The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller wants to join a contender; possible new connection to Canucks?

TheRussianRocket.

I wouldn't be against bringing in a veteran goalie/mentor for Lack, but I don't think Miller is the guy.

I don't really want him, but I guess we'll see what happens. We're not a contender anyway, but where he goes will depend on which teams are looking for goalies. I imagine he'll want a job at the end of the day.

gimme a break.. Vancouver Canucks and Contender don't go in the same sentence.. at least not anymore.. we are so many pieces away to even be close to being a contender again.. first we need a legitimate first line.. the Sedins and Burrows are a very good 2nd line but no longer 1st line material that'll net you a point a game.. nothing the last 3 years shows they are not on the decline and is due for a rebound. Their style is getting boring and most teams have figured it out. so we need at least 2 legitimate top 6 preferably a top line player which don't really see any in the FA.. and don't think any of our rookies will blow you away and be a top 6 right away.. then there's our defense... there's way too many liability there and with all the NTC we gave up.. sure Benning can ask them for a list.. but at the end of the day they can just say no.. like edler..

Canucks will be a playoff team in 2015. Bank on it.

Miller's value took a hit over the past 2 years. He might find that there is not much interest at his current price.

Miller does not fit Van's time line if in fact Kesler wants out. Miller has not won anything. Stick with

Lack.

What about NYI as a destination for Miller?

I wouldn't really consider the Isles a contender (although I'd say they're closer than we are) but with the kind of money that Miller will be looking for and the goaltending situations around the league, I think he probably shouldn't be too choosy.

how come so many fans think our young goalies need so much sheltering? only reason schnieds was back up for so long was because he was stuck behind Lu...if hes on 20 other teams he wouldve been a 4 year starter already.

lack has shown he has all the skills needed to be a good starting goalie... why waste money on vet starter to mentor him, when money could be better used to upgrade the team in front of him? .. a better team in front of him will help a lot more..

and look at other starting goalies in the league and how many games they played as back up before they were named starters.... Quick 30ish games before he was the clear cut starter...Crawford 8 games ... Bishop 45games... Niemi 20ish games...MIller 40ish games...howard 9 games....price 41 games..cam ward 28 games...ect....lack has played 41.

if you need 90 games over 3 season to make up your mind on a goalie then he isnt a starter. everyone knew in 2010-11 season schnieds had everything it takes to be a good starter in this league and that was with 20ish games under his belt.. but he was just in a bad spot like bernier was behind Quick or rask behind Thomas.

Being a contender again would have to fall on much more than just adding one goalie lol...

Umm we weren't a contender with Luongo last season. How is miller any different?

This team needs another shot under a different coach other than Tortorella, at the time, I thought he would spark this team, he doused it with water and sucked the oxygen right out of them.

Last year was a brutal, injury ridden year and I believe it was a one-off; I believe with a new coach - preferably one that understands that the Sedins should not be used on the PK, and that this team was built for offence, and a fresh proven goaltender in goal, and some new faces in the lineup - this team will be back on track to where it should be. I don't buy that the Sedins and Burrows are done here, the chances were there all year(when healthy), they just never went in.

The only other thing this team needs then is the same thing it has needed for years, somebody for Kesler to play with that can put up solid points on a regular basis.

Wanting to join a contender typically means the player wants to join a team that was already in contention. Not that he wants to join a non playoff team and single handedly take on the burden of making them a contender.

If the Canucks are considered contenders then so are teams like the Leafs, Hurricane, Islanders, Jets...

Sign Miller for 1-3 years; let Lack/Markstrom perfect their game with Utica.

Canucks are a contender again with Miller, IMO.

With Miller and no other moves? No, we are a bubble team at best. Our bottom 6 is filled with depth players like Sestito and Dalpe and who ever else we have there. Booth? Yuck. We have 5 top 4 defenders that do the exact same thing.

The biggest obstacle is that Miller will target a Stanley cup contender.

Can anyone honestly say the Canucks are presently a Cup contender?

Miller will not politely sit and wait until the Canucks trade for, sign and draft the many missing pieces needed to become overnight Cup contenders.

With that in mind, you can more or less count Vancouver out of the running.

Lets bring an aging underperforming goalie clearly past his prime to the "goalie graveyard" known as the Canucks. I'd prefer cap space be used elsewhere. Lack had his 1st season as a starter and was totally not the problem this season. There should be great improvement from him this coming season and with cap spent to bolster our D and other players and a new coach brought in to play a possesion game, Lack is bound to have a great season. I see picking up Miller as a band-aid attempt at a quick fix to make a cup run which isnt what we need, theres too much to be done to contend and a goalie fix doesnt make us a contender.

Lack and Markstrom are our guys going forward. Anyway goaltending isn't the problem for us, contender or not...

goaltending is a problem in my mind. lack is good markstrom needs alot of work. lack has proven that he isn't quite ready to cary a load of number 1 spot yet... we need an experience goalie.. not saying miller is an answer a veteran experience is needed. markstorm still needs work in the minors.

There's no point in us solving a goalie problem that doesn't exist right now, [compared to all the other problems].

PLUS, I've got my chips on Lack having a breakout year this next season. He just seems like the type that learns faster by playing catch-up under pressure, rather than being nurtured like a baby. Whereas Markstrom is probably the complete opposite. Give them a few years together as they develop in parallel and they'll manage to both hit their stride.

Do we want to make the playoffs..?..Or do we want to win the SC...?....If we want to win the Cup we have to retool slow and steady...What's the point in blowing the budget on a goalie when we're not even close to being a legit contender.?.I commend fellow Canuck fans who are at least being realists in this regard.

Well, when you consider the injuries we had this season, and how they along with Torts, completely derailed the season, I think there is a decent chance we could be back in the playoffs.

There are alot of good pieces on the team, with the right coach, I don't see why we couldn't be a top 8 team. Yeah we aren't a cup contender like Chicago or LA, but we could still make the playoffs, maybe even go a round. MTL went from a top 3 pick, to being in the playoffs the next season, and now a year later are in the ECF.

The team we saw last season isn't what this team could be IMO. I guess that's my main point. The team how it is is capable of more, and there is upside for young players to contribute, and new moves to be made with a new management group.

I fully agree that we don't really know where this team will be next year. I remember Montreal a few years ago... small and lacked skill....I thought they were going to be terrible for years and years. The right GM and coach as well as adding some youth could make a huge difference for a team that spends to the cap every year. I think the fans don't care about Presidents Trophys and only want a team that can do damage come the playoffs.

Canucks will be a playoff team in 2015. Bank on it.

A first round KO is what I'd bet on if that's the case. Personally I'd prefer that we dont go all in to just make the playoffs, that accomplishes nothing. Let the team grow from within for a couple years, pick up a few pieces along the way, and turn back into a contender rather than being a free first round pass for a powerhouse team.

Archived