The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

So you'd prefer he sits in the press box a fair amount to delay that 9 games and then goes to the WJHC? And before you say, "but Bo did it," Bo had some time off for an injury and then had a conditioning stint in the AHL to offset his NHL time. So are you hoping Virtanen has an injury that takes him out of the lineup?

It is a bonus he's been doing the right things in his Utica stint, and the only way it could be better is if he was producing as well. It's a good sign for next year, but we'll see how it all works out.

I actually forgot about Horvat's injury. Crap.

I guess just being around the team can't hurt. A few nights in the press box might be a learning experience? Idk it's a tricky situation. We'll see come next season. I'm already pumped!

So you'd prefer he sits in the press box a fair amount to delay that 9 games and then goes to the WJHC? And before you say, "but Bo did it," Bo had some time off for an injury and then had a conditioning stint in the AHL to offset his NHL time. So are you hoping Virtanen has an injury that takes him out of the lineup?

It is a bonus he's been doing the right things in his Utica stint, and the only way it could be better is if he was producing as well. It's a good sign for next year, but we'll see how it all works out.

Just remember Bo scored for the first time in his ninth game. I don't mind if Virtanen doesn't score, as long as he works hard and doesn't become a defensive liability.

Just remember Bo scored for the first time in his ninth game. I don't mind if Virtanen doesn't score, as long as he works hard and doesn't become a defensive liability.

It's pretty obvious that AHL 'production' doesn't even matter. If it did, Linden Vey would be a legit top-6 forward in the NHL by now.

For sure, and as I said it'd just be the cherry on top if he started scoring as well in his first pro stint (especially since it's the playoffs and the Comets don't score a tonne).

Yeah 4.5 mil or whatever he was making for a starting goalie is pretty disgusting.

Yeah, kind of funny how his GAA still hung in where it normally has been. Fans in this city get pissed if a goalie can't maintain .995 GAA and .25 save percentage.

He's still a great goalie, really unfortunate that we have a lot of fans who don't have realistic expectations.

We had no problem letting Schroeds go to free agency last year. One would think that waiver eligibility isn't exactly job security.

Love the sig. Aquila and his bros would never approve missing the playoffs on purpose. They want the players and management to give full effort to be a competitive enough team each year so they can make the playoffs.

They are worried about losing fan interest, ticket sales, and revenue.

Benning is trying to retool on the fly like the Red Wings and get younger while the core still has a couple years of solid enough hockey left to make the playoffs but not be contenders.

Yet he doesn't want to mortgage the future.

Any true major changes and team building moves will take place after the Sedins finish their contract and become 2nd line players in a few more years time.

The Canucks will spin their wheels for another 3-4 years before there are any deep cutting roster changes to exorcise the demons of the core who failed in the 2011 final.

Yeah, kind of funny how his GAA still hung in where it normally has been. Fans in this city get pissed if a goalie can't maintain .995 GAA and .25 save percentage.

He's still a great goalie, really unfortunate that we have a lot of fans who don't have realistic expectations.

You mixed up the stats :bigblush::picard:

Love the sig. Aquila and his bros would never approve missing the playoffs on purpose. They want the players and management to give full effort to be a competitive enough team each year so they can make the playoffs.

Benning is trying to retool on the fly like the Red Wings and get younger while the core still has a couple years of solid enough hockey left to make the playoffs but not be contenders.

Any true major changes and team building moves will take place after the Sedins finish their contract and become 2nd line players in a few more years time.

The Canucks will spin their wheels for another 3-4 years before there are any deep cutting roster changes to exorcise the demons of the core who failed in the 2011 final.

Who said it would be on purpose? We very reasonably finished 6th-last a short time ago and now the Sedins are 2 years older.

Note they're already losing fan interest through this pretend phase they're in, and we didn't even sell out those precious playoff games they oh so value.

Retooling on the fly doesn't exist. What the team is doing is exactly what Calgary did years before. Waiting for the core to grow stale for years and then finally collapse. I would rather short circuit that process and accelerate the rebuild using good draft years. I am tired of watching this team fail, decade after decade.

But I'll let Trev and Jim make the call. It's not like we as fans have any say.

ps. Why bring this up in a Virtanen thread? I support the Virtanen pick even though a lot of stat junkies do not.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs
  • Upvote 1

Who said it would be on purpose? We very reasonably finished 6th-last a short time ago and now the Sedins are 2 years older.

Note they're already losing fan interest through this pretend phase they're in, and we didn't even sell out those precious playoff games they oh so value.

Retooling on the fly doesn't exist. What the team is doing is exactly what Calgary did years before. Waiting for the core to grow stale for years and then finally collapse. I would rather short circuit that process and accelerate the rebuild using good draft years. I am tired of watching this team fail, decade after decade.

ps. Why bring this up in a Virtanen thread? I support the Virtanen pick even though a lot of stat junkies do not.

