl is compared to), Bergeron has Krejci, and Toews is a cut above that Horvat has a very slim chance of reaching. Bo is going to need someone who can produce offense in front of him, and Draisaitl could be that guy. Or, at the very least, we need 2 other guys near Horvat's level so we can roll 3 deep lines with great wingers that can score any given moment (could be the case with Cassels and Gaunce).

The one thing that tilts me towards Dal Colle is the age - he's 10 months younger than Draisaitl. But I just see Draisaitl as thinking the game differently and attacking more diversely than Dal Colle. Dal Colle is better at putting pucks in net, but Draisaitl is a better playmaker. Not saying which is better, but I think organizational needs are in the favour of Draisaitl. Of course, you should never pick by organizational needs and go for BPA, but BPA should also prefer Draisaitl over Dal Colle, based on performance. But the fact that Dal Colle is almost a full year younger should be taken into consideration - and that makes it tough.

EDIT: On second thought, not so sure. I just realized Draisaitl is only 6'1" and probably not gonna grow. He seems to depend on his size to ward off WHL defensemen to buy some time, but I'm not sure if he's going to able to do that at the NHL level. Dal Colle is 6'2" and will fill out as he's younger, but Draisaitl what you see now is pretty much what you get (perhaps with better skating through training). Definitely a tough call.

Still leaning towards Draisaitl but Dal Colle makes a lot of sense. Seems like the safer pick for sure.

I'd take Dal Colle myself. Draisaitl is great and all but the more high end Canadians we can get the better. It really is a toss up on who will be the better player in the long run. If I'm building to win it all and you got a chance to draft a real high end Canadian winger or a big German skilled centre, I take the Canadian every time.

Maybe not every time haha if it happened three years in a row I'd take 2 Dal Colle's and then a big German centre.

I firmly believe we've really been doing it right the last couple years. Drafting big Canadians with major heart. If we draft Dal Colle our future top six is 5 Canadians all good size except shinkaruk, but even he plays bigger than he is.

Dal Colle Horvat Kassian

Shinkaruk Gaunce/Cassels Jensen

all that says to me is that he doesn't make his linemates better.

Guest Dasein

I'd take Dal Colle myself. Draisaitl is great and all but the more high end Canadians we can get the better. It really is a toss up on who will be the better player in the long run. If I'm building to win it all and you got a chance to draft a real high end Canadian winger or a big German skilled centre, I take the Canadian every time.

Maybe not every time haha if it happened three years in a row I'd take 2 Dal Colle's and then a big German centre.

I firmly believe we've really been doing it right the last couple years. Drafting big Canadians with major heart. If we draft Dal Colle our future top six is 5 Canadians all good size except shinkaruk, but even he plays bigger than he is.

Dal Colle Horvat Kassian

Shinkaruk Gaunce/Cassels Jensen

That is so ignorant.

Since the lockout, half of the teams that won the Stanley Cup (4 of 8) did it with at least one top 6 European center in their lineup.

2006 Carolina - no European top 6 centers (E Staal, Brind'amour)

2007 Anaheim - no European top 6 centers (Macdonald, Getzlaf) - note, however, that they had Pahlsson on their 3rd line who got Conn Smythe considerations

2008 Detroit - 2 European top 6 centers (Zetterberg, Datsyuk/Filppula) - note that Zetterberg won the Conn Smythe and tied for 1st in playoff scoring

2009 Pittsburgh - 1 European top 6 center (Crosby, Malkin) - note that Malkin also won the Conn Smythe and led the playoffs in scoring

2010 Chicago - no European top 6 centers (Toews, Sharp/Bolland)

2011 Boston - 1 European top 6 center (Krejci, Bergeron) - note that Krejci led the playoffs in scoring

2012 Los Angeles - 1 European top 6 center (Kopitar, Richards) - note that Kopitar tied for 1st in playoff scoring

2013 Chicago - no European top 6 centers (Toews, Bolland)

Other than Anaheim, Carolina and Chicago (2X), 4 different teams won with at least 1 European top 6 center who led the playoffs in scoring. This goes to prove, in my opinion, your intuition that Europeans have don't have the "heart" that Canadians do.

Most teams have at least 1 top-6 Canadian center (except for the 2008 Detroit Red Wings - who had Datsyuk - arguably the best defensive forward at the time) that play a solid 2-way game. We have that in Horvat. We have talented winger prospects in Kassian, Jensen and Shinkaruk. What we don't have is a skilled playmaking center who can be depended on for offense after Henrik is gone. The above tells me the nationality of a player of this calibre does not matter, as those who passed on Kopitar found out pretty quickly. Draisaitl is drawing comparisons to Kopitar. Dal Colle is great, but both organizational needs and conventional wisdom say Draisaitl is the BPA.

That being said, I'll be just as happy if Dal Colle dropped to us, but if we had to choose, we should get Draisaitl.

Guest Dasein

Actually, I looked at the team stats just now, and the fact that Draisaitl is head and above all his teammates may not be indicative of his play, but rather of Josh Morrissey's.

If you look at Draisaitl's highlights, Morrissey, a defenseman, is often involved, either on the power play or by joining the rush. Morrissey is the 2nd highest point producer on the Prince Albert Raiders, with Draisaitl's LW and RW getting 3rd and 4th most. I think Morrissey's constant involvement in the Raiders attack might explain why Draisaitl's point total is so much higher than everyone else's: it gets distributed 4-way because Morrissey joins the attack all the time.

It tells you firstly that Morrissey is quite the offensive talent from the backend and that secondly, the Raiders attack revolves around Draisaitl, as he seems to be the guy that touches the puck the most among these top 4 players.

In 2010-11

H. Sedin - 94 points in 82 games

D. Sedin - 104 points in 82 games

Burrows - 48 points in 72 games

I guess Henrik and Daniel don't carry their third linemate? Might as well trade them immediately.

Actually a lot of Canucks fans are having Ehler boners. So actually a lot the crazies will actually prefer Ehlers who has Bure's speed and Naslund's skill set. (Which is not even true btw, it's not even close)

Ehlers at 11. nice. Hope this is a good reference to canucks fans that using a 6th pick on this kid is really not worth it, and will be considered extremely dangerous move.

what's an ehler boner?

• 1 month later...

Actually a lot of Canucks fans are having Ehler boners. So actually a lot the crazies will actually prefer Ehlers who has Bure's speed and Naslund's skill set. (Which is not even true btw, it's not even close)

Ehlers at 11. nice. Hope this is a good reference to canucks fans that using a 6th pick on this kid is really not worth it, and will be considered extremely dangerous move.

but it has nylander at 5 and ritchie at 9 and virtanen at 10, so no its not really, and im pretty sure all the people who think ehlers is good would still take any of these two over him, i would think

Archived