The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'd rather him go to junior for another year and then half a season in the AHL. No need to burn a year off his UFA eligibility for playing minimal minutes on the 4th line. Let him ripen before bringing him up full time.

• Upvote 2

I'd rather him go to junior for another year and then half a season in the AHL. No need to burn a year off his UFA eligibility for playing minimal minutes on the 4th line. Let him ripen before bringing him up full time.

I think he will get his 9 game deal with the Canucks, but that depends on how he trains over the summer.

Ice the best team. JB has already shown he doesn't care about the ELC (see horvat). If virtanen can play on this team, he should be here.

• Upvote 3

I think he will get his 9 game deal with the Canucks, but that depends on how he trains over the summer.

The '9 games' is overrated by far too many on here. We're likely to have a roster full of waiver eligible players next season, so who would we waive to make room for Virtanen?

Of course, if Benning thinks he's been good enough in preseason to potentially make it, I think he gets the chance to play regardless of the number of games. He won't just get 9 games because people want to see him in an NHL game though.

The '9 games' is overrated by far too many on here. We're likely to have a roster full of waiver eligible players next season, so who would we waive to make room for Virtanen?

Of course, if Benning thinks he's been good enough in preseason to potentially make it, I think he gets the chance to play regardless of the number of games. He won't just get 9 games because people want to see him in an NHL game though.

Kenins?

How about trade a winger or two. Higgins/Burrows/Vrbata/Kassian/Hansen

• Upvote 1

Kenins?

To elaborate.... Not that I think this is even likely but it's not impossible we go with the following for 9 games:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Dorsett, Richardson/UFA/Cassels, Virtanen

Higgins dealt, Kenins sent to Utica. If Virtanen doesn't stick you call Kenins (or Gaunce, Grenier etc) up.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Dorsett/Kenins, Richardson/UFA/Cassels, Dorsett/Gaunce/Grenier.

That said, I'm sadly guessing it's more likely we see:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Hansen, Horvat, Kassian

Higgins, Richardson/UFA/Cassels, Dorsett

We had no problem letting Schroeds go to free agency last year. One would think that waiver eligibility isn't exactly job security.

How about trade a winger or two. Higgins/Burrows/Vrbata/Kassian/Hansen

Waivers is not job security, and we'll probably be letting Matthias go for that reason. But there's the balance of of security because you were here last year and security because your a top prospect and they moved a bunch of players to accommodate you.

Kenins?

Until we move someone, he's in tough for a spot as well. If we do make space, Virtanen would then be taking that spot for the 9 games if that's really all we want to do with him.

Playing sheltered minutes for half a season at the NHL level to get his feet wet and then expanding his role as the NHL season progresses.

I want this to be the new model for first rounders as in the salary cap world, you can't afford to wait 2-4 years for a high drafted player to ripen.

I honestly feel it will play out just as horvat did. Make the team, play sheltered fourth line minutes and as the season progresses, minutes and reponsibilities progress. If he was able to go to Utica, then I would send him there, but seeing as he cannot, then I think easing into the bigs in a sheltered role is best for his development. IMHO

I think that Johhny the Pizza guy that calls in to 1040 everyday and gets worked up because he thinks he knows the game having played with Vincent Lecavalier growing up.

Yeah... us hardcore fans of sports are a pretty sad bunch.

Johnny from neighbours!

Love that guy because when ever I disagree with him I can walk 100m and have a discussion on my lunch break lol

Especially in the canucks system I would normally agree with you. But what BO did last year I'm not entirely worried about Jake burning a year while playing poorly

We had no problem letting Schroeds go to free agency last year. One would think that waiver eligibility isn't exactly job security.

No, not job security, but it shows that there's really something wrong if they keep letting go of their 1st round picks. If Jensen ends up going the way of Schroeds, that will be really terrible.

With Matthias walking, it looks like the Nucks traded Luongo for Markstrom straight up.

Man, they sure have some great scouts eh?

Hopefully he gets his 9 games, goes to the world juniors and then the Canucks make a decision on him.

So you'd prefer he sits in the press box a fair amount to delay that 9 games and then goes to the WJHC? And before you say, "but Bo did it," Bo had some time off for an injury and then had a conditioning stint in the AHL to offset his NHL time. So are you hoping Virtanen has an injury that takes him out of the lineup?

It is a bonus he's been doing the right things in his Utica stint, and the only way it could be better is if he was producing as well. It's a good sign for next year, but we'll see how it all works out.