I do expect Benning to make a move before puck drop this fall. Hopefully a multi player deal with Miller

and a skater for a dman. It won't stop there as some of the UFA's will be moved or let walk. The Canucks

played over their heads last spring and Lack was a big part of that.

I don't really see either of those as the game plan for the organization moving forward.

They're waiting for youth to start making a push and doing everything they can to accelerate that IMO. The next couple years is going to see a LOT of roster turnover IMO through either vets being moved and/or their contracts expiring and youth simply taking jobs. It's been a while coming but those kids are getting to the point they're going to be ready this coming season and the one's following. They're FINALLY coming. At least at forward anyway...

The only "core" guys who will be immune from that IMO will be the Sedins and likely Edler. Sure we may decide to re-sign one of Bieksa/Hamhuis, maybe even Burrows or Hansen at cheaper cap hits if they're wanting to stay in lesser roles and willing to pay for a bit less than they might get elsewhere but otherwise there's going to be a LOT of guys on the move in the next couple years as youth graduates and they make trades/sign UFA's to augment even that.

IMO, Vrbata and one of Hamhuis/Bieksa are gone next deadline. I'd LOVE to see Miller gone this summer (though I'm doubtful that happens) but he's gone after the following year for sure as his contract expires. Higgins may get dealt this off season or again at this/next deadline. Bonino's only got two more year at a cheap cap hit and could be moved in two deadlines as Horvat/McCann/Cassels become ready to take 2C, 3C and 4C spots (and eventually take over once the twins retire).

The D-core however has less of a clear succession plan at this point. I await to see how they tackle that this/next year. It needs a LOT of work. On a good note, Benning's done a good job of stockpiling prospect bodies which increases the odds of getting actual NHL'ers from that pool and allows for us to move some of the lesser-lights for other needs/futures.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

I am also not concerned with the forwards or the goaltending. But if we don't do something big to address the defense, be it with high picks, low picks, whatever, then we're going to blow it with the prospect group we've assembled thus far. If we pick up a project defenseman and let him take years and years to finally make the NHL, then winning likely isn't in the cards. But if we select a franchise-level defenseman instead and have him make an immediate impact, NOW we're talking.

I think Jim and Trev know this, and that's why they were pushing for Ekblad, not Reinhart, when they were in talks with Florida.

Should be an interesting summer.

I am also not concerned with the forwards or the goaltending. But if we don't do something big to address the defense, be it with high picks, low picks, whatever, then we're going to blow it with the prospect group we've assembled thus far. If we pick up a project defenseman and let him take years and years to finally make the NHL, then winning likely isn't in the cards. But if we select a franchise-level defenseman instead and have him make an immediate impact, NOW we're talking.

I think Jim and Trev know this, and that's why they were pushing for Ekblad, not Reinhart, when they were in talks with Florida.

Choke4Chychrun. Honestly though he's a stud. A Doughty/Weber Hybrid.

Yup, the success/failure of this current "retool on the fly" hinges directly on what they do with the D and how well that works out in the next ~2 years IMO. If it works out :towel: If not.... there's going to be a tough few years :picard:

Be interesting to watch though!

giphy.gif

Edited by J.R.

difference being Benning, Linden & WD are much better team builders than those CGY predecessors.

difference being Benning, Linden & WD are much better team builders than those CGY predecessors.

Is that really true, WD seems to be less trusting of a youth movement ( and why not it's his neck on the line, he reluctantly gave Bo a spot) ) while JB + TL are lets move towards youth. Just think where we'd be if we had introduced more youth last season....better prepared for this coming season

Yup, the success/failure of this current "retool on the fly" hinges directly on what they do with the D and how well that works out in the next ~2 years IMO. If it works out :towel: If not.... there's going to be a tough few years :picard:

Be interesting to watch though!

giphy.gif

You telling me that it is not?

Edited by Qwags

I don't support the retool on the fly thing, because it rarely ever works. Look at the teams who have won the cup over the last decade, how many have retooled on the fly and how many were properly rebuilt? There's no comparison. Retooling on the fly is about money, it's not about winning cups and that's concerning to me. I will continue to support the the team and watch games, but for me there are stipulations now.

There have been some dark times in Canucks history and bad teams that put zero effort into anything, 2013/2014 reminded me of those times. It was the first season in about 15 years I didn't watch the entire season, I didn't even make it through half of 2013/2014.

All I saw were a bunch of players play the most boring and uninspired hockey imaginable. I don't care if the team sucks and is rebuilding, retooling, whatever....but they damn well better try and have some youth and skill on ice. I will never waste my time watching garbage like the 2013/14 Canucks again.

Edited by FlyLow_