The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I want to see Jake in the WHL next year. I'd love it if Benning could strongarm the Hitmen and say "If you don't trade him, we're going to bring him up to the NHL and then you'll have nothing. Trade him to Kelowna and at least you'll get something in return"

Pretty hot speculation that MacT did this exact slime-ball move to Prince Albert Raiders - kept LD on their roster and away from PA until they approached the magic '40 game' mark - then demanded PA trade him to a contender (rumored that he specifically demanded the Rockets) or they'd just keep him on the Oil and wouldn't care about burning a year off his contract. Again, rumors but you can do a search and hear some pretty sketchy things from some reliable reporters in/around the WHL on this topic.

Don't see JB and/or TL having ANYTHING to do with these types of tactics - nor would I want them to.

I'd like to see Virtanen learn to take a little off the shot for the purpose of accuracy. He misses the net a lot. He sure wires it but its useless if you dont make the goalie have to a make a save. Especially because he always shoots high so there is rarely rebounds. He would have a lot of assists if he learned how to shoot low for rebounds and redirections too.

Come on! It's been too long since we've had a guy like Jiri Slegr giving team mates free haircuts while standing net front!

wooooooooooooooooo :towel:

• Upvote 2

Pretty hot speculation that MacT did this exact slime-ball move to Prince Albert Raiders - kept LD on their roster and away from PA until they approached the magic '40 game' mark - then demanded PA trade him to a contender (rumored that he specifically demanded the Rockets) or they'd just keep him on the Oil and wouldn't care about burning a year off his contract. Again, rumors but you can do a search and hear some pretty sketchy things from some reliable reporters in/around the WHL on this topic.

Don't see JB and/or TL having ANYTHING to do with these types of tactics - nor would I want them to.

You're right, I certainly wouldn't want complete blackmail either. I do think it would be important for one of JB/TL to have a sense of the direction the Hitmen are going in before making a decision on JV.

See, comments like this make me question your hockey.

i understand the value of our prospects and players learning to play defense. But i also see skill players like Kane backstom ovi and kessel putting up numbers without being all that great defensively. Part of me thinks thatif Jensen was with the wings he'd be an nhl regular. Nyquist and Tatar are allowed to run around and do their own thing learning the league and make mistakes without the fear of being stapled to the bench.

Im speaking mostly in the past of course (AV/MG era). I am still in wait and see mode for our new management in regards to development.

Edit:I can see why you think that of me from that post and others as well. But we're all entitled to our own opinion right. Can't blame you for thinking that way.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

i understand the value of our prospects and players learning to play defense. But i also see skill players like Kane backstom ovi and kessel putting up numbers without being all that great defensively. Part of me thinks thatif Jensen was with the wings he'd be an nhl regular. Nyquist and Tatar are allowed to run around and do their own thing learning the league and make mistakes without the fear of being stapled to the bench.

Im speaking mostly in the past of course (AV/MG era). I am still in wait and see mode for our new management in regards to development.

Edit:I can see why you think that of me from that post and others as well. But we're all entitled to our own opinion right. Can't blame you for thinking that way.

Nyquist is 25 and Tatar has been in the AHL since 2009. Jensen is 21, we keep talking about development and then want to bi-pass it at the first opportunity

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1

What Fred said.

Also, learning to play proper hockey and not be 1-dimensional is not "sucking all the offense out".

I'll take a 30 goal scorer with solid d-play who only causes 10 goals against over a 35 goal scorer who causes 20 goals against any day. And you should too.

AKA - Yes you can have an opinion but don't blame me for thinking it's stupid when it is :P

Edited by J.R.

Kane, Backstrom, Ovie, Kessel = 4 guys 1 cup

Nyquist, Tatar = 137 and 255 AHL games played, respectively, nearly 400 combined to learn to play defense and play the right way before working themselves into the DET lineup permanently. Only now are they allowed a little leeway (if any) because they've finally earned their stripes in DET, having played 139 and 142 NHL games, respectively.

