The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I feel like Virtanen has more physical traits but Kesler leaves him in the dust when it comes to IQ, which is really what sets the top players apart from the rest.

when i think of kesler, hockey IQ doesn't really come to mind...

Edited by avelanch

I feel like Virtanen has more physical traits but Kesler leaves him in the dust when it comes to IQ, which is really what sets the top players apart from the rest.

Actually most of what sets top players apart besides sheer natural talent is nothing more than a LOT of real, hard work.

Really? People tend to confuse vision with hockey IQ far too often. He certainly lacks offensive vision, but I don't know how you can question his hockey IQ..He anticipates the play well defensively and his positioning and on ice awareness are excellent.

Edited by Robongo
  • Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure Corey Perry has always been a smart player.. His knock in Junior and in his early prospect years was that he was not the fastest skater or agile. But his ability to find open ice and hockey IQ has made him into an elite player.

I've been following Perry since his junior days, and he wasn't the smartest player out there. It's true he also had issues with his skating, but hockey smarts was another problem of his. Often took bad penalties, was unreliable in his own end. It wasn't until his 5th year in the pros that he learn from his flaws.

Edited by shiznak

This is probably the first time i've seen somebody on cdc claim that Kesler had a high hockey iq.

That that I don't agree, but it's the first time that i've seen it here as opposed to Kesler having tunnel vision, isn't a playmaker, etc., which was of course false.

At the end of the day, hockey iq has become a very overused, misused and/or overrated term here.

Just saw his his PP goal from last night (in the highlights on the WHL site) and it was literally identical to the one he scored against Moose Jaw in early December. Virtanen on his off side on the PP, Sanheim, from the point, slides the puck over to him, Jake takes the slapper, puck's in the net

This is probably the first time i've seen somebody on cdc claim that Kesler had a high hockey iq.

That that I don't agree, but it's the first time that i've seen it here as opposed to Kesler having tunnel vision, isn't a playmaker, etc., which was of course false.

At the end of the day, hockey iq has become a very overused, misused and/or overrated term here.

I know I'm in the minority but I do think Kesler has a good amount of hockey IQ.

Of course, his vision leaves a lot to be desired but the guy knows how to play and is one of the best 2-way centres in the league.

Many forwards just think about attacking. IMO, it takes a little extra something to be able to acknowledge when to attack and defend appropriately, something Kesler is well known for.

Forwards who play the 200 foot game are smarter than the 100 footers IMO. They acknowledge the responsibilities they have at both ends of the ice. If only Virtanen could one day play like that...

I know I'm in the minority but I do think Kesler has a good amount of hockey IQ.

Of course, his vision leaves a lot to be desired but the guy knows how to play and is one of the best 2-way centres in the league.

Many forwards just think about attacking. IMO, it takes a little extra something to be able to acknowledge when to attack and defend appropriately, something Kesler is well known for.

Forwards who play the 200 foot game are smarter than the 100 footers IMO. They acknowledge the responsibilities they have at both ends of the ice. If only Virtanen could one day play like that...

Kesler has hockey IQ, as like Virtanen does. They just both have a shoot first mentality

I agree that Kesler is a smart player. He is a selfish one that would like to shoot 99 times out of 100 but he is not stupid. How anyone can call a two-way centre -- let alone one of the league's better ones -- an unintelligent player is beyond me.

In any case, I have no idea why a physical scoring winger is being compared to a two-way centreman.

EDIT: Never mind, nobody is necessarily calling him stupid. Still, he is a smart hockey player.

Edited by Canucks1219

Virtanen is fine, he's our sniper, he knows where to go.

We just need a play maker to complement him in the NHL.

Oh man, how sweet it would be to see Virty in a Rockets sweater...

I would buy seasons tickets

Edited by Tystick

You do realize points and hockey IQ come hand in hand? So Kesler does have a high hockey IQ.

Now that's just naive.

Just like shooting, passing, skating and puck skills are all attributes of players, not one by itself is an indeterminate result to points produced. So saying just because you have Hockey IQ, doesn't mean you're going to have lots of points.

Sam Reinhart might be the smartest player I've seen go through the draft in the last decade but do I think he's going to be an excellent point producer in the NHL? Not necessarily, his skating is below average and his shot isn't the hardest. We all know how "smart" Cody Hodgson was and he has 6 pts in 41 games; on pace for 12 points...

Edited by junglesniper

You do realize points and hockey IQ come hand in hand? So Kesler does have a high hockey IQ.

Ovechkin's IQ is not that high. He has unbelievable skills, one of the best shot in hockey, great skater, but he's much more an instinctive player that rely on his talent rather than being a smart player.

• Upvote 3

Really? People tend to confuse vision with hockey IQ far too often. He certainly lacks offensive vision, but I don't know how you can question his hockey IQ..He anticipates the play well defensively and his positioning and on ice awareness are excellent.

yeah, he has defensive awareness... but he takes way too many low percentage shots/ tries to do way too much by himself to have a high hockey IQ. i'm not saying he has none, but high? you'd have to be to think he does.

he certainly doesn't leave Virtanen in the dust in the hockey IQ category. I'd say they are fairly close, but neither are near the top of the top of the barrel. But that's fine, everything that isn't natural skill can be taught, and Jake already has shown signs of improvement.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1