Jensen = 104 AHL games played and counting with 24 NHL games played - learning to play the right way and trying to earn his stripes in VAN when he's up

Nyquist is 25 and Tatar has been in the AHL since 2009. Jensen is 21, we keep talking about development and then want to bi-pass it at the first opportunity

well said. everyone wants prospects to develope but don't seem to understand the waiting game portion of player developement.

Damn.

I found an article by the Calgary Sun about Virtanen. I don't know about you guys, but Jake Virtanen is getting the Ryan Getzlaf treatment by Hitmen fans. They think he's the real deal and he'll be the next Ryan Getzlaf or somewhat of a player like him. Jake Virtanen said that he models his game a little after Getzlaf. Getzlaf won gold in 2005, plays like a PWF, had a really good shot, and went passed defenders with ease. He has a really good attitude in the locker room, on ice and off ice as well. He's apparently also captain material which is great to see.

Here is the article:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/12/calgary-hitmen-forward-jake-virtanen-flattered-by-comparisons-to-for-hitmen-great-ryan-getzlaf

Loving Virtanen by the minute!

• Upvote 2

Damn.

I found an article by the Calgary Sun about Virtanen. I don't know about you guys, but Jake Virtanen is getting the Ryan Getzlaf treatment by Hitmen fans. They think he's the real deal and he'll be the next Ryan Getzlaf or somewhat of a player like him. Jake Virtanen said that he models his game a little after Getzlaf. Getzlaf won gold in 2005, plays like a PWF, had a really good shot, and went passed defenders with ease. He has a really good attitude in the locker room, on ice and off ice as well. He's apparently also captain material which is great to see.

Here is the article:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/12/calgary-hitmen-forward-jake-virtanen-flattered-by-comparisons-to-for-hitmen-great-ryan-getzlaf

Loving Virtanen by the minute!

Thanks for the article! I was talking with my dad about who should be Captain in the future and I said Horvat ( b/c of how mature he is and other things). My dad said Virtanen (b/c he is one of those players guys will look up to in the dressing room, he plays with such passion other guys will gravitate towards that and play harder.

Who do you think should be captain. Horvat or Virtanen ( or other be specific)

We're not Detroit, but I think those guys weren't in the league faster was because they needed to gain strength. Look at Mantha coming in a lot sooner. Jensen still has fundamental issues to work out, like consistency and hockey iq, especially without the puck. But he's close.

Here's a site that may be of interest to you:

CHLStats

It's basically an "advanced stats" database for CHL players. It's relatively new (looks like the site opened in 2014) so I don't know the accuracy of the numbers, but it still gives an interesting look at players' ice times (estimated) and stuff like that.

According to the site, Virtanen averages just under 16 minutes (15:53 -- sounds about right) which is much less than other top prospects around the CHL.

Here are some comparisons between he and other CHL 1st-round forwards from the 2014 draft (keep in mind they are estimates and that some players have played many more/much fewer games than others). I've left out Nick Ritchie as his stats are really skewed after being traded midseason.

Here is the format:

Player

Games played

Estimated TOI

Estimated points/60 minutes

Sam Reinhart

17GP

24:08

Michael Dal Colle

31GP

26:30

Jake Virtanen

23GP

15:53

Nikolaj Ehlers

25GP

33:32

Brendan Perlini

14GP

21:46

Sonny Milano

22GP

28:33

Robby Fabbri

22GP

30:47

Conner Bleackley

40GP

20:28

Jared McCann

33GP

20:38

Nikita Scherbak

36GP

24:33

Josh Ho-Sang

32GP

20:35

John Quenneville

35GP

15:19

• Upvote 1

another gold medal and a memmorial cup before he starts in van would be sweet no need to rush the kid give him 1.5 mote yrs to get stronger he will be a beast if he gains 10 more pounds of muscle and even more explosiveness in his skating which already is world class

Why the change of heart? You were one of the biggest proponents of him making the Canucks next season, not too long ago.